children w/o passports

lizi116

We are cruising the Caribbean (out of Florida) in August and my children don't have passports. I know that they don't need them, and I have their birth certificates. Has anybody encountered any problems? I may get them state issued picture ID cards, but not sure if I want to spend the money, or more importantly - the long wait at the DMV!!!:D

They may need them in August. There was another post about this that had a link to the government website. It said that they may need them sometime this summer. It said they would make an announcement 60 days prior to that taking effect.

We are getting passports for the 6 kids traveling in our group to Alaska/Canada next June based on the recommendation of our TA.

I would rather have them than face a time crunch just before we cruise, but that's just me!

You'd have to pay the huge expedite fees in order to try to get passports before you go (which is within the 60 days the previous poster mentioned, right?). I don't know anything about photo ids from the DMV - I don't know how that would be helpful. But make sure the birth certificates you have are certified. Of course, having passports would be the best, but I've taken my twins on three cruises with birth certificates only.

Best,

Mia

I am leaving this Aug. 12, and I know I don't need them. Just wondering if anyone has encountered any problems. I am just crossing my fingers that everything goes well because I am not planning on expidating them.

The passport rule is delayed till next year due to the big backlog of passport applications, so you are right - they do NOT need a passport for this year. As for an ID, we cruised with our then 7 month old last December without anything other than a birth certificate. You didn't give the age of your children, but I would call the cruise line to be sure. Also, I have found that when you call cruise lines for information, many of them don't know the answers but will guess or make up an answer if they are not sure - so ask them for their name - which I find keeps them from guessing and will make them double check with their higher ups if they don't know for sure.

Honestly, I think that you should have a passport for the kids, that way there won't be any problems. The 2007 change to passport laws which requires passports for reentering the US via car or plane has been amended because of the huge wait for passports that the new requirement has caused. In order to reenter the US without a valid passport, for the time being, you need to have a receipt for a passport showing that you have applied for it.

From what I have heard, as of January, all travel (plane, train, automobile) will require passports.

You won't have any problems. None at all. We traveled with and without passports this year for our children. There was no difference, both were accepted.

And in August, we are traveling with a group of our friends and there will be 6 children, only 2 will have passports...MINE. The other 4 are using birth certificates.

The rules are clear....birth certificates are good for now and the latest pp info shows that the deadline will be extended till NEXT Summer 2008 and even then there will be 60 days notice.

We just finished cruising and we did fine with a birth certificate. They did not really even look at my son's birth certificate, but he is only 13 months! My brother recommended we get a passport before we leave for our son because if anything were to happen while we were at a port we would need a passport to fly, but all of us hubby and I and our son were fine on our cruise with our birth certs.!

:)

port the airlines usually require photo idea for 16 and above even though the cruise line does not. Also, check on requirements if necessary for traveling with kids and only one parent going. Some places are very restrictive of entering the country without paperwork from both parents...

Archived