Anyone wish they hadn't gone to Stingray City?

lindalo5032

We are booked with Native Way for the Ray, Reef & Rum Point tour. I am doing all the planning, and my family is less than enthusiastic about the sting rays. Do you think they will end up loving it? We are the grandparents, and we will have our daughter, S-I-L, and 3 grandkids, ages 9, 8 & 5.

I think they will like snorkeling at the reef, but I'm not sure.

We could just rent a car and drive to Rum Point, so I'm really trying to decide which way to go.

Any suggestions?

I love the place and we visit it each time we are there. I will say that my 16 year old daughter and her friend, who was the same age, were freaked out. lol My daughter's friend howled and ended up getting back on the boat...and my daughter was right behind her.

The seond time we visited, my daughter was the first one off the boat! All my kids have said that this is the neatest thing they've ever done. Even the friend now is glad she did it when we had her with us on our cruise.

Personally, I'd stay with the Nativeway tour. Your grandkids will remember this experience for the rest of their lives. It's really that much fun. But do be prepared that they all may not embrace the rays the same...we had 2 squeemish kids, and the other 2 loved every minute of this.

We also have had people on our excursions that never get in the water. One of the crew members brings a ray over for those people. So if you get one who just doesn't want to stay in the water, they can always get back on the boat and just watch the rays. It's really awesome to watch them swarm around the boat.

We are booked with Native Way for the Ray, Reef & Rum Point tour. I am doing all the planning, and my family is less than enthusiastic about the sting rays. Do you think they will end up loving it? We are the grandparents, and we will have our daughter, S-I-L, and 3 grandkids, ages 9, 8 & 5.

We could just rent a car and drive to Rum Point, so I'm really trying to decide which way to go.

Any suggestions?

We went for the first time in 2005 and LOVED it. It was a great experience and when I have a do-over next month, I'll do all the things I didnt do last time.

It can be intimidating at first, with all the rays swiming around--but if you can relax...it's sooo cool. Find some information, photos, videos whatever online to share with them first...so they get used to the idea.

They're like dogs...they love to rub against you and get close. If they can handle that, they'll be fine. Besides, they dont have to get in the water if they really dont want to. But I bet they'll regret it if they dont.

My husband loves it and would go every time. I'm so so about the crowds.

The first time we went with the ship's excursion and it only went to Stingray City. There were young children who would not get off the boat, and therefore their parents coudn't either. I felt bad that they had paid so much as a family and could not enjoy it.

Since then we have booked private excursions for less money and they include 2 other snorkle spots and that is well worth it. So, your excursion sounds like the best one. Stingray City alone can't be considered a snorkle excursion, more like a feeding frenzy with lots of people screaming.

We were on the Rays, Reef and Rum Point Tour last Tuesday. The "we" included 12 people aged anywhere from 10 to 66....I did have to 'encourage' a few to take the tour but we all ended up loving it. As stated earlier, the rays are very friendly and there is nothing like a ray back massage! The snorkeling was also fantastic, and Rum Pointe was an amazing place with fantastic views and exceptional food (included in the price - gotta love that!:) ). We were SO thankful that we booked with Nativeway after we saw literal BOATLOADS of people piling off other boats. There were only 22 people on our boat and, as stated earlier, we made up 12 of those people. It made for a much more personal encounter and gave us plenty of opportunity to learn from the crew. I really don't think you'll be disappointed if you take this excursion.

I am the first to admit, I only went to Stingray City because the people I was with wanted to. I was TERRIFIED (this was shortly after Steve Irwin died, and even though I was quite aware of what a freak accident it was, I couldn't get it out of my head, plus, I just don't like things touching me!)

Once we were there, I got in the water, simply because I had paid and wanted my money's worth. I stood there crying, borderline hysterical, until I touched the one the guide was holding. From then on it became the most amazing experience of my life! I even bought a stingray necklace once I got back, and it hasn't left my neck in almost a year. It's my reminder that I can do anything!

I guess I am in the minority. We went with a 5 year old and an 8 year old a few years ago and found it to be very difficult. The tide was in and the waves were up. It was difficult to try to hold the kids while the waves were coming in. Additionally it was difficult getting in and out of the boat. It seemed like a good excursion but my kids were much to young. Just my point of veiw.

We went several years ago having cruised to Grand Cayman via the Carnival Conquest. I can't remember the operator we went through (we booked an independent prior to arriving) and it seems that we had to ride in a van to the west end of the island to board the boat. There were probably at least 20 people on board and the trip out there took at least 30-45 minutes. I was STAGGERED by the number of boats and people there! They don't call it Stingray CITY for nothing.

With that said, it IS amazing that all these string rays show up....and yes, they are everywhere. Of course, it sort of like feeding the cows...the herd comes when the food is there. But, that up close, personal experience with these really peaceful creatures is an experience. I wondered if we had checked around and found a faster boat that it might have been better.

We stopped prior to the return to snorkel some place called something like the "Coral Gardens." I was underwhelmed by that particular site, but I'm an ex-diver and have seen veritable canyons of coral in my underwater experiences, so others might have a different opinion.

Get a fast boat and hope there's not too many cruise ships in port that day!

Hands down, without a doubt or hesitation, just like the above posters have commented, it is a "must see event". Although pre-anticipation can leave you questioning, it is so much more than anybody can explain to you in words. You will have the time of your life and will leave with many memories to share for years. It is so worth every penny and so worth every precious minute of your time there...

Any suggestions?

We have done both, and this year we rented a car. It wasn't too bad once we got away from the airport area and the drive to Rum Point was pretty. But if I had to do it over again I think I'd take the Rays, Reef & Rum Point tour again like we did in 2006. For me it was a hassle trying to find the rental car office when we went back to the airport to turn in the car.

If someone else was driving that had a better sense of direction than I do then it would have been fine, but for just us renting a car might not be something we consider doing again.

Just my 2 cents, but I think your group will have a pretty good time on the Rays, Reef & Rum Point tour.

John

We did this in 2005, my daughter (16), myself, and a friend.

When we pulled up to the sandbar, I was SHOCKED that there was at least one person (usually a woman, but not always) from every boat SCREAMING. I couldn't figure out what they were screaming about until I saw the size of some of those rays:eek: .

I announced to our boat right then and there that I would be the designated screamer for the boat (LOL). I was TERRIFIED, and couldn't bring myself to get into the water. Took me almost 20 minutes to get up the nerve. the captain even picked one up and brought it over to me (I was sitting on the back of the boat, watching). It was pretty neat, and I eventually got into the water.

If you don't want them to swarm you, stay away from the people with food.

I'm glad I did it. AND.... I never actually DID scream.....:rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

One of the best times of our cruise! My husband and I were on our anniversary so we did not have the kids. However, when I decide to cruise with my 8 and 6 year old, Sting Ray City will be a MUST SEE! They will love it!! GO! Try Nativeway, they were wonderful!

Thank you, guys! We hope to do this tour. Our ship doesn't arrive until 10:00 a.m., and I noticed on the Nativeways site that the tours begin at 9:00. I've emailed and hope they'll be able to accommodate us. It sounds amazing, and I wasn't even interested in trying to see the rays!

I am so excited about the Rays, Reef & Rum Point tour with Nativeway! I just e-mailed them today about making a reservation and hope that it works out for us. My boyfriend and I love the fact that you can see the stingrays, go snorkeling and relax at the beach all in one price. I haven't been able to convince our 2 friends to come with us yet, but I know they will be missing out if they don't.

Can someone post the link? Thanks!

Yes please post a link.

I went to Stingray City 6 years ago and loved it. I know my kids will love it. I want to do the tour that includes snorkeling and the beach.

I'm glad I did it, but will NEVER do it again. I freaked out when a stingray sucked the squid (or whatever it was) out of my hand, because IT HURT!!! I thought it had bit me, but I was told that they don't have teeth, just a strong suction.

I freaked out after they were crawling all over me, and had to get back in the boat. I must admit that the Grand Cayman water is absolutely BEAUTIFUL though, and we are going to go back there, but I won't be swimming with those stingrays.

To LynnTH:

I went with Capt. Marvin last month, and the water was about 6 feet deep (and a bit rough), but only where you get on and off the boat. I could barely stand (I'm 5'9"), and the water was over my 11-year-old daughter's head. Even though we both swim, we wore life jackets (provided by Capt. Marvin), but nobody else needed them.

But around 20-25 feet away, the water is only waist deep (where you stand and feed the stingrays). So if you and your 6-year-old are strong swimmers, you should be able to make it over there without a life jacket. Enjoy - it's pretty cool!

Archived