Bringing your own Alcohol

Dante79

I’ve cruised 5 times in the past, and I have always brought a few bottles of my own alcohol on board, while cruise lines have always had a policy against this, my experience is they did not enforce it every well.

But things have changed since the liquid explosives scare in London a few months ago. Have Cruise Lines cracked down on liquids, notably alcohol, being brought on board?

Some are when you are carrying it onboard. It seems to be much less of an issue in checked luggage. I think the rules/enforcement on this will continue to be flexible as long as it isnt abused. A couple liters of vodka is a lot easier for cruiselines to ignore than 2 cases of beer. Its also easier for porters to carry (and not complain about).

Princess policy is no liquor to be brought on board, wine is OK. Enforcement is lax depending on ship/port.

NCL has the same policy as Princess. They do enforce it, including a pre pay corkage fee on the wine.

Carnival's policy is no liquor, one bottle of wine. Enforcement is lax.

RCI/Celebrity is no liquor or wine at all. It's starting to be enforced.

It is best to go to the cruise critic board for your cruise line and ask about your particular ship and port to find out the current policy and enforcement, oh yea do a search first

Cheers.

Celebrity also allows you to carry 2 bottles of wine per stateroom. We always bring a bottle of liquor too, but this time I think we'll just order it ahead of time. That way we won't have to worry about them taking it, and we'll have the mixers to go along with it.

Norwegian does X ray the checked luggage and also the carry-ons. Wine can be brought on board but a corkage fee applies, 15.00 a bottle.

If your alcohol bottles are detected in your checked baggage, you will receive a note on your door to go to a certain area, your luggage will be at this area. You will be asked to open your luggage and the crew will take your alcohol and hold it until the end of the cruise.

It was a very long line last year when we were on the Spirit. We were not in the line but I am told that it did take a long time for people to get their bags. Given this, I would say the NCL really does enforce this.

That's sounds like a horrible way to start one's cruise.

Why bother?

Isn't it easier to just order a bottle delivered to your cabin. When you think of what you paid for the cruise and in most cases airfare or gas for car/tolls for a long ride to get to the ship.......Doesn't it make sense to spend a little more and not have to go stand in a long line to be embarrassed that you tried to sneak something aboard you knew you were not supposed to bring?I'd be so embarrassed to be caught like that.

Buy a bottle, the mixers and relax and enjoy. At the end of the year, is that $30 or $40 going to make that big a difference? At the start of your cruise when you could be comfortable and relaxing and not in a long line, it makes a BIG difference

JMHO.......

That's sounds like a horrible way to start one's cruise.

Why bother?

Isn't it easier to just order a bottle delivered to your cabin. When you think of what you paid for the cruise and in most cases airfare or gas for car/tolls for a long ride to get to the ship.......Doesn't it make sense to spend a little more and not have to go stand in a long line to be embarrassed that you tried to sneak something aboard you knew you were not supposed to bring?I'd be so embarrassed to be caught like that.

Buy a bottle, the mixers and relax and enjoy. At the end of the year, is that $30 or $40 going to make that big a difference? At the start of your cruise when you could be comfortable and relaxing and not in a long line, it makes a BIG difference

JMHO.......

haha - in my best Joe Dirt voice, "Dude, we got SO busted!" lol!

I belive there are several lines that do not allow the purchase of room setups. RCI is one that comes to mind. I think on that ship you are stuck with per drink prices even if you buy the bottle. I could be wrong since I am a wine drinker.

Archived