Onboard Credit - I think I misunderunderstood!

I'm a bit embarassed but willing to expose my ignorance in the hope someone out there can clarify things for me...

I booked another cruise many months ago during my last cruise. I thought onboard credit meant that I could use that credit during my next cruise, such as drinks and excursions. I'm beginning to think that I totally misunderstood and that the credit instead went toward the price of the cruise itself.

Question #1 - What does onboard credit mean?

While making the booking, the "loyalty ambassador", who actually was a musician standing in for the "loyalty ambassador," gave me a quote for a cruise that he said came from my same online TA that I booked the current cruise from. The price seemed reasonable and I gave him my credit card to hold the booking.

I didn't hear from anyone for months so I called RCCI and they confirmed my booking with my online TA. However, my online TA had no record of this but, thanks to my inquiry, they do now.

Question #2 - was the reason the price seemed so reasonable because the onboard credit was applied to the quote? Did I lose my chance to seek a better price? Did I pay RCCI's listed price? My final payment is the first week in September.

I feel so dumb.

When booking a future cruise while on a current cruise, you will receive an onboard booking credit. The amount depends upon the length of the future cruise. It's $100.00 for a 7 day, $50.00 for a 3,4 or 5 day, and more for longer cruises. The credit will be for your future cruise to use for purchases on your cruise. Examples, store purchases, drinks, or if you use your sea pass to pay for your tips, it can be used for part of tips too.

If they transferred the booking to your travel agent, then the price would be whatever they would have discounted you if you booked directly with the travel agent. Usually when booking onboard, they will give the travel agent you used for that cruise the booking. You can call Royal Caribbean and check to make sure they show the onboard booking credit, or your travel agent can find this out for you.

The onboard credit can be used against the balance on your ships charge. I don't think they make any distinction as to whether your ships charge has drinks, excursions, tips, clothes, bingo. They just apply it to your account as a credit.

Is this a second thread from this poster? I posted yesterday and now my post is missing along with others. :confused:

Yes, it is. I noticed yesterday it was here twice, I posted to the other thread too.

Archived