most time efficient way to get from Vatican to Colosseum

What is the most time efficent way to get from the Vatican to the Colosseum? Since we our going to buy BIRG tickets at the Civ. train station I was thinking to possibly take the metro since its including in the cost, but how long would that take? Assuming we catch the metro at either Cipro or Ottaviano and then take it to the termini, get off, and get on metro B and take that to the Colosseum. That seems like it would take awhile. Anyone who has done this know approx. how long it takes? Is it faster just to take a taxi from the Vatican to the Colosseum? If so where is the best place to catch a taxi? Or just stick with the metro? Thanks in advance.

When we were there in May we had a quick trip between the Colliseum and the Vatican (reverse order of yours) using the #64 bus (included in BIRG ticket). We had to stand up most of the way but it was just not that far and we passed the Tiber River which was the only chance we got to see it in our busy day.

There is a taxi stand just in front of St. Peter's.

The metro stops are several minutes' walk from the Vatican, so factor that into your time analysis.

Taxis are pretty reasonable,we haven't paid for than 7-10 euros for most hops across Rome (Via Veneto to St Peters and St Peters to Barberini).

Let me throw another thing in here...if you need to get around in a hurry this will not work and you have been given some good replies,BUT,if you have the time I would say walk.There is so much you can see as Rome is like a living museum,and with a good city map you can see lots of things along the way.Just a thought.

Can I jump in here with a couple question? If you are walking from the Tiber River toward the Colsseum do you go thru the Roman Forum first? Is Palatine Hill off to the right of the Roman Forum? I have read if the lines are long at the Colosseum to go to Palatine Hill first and get tickets. Is that on the way or are you back tracking?

Thanks for all your help!

How long would you guess it takes to walk between the two? Not jogging, but just a slightly fast paced walk ~ I've read and heard that's part of what makes Rome so spectacular, just walking among it all. Of course we're only there for the day, so I'm trying to determine if walking between the two is just out of the question - that is if we want to do/see anything else.

Can I jump in here with a couple question? If you are walking from the Tiber River toward the Colsseum do you go thru the Roman Forum first? Is Palatine Hill off to the right of the Roman Forum? I have read if the lines are long at the Colosseum to go to Palatine Hill first and get tickets. Is that on the way or are you back tracking?

Thanks for all your help!

Here is an interactive map that shows the relationship between the Forum, Palatine Hill, and the Colosseum. The Tiber river is more or less curving around on the left. Coming from the direction of the Tiber/Vatican, you can walk around the Piazza Venezia to reach the Forum (Foro Romano) and then head down the Via Sacra, through the Arch of Titus, and you will end up close to the place where the Palatine ticket office is, IIRC.

http://www.capitolium.org/eng/fori/pianta.htm

However you get to the Colosseum, it's not much of a backtrack to get the tickets, especially if the lines are long at the Colosseum.

How long would you guess it takes to walk between the two? Not jogging, but just a slightly fast paced walk ~ I've read and heard that's part of what makes Rome so spectacular, just walking among it all. Of course we're only there for the day, so I'm trying to determine if walking between the two is just out of the question - that is if we want to do/see anything else.

Walking at a good clip it would still probably take about 45 minutes. Could easily be an hour if you stop and admire anything on the way.

We started to do the walk from Colliseum area to the Vatican, but met some other young tourists along the way who had been in Roma several days and they showed us where to catch the #64 bus which made it a lot faster trip than walking! They had walked it the day before but took the bus with us as they said it cut the time in half! We were there in mid May so the traffic may not have been as bad as later in the season. As it was we probably walked over 15 miles on our "super packed" day in Rome! In one day we took the English-speaking tour of the Colliseum, viewed the Palantine Hill area and the Forum, the Pantheon, Piazza Navonne, Trevi Fountain, the Vatican-St. Peter's and the Vatican Museums,and the Spanish Steps - plus we had a glimpse of Circus Maximus, the new government building with all the steps, the Tiber River and more! We were definitely exhausted after that marathon 12 hour day and we had an hour+ ride each way on the train to and from Civitivecchia! I would not recommend doing this unless you are very fit, can just live on gelato and have only one day in Rome and a HUGE desire to see all you can! We will definitely plan to get back there soon and really enjoy the ambience of that great city.

Thanks for the info everyone. One other question though, has anyone avoided the colosseum line by telling the guard you want to take the guided tour offered by the colossuem. In his book, Rick Steve says you can do that instead of going to the Palentine Hill to get the tickets and then go back? Has anyone did it this way?

While we were in line at the Colosseum, they asked if anyone wanted to take the next tour. We were there pretty early in the morning, so the line wasn't too bad, and we were already close to the front. In this case, there was a tour leaving soon, and since it wasn't full, they let people skip ahead if they wanted to join it. I don't know how often that happens, though. The entrance to the Palatine Hill is really close, so it's probably a safer bet just to do that. There was absolutely no line there, when we went by.

One more thing to keep in mind - Even if you have tickets in advance, remember that there may still be a line to get through security.

I took the metro last month and it worked perfectly. It's about a 7-10 min walk from the Vatican to the metro station, followed by the 2 metro rides. Maybe I just lucked out that I did not have to wiat long to connect on a Metro B train. The whole thing took about 35 minutes. Given the cost and efficiency, I'd do it again in a second. Buying your Colosseum ticket at Palatine Hill is a great time saver too.

Thanks for the info everyone. One other question though, has anyone avoided the colosseum line by telling the guard you want to take the guided tour offered by the colossuem. In his book, Rick Steve says you can do that instead of going to the Palentine Hill to get the tickets and then go back? Has anyone did it this way?

I took Rick Steve's suggestion to get tix at Palatine Hill and it worked perfectly. No line to by the ticket, I got to see Palatine Hill (which I probably would not have otherwise), and I only had to wait about 5-10 minutes to clear Colosseum security.

Archived