Onboard Credit - I think I misunderunderstood!

I'm a bit embarassed but willing to expose my ignorance in the hope someone out there can clarify things for me...

I booked another cruise many months ago during my last cruise. I thought onboard credit meant that I could use that credit during my next cruise, such as drinks and excursions. I'm beginning to think that I totally misunderstood and that the credit instead went toward the price of the cruise itself.

Question #1 - What does onboard credit mean?

While making the booking, the "loyalty ambassador", who actually was a musician standing in for the "loyalty ambassador," gave me a quote for a cruise that he said came from my same online TA that I booked the current cruise from. The price seemed reasonable and I gave him my credit card to hold the booking.

I didn't hear from anyone for months so I called RCCI and they confirmed my booking with my online TA. However, my online TA had no record of this but, thanks to my inquiry, they do now.

Question #2 - was the reason the price seemed so reasonable because the onboard credit was applied to the quote? Did I lose my chance to seek a better price? Did I pay RCCI's listed price? My final payment is the first week in September.

I feel so dumb.

It does get confusing at times, doesn't it! Better to ask than to not know!

The credit you receive is in fact an ONBOARD credit that goes against your seapass account. It will cover any expense charged to your seapass during the cruise. It does not offset your cruise fare.

Working on a ship as a musician does NOT mean you just play music. They are required to help out in other areas also. Our on board booking was made by one of the ship's singers. They access the RCI prices. Now that your TA has record of the booking you can get your price adjusted HOWEVER, you must make sure the TA retains the original booking number. You can change sailing dates, change itineraries, whatever - provided you keep that booking number.

Regrettably - now that this new pricing policy is in effect - it is hard to say if you can get a lower price. If you go onto RCI's website, you can pull up your cruise and see what they are currently quoting for your cruise. This will give you a guideline regarding the price you contracted.

Hopefully this helps answer your question.

Thanks for your help - at least I now know I'll get to use the onboard credit towards ONBOARD purchases of GOODs and not cruise purchase price.

BUT I really hate that I am paying RCCL price for what I thought was a discount cruise agent price, and after booking so long ago!

Any more ideas?

Most cruise agents will give you their price after receiving the transfer of booking from RCI. Now that RCIs' discount policy has changed, I'm not sure whether any discounts are still available from your TA, but it won't hurt to ask.

I have never heard of the on board booking credit being taken off the cruise price, it's always been applied to our sign & sail account. Perhaps some people are confused because they booked onboard at the RCL price and then when there booking was transferred to their TA the price was adjusted? It might "LOOK" like their onboard credit was used to reduce the price, when in reality it was just the discounted price from the TA.

Just my thoughts,

I too thought that our $200 shipboard credit had been deducted from our final payment. When we received our invoice from the TA, after final payment, the total amount was $200 less than before. :rolleyes: I contacted our TA and she reminded me that we had turned in C & A coupon worth $200 and that was taken off the final payment. The $200 shipboard credit should still be intact - I hope!

When you book a future cruise onboard, you receive a discount on the cruise price, not an onboard credit.
jwlane - Where do you get your information that this policy will now change?

Archived