Grand Princess Egypt & Aegean Nov 2008

I did this cruise in November 2006 on the Golden Princess. It was a fabulous cruise. The itinerary (if it is the same) was great. We sailed roundtrip from Civitavecchia with stops in Naples, Athens, Kusadasi (Ephesus), Istanbul, Mykonos, and Port Said/Alexandria.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions. The key is doing a lot of research ahead of time. If you are thinking of using private guides, some of the best are booked up early.

I wanted to go to Egypt too so I checked out several cruises. I wound up booking the RCCL Brilliance for the Spring of 2009. I am not sure if they sail this itinerary at other times, but you might want to check them out.

What did it for me was the other ports as well. (We have been to Turkey and Greece and Italy) Brilliance sails 11 night cruises from Barcelona to Alexandria, Tunis, Athens, Rhodes, Cyprus, and Malta.

I did this cruise in November 2006 on the Golden Princess. It was a fabulous cruise. The itinerary (if it is the same) was great. We sailed roundtrip from Civitavecchia with stops in Naples, Athens, Kusadasi (Ephesus), Istanbul, Mykonos, and Port Said/Alexandria.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions. The key is doing a lot of research ahead of time. If you are thinking of using private guides, some of the best are booked up early.

We're doing this same itinerary this November on the Star Princess. I'd be interested in your opinion about the following:

Ephesus - was it really great, or just ok? I don't want to risk getting bored with too many ruins on this cruise.

Mykonos - same theme....I'm thinking of just walking around the town and waterfront instead of taking the tour to Delos. Is there enough in town to occupy me for 4-5 hours?

Istanbul - did you take a ship excursion, private excursion or walk-about on your own? Is it feasible to see the highlights (Blue Mosque, St. Sophia, Topkapi, Grand Bazaar) on your own during a port stop?

Athens - I'm not really into shopping and most ship excursions leave you in the Plaka for hours to shop. What did you see/do there?

Naples - we booked a private tour along the Amalfi coast to Sorrento, Positano, Amalfi and Ravello. Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks for whatever info you can provide.

Nancy

We're torn between that itinerary on the Grand and this one on Legend of the Seas. Right now we're booked on both :) If we do the one on the Grand, Isantabul and Egypt will be the only new stops..this one, everything except Rome will be new... Decisions, Decisions.....This one will cost us airfare, the other we can tag on the end of our Greek Island Cruise. Going to Luxor and Dubai would be pretty cool though.

20-May Dubai, United Arab Emirates

21-May Dubai, United Arab Emirates 3:00 PM Docked

22-May Muscat, Oman 7:00 AM 3:00 PM Docked

23-May Cruising

24-May Cruising

25-May Cruising

26-May Cruising

27-May Safaga, Egypt 7:00 AM 10:00 PM Docked

28-May Suez Canal (passage) 8:00 AM 6:00 PM Docked

29-May Alexandria, Egypt 7:00 AM 10:00 PM Docked

30-May Cruising

31-May Cruising

01-Jun Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy 4:00 AM

We're doing this same itinerary this November on the Star Princess. I'd be interested in your opinion about the following:

Ephesus - was it really great, or just ok? I don't want to risk getting bored with too many ruins on this cruise.

Mykonos - same theme....I'm thinking of just walking around the town and waterfront instead of taking the tour to Delos. Is there enough in town to occupy me for 4-5 hours?

Istanbul - did you take a ship excursion, private excursion or walk-about on your own? Is it feasible to see the highlights (Blue Mosque, St. Sophia, Topkapi, Grand Bazaar) on your own during a port stop?

Athens - I'm not really into shopping and most ship excursions leave you in the Plaka for hours to shop. What did you see/do there?

Naples - we booked a private tour along the Amalfi coast to Sorrento, Positano, Amalfi and Ravello. Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks for whatever info you can provide.

Nancy

Ephesus -- yes, it was fabulous. Do NOT miss it. Be sure to see the Terrace Houses (separate charge; if doing with a guide be sure to let them know you want to see these). Ephesus gave me a much better feeling of what a Roman town must've been like than Pompeii.

Mykonos -- if you want to skip ruins, Delos would probably be the ones to skip. I'm a ruin fanatic, but for those who aren't and are not into the history of ancient Greece, the Delos ruins can look like a lot of piles of stones! Mykonos town is good for a couple hours of wandering and great photos, then find a taverna in the town and enjoy. Shopping is also pretty good there.

Istanbul -- I was with my mother, so we did the shore excursion through Princess (the "elite" tour, which is a smaller group), due to her concerns about being "left" in port. We did all the things you mention (including the harem at Topkapi) plus lunch at a former palace on the Bosphorus and also the Islamic Arts museum. It was a packed day. If you do your research, you could see the sights you mention on your own as most of them are pretty close together in the old part of town. I would've had no hesitation doing it if it were just me.

Athens -- We took a tour (again, Princess elite) that included a short sightseeing drive through Athens, then the Acropolis (had a great lunch in the restaurant facing the Parthenon). After that we went to the National Museum -- well worth a visit with some of the best sculpture and artifacts from ancient Greece, including warrior helmets and gold items excavated from Troy. This tour left us about an hour's time for shopping in the Plaka, which was about right for me.

Naples -- Can't comment, as we did Pompeii and the Naples museum (my passion!). I'm sure it will be wonderful though, as many others have reported.

If you want any more detail on anything, or info on Cairo, just let me know.

Archived