Viking River Tour-Amsterdam to Basel?

Linwyn

We took Viking from Passau back to Passau on the Danube almost 2 years ago.

They are a very good company. We did have a mess up with our arrival - not their fault, but the fault of their Swiss agent who booked us on the wrong boat. On the Monday 8we sailed Sunday) my TA and Viking sorted it out and we were transferred to the boat we had booked. From then on we had a great time!

The cabin was lovely and housekeeping excellent. The food, to my surprise, reflected where we were at the time at lunch and dinner - ie Wiener Schnitzel in Vienna, goulash in Budapest. I didn't expect this and we all enjoyed it.

It was a German speaking boat and we expected to speak German and go with everyone else on the tours with German guides. However once they realised there were 10 or so "anglos" on board, they not only produced English speaking guides for us but also gave us daily briefings in English! Now that is service! We could certainly have coped with the German, but didn't have to.

I would imagine the same standards apply on the Rhine.

Just one hint. If you do this cruise do plan to spend at least 2 nights in Basel. It is a wonderful city with terrific museums. As a guest at a Basel hotel you are given a "Mobility card" which entitles you to free public transportation (busses, trams etc) during your stay. There are around 50 museums to visit! And there are good restaurants as well. Great place!

Archived