What would you suggest for Kauai rental

KKCruisers

Hi,

I have already rented a car through Thrifty BC for Kauai, but after reading about service problems with Thrifty there, I was wondering if anyone has had better luck with another rental company.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had a good experience renting in Kauai and who it was with.

Time is getting close and I might want to change this reservation.

TIA

Kat

On our June 25 cruise we used Thrifty and had pretty much the same dismal experience that MichellP experienced. Although I should say that we had no problems with Thrifty in Kona. However we returned to Kauai after our cruise and then we rented from National for a week- this was not because of our poor experience with Thrifty but because I had snagged a really good week long rate with National (don't know if my being an Emerald member made a difference or not)- I had that booking long before I had ever heard of Thrifty. National is right across the road from Thrifty (both are closer to the port than the airport) so we already knew where it was. I thought they were OK- since we were Emerald members we could go straight to our car and just show the paperwork on the way out.

Yes, Thrifty took a bit longer than in the other ports, but we thought the Blue Chip experience was well worth it. Both times we used Thrifty (in Hilo and Kauai) we paid for a Kia Rio and ended up with a PT Cruiser convertible.:) Just that made me happy!

Keep in mind that other car rental companies have "Blue Chip" equivalents that you can join. We really go by price, previous experience, and for cruise only, whether they send shuttles to the pier. Please do not think that Thrifty is the best or only company for cruise pax. Companies we've used for cruise: Thrifty, National, and Alamo. Companies we've used for land trips: National, Alamo, Avis, and Budget. No complaints (except a little issue with Alamo unrelated to cruise or our original reservation, which they eventually settled to a basically satisfactory level).

beachchick

Archived