My Crown review 7/5 - 7/14

crissyp

Well, I've been home for 4 days now and just finished my last load of laundry!! Before I start, just remember "unpacking" is worst than "packing"

Traveling - Myself 49, Hubby 49, daugher 19, son 17, sons friend 17. Left from Long Island on Thursday 7/5 at 11:00 am and arrived at the terminal around noon. ( lots of traffic on the BQE). We traveled with 15 other people, lots of teens and some of their parents and grandparents as well.

Very smooth arrival, we drove ourselves, no lines, and were on the ship by 12:30.

Cabins- Myself and my husband were on Dolphin Deck, D727. My son and his friend across the hall in D711, and my daughter and her friends all the way forward ( first cabin ) D103. Loved my mini suite, and did not mind my open balcony. For the inside cabins the the kids were in, bring night lights..those cabins are pitch black. We all know how teenagers can sleep, they have no idea of the time of day when they're in there!

Dining - Late traditional dining 8:15 pm.

Pretty rough nite for inexperienced cruisers...12 ft. waves..rocking and rolling... No one in our party was too bothered by the rocking and rolling, but it made sleeping kind of interesting:eek:

Friday 7/6 - Our first sea day...Explored the ship, scrambled for lounges, yes it is a challenge, but you can usually find one somewhere. We actually found a few in the same vicinity and moved them all together

Our second night on the ocean....12 ft waves AGAIN!! was worried that we might miss Bermuda. If I remember correctly, I'm pretty sure this was the night we set our clocks 1 hour ahead.

Saturday 7/7...Bermuda...we made it!! A little overcase, some light rain.

Waited on line to get bus/ferry passes for $12.00 per person. Decided to jump the bus and head to Horsebay. Took a chance with the weather, but after arriving it cleared up beautiful and we decided to spend the whole day there. Amazing Beach, great snorkeling..bathroom facilities, and snack stand with burgers, hot dogs, drinks, and ice cream. Also, alittle stand set up to buy beers and some alcoholic drinks. We rented chairs and umbrellas also. Make sure you take the dollar van back up to the bus stop, if not plan for a nice hike UPHILL!!

Sunday 7/8...Sea day, another scramble for chairs, got up to the pool around 10 am...Every chair either had a towel, someone shoes, book, etc on it being saved. I actually witnessed a "heated discussion" between the deck crew and a passenger about them removing her things from a saved chair. Let's just say, she was not happy!

Monday 7/9 - San Juan, grabbed a driver with a small bus, and it was like a private bus for us. He didn't take anyone else. He suggested Isla Verde Beach, and off we went! Fun ride, great driver, he even suggested that we stop at a small grocery store to stock up on some beer, water and snacks . We bought some styrofoam coolers, packed them up with all our goodies and off we went! Great Beach, rented chairs and umbrellas. They had a outside bar/grill right at the entrance to the beach. Had a great burger there and a few drinks. Great atmosphere, great locals...we had alot of fun with them. The teens in our groups, 19 yr old's had a blast up there...Don't forget....they can purchase beer/alcohol at 18 on the Island, so try and keep an eye on them;) They even served the 17 yr olds beer:eek: Our driver was there around 4 pm to pick us up, took us back to the ship, we showered and headed in to Old San Juan to explore. Walked around, and somehow ended up at Senor' Frogs...I think those teens planned that out very carefully...anyway, we all went in. They were not going in there on their own!!! We actually had alot of fun there, really big party atmosphere, had a few drinks " yards" at $17.00 a piece. Ate, drank, danced the night away. Headed out of there around 10 pm, walked back to ship. Think we turned BACK clocks 1 hour...don't really remember,Oh, we paid $4 pp each way for transportation to Isla Verde.

Tuesday 7/10....St. Thomas...Again, had found someone to drive us all to town and then to the beach. Transportation here was $$...$4.00 into town, shopped for about 1 1/2 hours, and then headed to Sapphire Beach.

$10 pp each way to beach and back to ship. Total $24 pp x 5 = $120..

Found some great bargain on designer sunglasses while shopping, and bought some liquor at very low prices and had it delivered back to the ship. ( we received it in our cabin by 7/13) Now, the ride of our lives to Sapphire Beach. What an adventure that was, when I saw my DH and DS starting to get alittle nervous, I started to freak out alittle. I thought we were going to DIE!! But then I talked myself into believing that this women does this drive everyday of her life and knows these roads like the back of her hand...Was glad to get to the Beach!! Great beach, kids all rented jet ski's $50 for half an hour, good snorkeling, great grill!! Bathrooms were available, but I think only one was working...Ladies and Gents, don't go in there barefoot:eek: Lot's of very large Iguana' walking all over the place...Loved this beach! Headed back to the ship around 2:45pm, made it back by 3:30!! Just a reminder, get back in time...I heard they did leave some people behind, and that they had to fly to Miami to catch up with the ship in Grand Turk $$$$$

Wednesday 7/11...Grand Turk...Loved this stop, nice layed back day at the pool, beach, Margaretivlle. Loved all the little shops, great snorkeling,

did not have to worry about transportation and getting back to the ship because it is literally right in front of you! One tip...Get off the ship early if you want to find a decent spot to hang out....Loung chairs were taken or saved once again!

Thursday 7/12....Sea Day...Great pool day, found some lounges, ate, relaxed, some nice drink's of the day. Nice day....until the Medical Center broke in with an announcement that they had a critical patient on board and asked that if anyone was 0+ or 0- and had their Blood Donor Card with them to report directly to the Medical Center. My husband and I are all donors, but none of us had packed our donor cards. I did see alot of people actually jump up from their chairs and run!! I was very impressed at the reaction from our fellow cruisers. I will make sure to bring our donor cards with us on all future vacations!!!

Friday 7/13....Sea Day....Another pool day, heard that the patient was now in stable condition. I was sooo worried for that family. Not sure what the problem was but it really disturbed me. I hoped and prayed that everything worked out for them! Started to pack...and try to organize everyone's things. We were cream 3 to depart, but changed to cream 1 so we could get off with my daughter and her friends.

Saturday 7/14...We're back...left our room at 8am and did not get called off the shp until 10:45...Friends of ours were Cream 3 and got called off at 11:30...Grabbed ALL of our luggage and a porter and headed outside...

7/14 cruisers were already there, and the traffice was horrible!! My suggestion to future cruisers, do not arrive before noon!! Arrived home in East Meadow, Long Island around 1pm...

Cruise Director...Kevlin...funny guy...left with us on 7/14 to go home to England for a while, said he will be back in October for Alaska Cruises.

Shows...Did not see any of the major production shows, but did see Jeff Taveggia a comedy juggling act in the Explorers Lounge, saw Spank in Explorers, Tim Triplett a comedy Hypnotist in the Princess Theater, actually stayed for the second show for the adult only show...pretty funny stuff going on up there on that stage...My husband was called up, but could not go under so came back to our seats. Saw Sarge...hysterical!!

Food...Just ok. Was not crazy about some of it...Dined at Sabitini's and the Crown Grill...Was ok...but I would not go again if I were to cruise with Princess. Buffet lines were alittle crazy, but everyone was usually very polite. After a few days of the normal breakfast items at the buffet, we decided to go to the International Cafe for some pastries and coffee...Loved it there ( best jelly donut I think I've ever tasted;) )

Great Cruise, Great times, I am still feeling the motion of the ship alittle after 4 days of being home...Nothing unbearable, but a nice reminder of my vacation. I have all the patters from the cruise if anyone has specific questions, I will do my best to answer. Have fun all future cruisers,

Crissy

Hi, thanks for the review..I was on the Crown last October and just had a great time. Going again on 9/6 with my grown kids and looking to have a another great time.

We had Sarge on our cruise he was hilarious.

Been to San Juan a few times and just didn't know what to do...but I think we will try Isla Verdi. Did they have activities there? Like jet skis and such?

I saw jet ski's out, not sure were they were rented out from. We had planned to save that for Sapphire Beach in St. Thomas. Isla Verde had some small to moderate size waves, jet skiing there would have been alittle thrilling :eek: Loved the beach though, water was clean and very refreshing...I think anybody would love it.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Crissy

I would have to say Explorers...There was different entertainment each night. They usually had 2 shows and alot of the games/shows were performed here too! Make sure to get there early enough though to get a seat. The only place your butt has a seat for sure is if you have traditional dining:D

Have a wonderful timel,

Crissy

Hill6...yes, I know... They had to call my cabin when they came in, and we

periodically checked their room. I had a room key for there room to try and keep track of them. I hope you realize that there was a cabin right next to them, that had 3 19 yr. boys in it. Their parents were on another deck. Alex, our room stewart ( not sure if you had the same room stewart as us or not) actually apologized to us after he told us they had a party in their cabin one night and realized it was actually the boys next door. He reported those boys for having 19 bottles of liquor in their cabin.

I hope my boys did not disturb you, and if they did, I apologize...

Crissy

ck...Muts looked great, we never actually got up there to see a movie at night...Could not time it right being that we had a late dinner and then usually went to see a show. My son said that he and his friend went once, and that it was really nice. Said it felt like being in a drive in, but more comfortable.

Crissy

Hill6...yes, I know... They had to call my cabin when they came in, and we

periodically checked their room. I had a room key for there room to try and keep track of them. I hope you realize that there was a cabin right next to them, that had 3 19 yr. boys in it. Their parents were on another deck. Alex, our room stewart ( not sure if you had the same room stewart as us or not) actually apologized to us after he told us they had a party in their cabin one night and realized it was actually the boys next door. He reported those boys for having 19 bottles of liquor in their cabin.

I hope my boys did not disturb you, and if they did, I apologize...

Crissy

Your boys were directly across the hall from our cabin. We were D709. I did have Alex as our room steward. 19 bottles of booze is a lot for anyone to have. We did have a bunch of noise outside our cabin (boys) a few nights so I am not sure if it was your group or the party animals next door. There were a number of times that we came in/out when your group were going in/out so we did see each other a few times.

ck...Muts looked great, we never actually got up there to see a movie at night...Could not time it right being that we had a late dinner and then usually went to see a show. My son said that he and his friend went once, and that it was really nice. Said it felt like being in a drive in, but more comfortable.

Crissy

Do you need a wireless headset to hear the audio at MUTS during the day?

We were on the Crown last year and they had the sound off by day and on in the evening.

Thanks!

crissyp- since you have the Patters, would you be kind enough to tell me what the entertainment was in the Princess Theater each evening. My husband and I like to attend the shows there. Great review. Thanks!

Could you tell me if you used internet service? If you did, did you buy a package and use the ships computers or did you bring a laptop and go wireless? We are traveling without the kids and want to be able to keep in touch. We are trying to figure out if we should pack up the laptop or not. Thanks for your help. I truly enjoyed your review.

Renee'

Patros....Thurs...7/5..Welcome Aboard Showtime....8:30 & 10:30 pm

Friday..7/6..Motor City, a tribute to Motown Artists, 8:30 & 10:30

Sat...7/7..Comedy Showtime starring Mark Verselli/ Impressionist

Comedian 8:30 & 10:30

Sun..7/8..Comedy Showtime/Tim Triplett, comedy Hypnotist,

8:30 & 10:30 pm

Mon. 7/9...Comedy Showtime/Sarge 8:30 & 10:30 pm ( Don't miss him)

Tues. 7/10..What a Swell Party, 7:00 and 9:00 only

Wed. 7/11...Spotlight Showtime, singer Tony B. 7:00 & 9:00 only

International Crew Show..10:45 pm ONLY

Thurs. 7/12..Destination Anywhere...8:30 & 10:30 pm

Friday 7/13..Farewell Showtime starring Tony B., Lorenzo Clark & Sarge

HOPE THAT HELPS!

Cruisinggeorgiegirl....Sorry, did not use the internet cafe...Can't help you with that one...

Crissy:)

Could you tell me if you used internet service? If you did, did you buy a package and use the ships computers or did you bring a laptop and go wireless? We are traveling without the kids and want to be able to keep in touch. We are trying to figure out if we should pack up the laptop or not. Thanks for your help. I truly enjoyed your review.

Renee'

I was on the same cruise as Crissy. I bought the 100 minute internet package for $55 which is $.55 a minute compared to the $.75 per minute charge. The wireless is $.50 per minute. I did see a number of people using their laptops in the walkway by the Explorers Lounge and the Atrium. I do not know what speed they had.

The overall internet for the ship is slow (even slower when all computers are being used). I found the best time was after dinner (we had early seating) so we were able to use it when alot of folks from anytime and second seating and there were more open computers.

I was on the same cruise as Crissy. I bought the 100 minute internet package for $55 which is $.55 a minute compared to the $.75 per minute charge. The wireless is $.50 per minute. I did see a number of people using their laptops in the walkway by the Explorers Lounge and the Atrium. I do not know what speed they had.

The overall internet for the ship is slow (even slower when all computers are being used). I found the best time was after dinner (we had early seating) so we were able to use it when alot of folks from anytime and second seating and there were more open computers.

I just asked about wireless connections and I heard that it is slow too - comparable to a dial-up.:eek:

Might be better to check out internet cafes on some of the ports - I heard they're cheaper and faster.

Thanks for letting me know how much they cost though!

Archived