Tuxedo or dark suit

pna

Am new to Celebrity Cruises. Have done several Princess. On previous cruises my husband rented a tuxedo at home to wear for formal nights. Trying to decide: he is retired now and we will be spending time before and after cruise in Florida, so won't rent and carry tux from home. Do most men on the cruises (we are doing Summit in Feb.) with Celebrity wear tuxes for formal night? Or do most just do the dark suit? Are there any that do the white dinner jacket one night and dark another? How are the tuxes you rent from Celebrity? I will probably wear a long dress both formal nights as we love an excuse to dress up. We are traveling with a group, Iowa Hawkeyes, also for the first time and have no idea what those in our group do. Thanks for advice. I may have several other questions about Celebrity. Fun to try a new line and different itinerary.
Men do wear tuxedo's on formal night. My husband did once and never again. he always wears dark suits now. I usually see less men wearing tuxedo's than suits on formal night. It really is a personal choice.

I hate to disappoint those who posted above but I will have a dark suit on my Celebrity cruise next month and I have late dinner seating. If you want to pay for my tux rental though, I will reconsider.

My husband will be right along with you. We always have late night seating and he always wears a dark suit. We have been on many cruises including Celebrity. I always hear of more saying they wear tux's than I ever actually see on the cruise. Some Celebrity ships asks you to stay formally dressed throughout entire evening.

My husband will be right along with you. We always have late night seating and he always wears a dark suit. We have been on many cruises including Celebrity. I always hear of more saying they wear tux's than I ever actually see on the cruise. Some Celebrity ships asks you to stay formally dressed throughout entire evening.

Interesting to read this, as I just had my husband order a tux rental for our upcoming Celebrity Med cruise. Partly because I'm hearing that Celebrity is more formal (our only cruises so far were on Carnival) and also to save space in packing. I do find it unneeded to have someone talk about how ghastly cheap the rentals are and how much better their own expensive and stylish clothes are. Some of us don't have the need, or franky the desire to have a stylish, expensive tux, or much less a suit. I'm looking at this as someone else said, a fun time to dress up like a prom. Don't know how bad the rental tux will be, but hope it at least sort of fits and if nothing else, we can have some laughs about it afterwards.

You can get brand new tuxes very cheaply though.

My husband really wanted a tux when we got married, but the rental fee was over $150. We both thought it was ridiculous.

He was delighted to find a brand new tux originally priced at $500 marked down to $60 because it was last season's style! It doesn't look cheap at all and fits him perfectly. That's cheaper than even a single rental onboard, and it's already paid for itself several times over.

We did see a lot of tuxes on our two cruises, and we always prefer to dress up. How often in our lives can I wear a gown and he wear a tux, anyway? We enjoy it.

I guess that could be part of the perception about the amount of tux's wore. I wear my for pictures, dinner and pictures again (we do main/early seating). Then I do go take my tux off for the remainer of the evening. I wear at that point, a nice Camp shirt with nice pants.

Interesting to read this, as I just had my husband order a tux rental for our upcoming Celebrity Med cruise. Partly because I'm hearing that Celebrity is more formal (our only cruises so far were on Carnival) and also to save space in packing. I do find it unneeded to have someone talk about how ghastly cheap the rentals are and how much better their own expensive and stylish clothes are. Some of us don't have the need, or franky the desire to have a stylish, expensive tux, or much less a suit. I'm looking at this as someone else said, a fun time to dress up like a prom. Don't know how bad the rental tux will be, but hope it at least sort of fits and if nothing else, we can have some laughs about it afterwards.

I have never rented a tux on board, but did go into the shop to see what they were renting and the cost. The tux's were not cheap looking.

I would not get too hung up on the phrase cheap. If you buy a tux, a good one can be found for a couple of hundred dollars. I have owned my tux for 6 years and wear it a number of times a year for charity events and twice/three times for our cruises.

My husband wears a tux for formal night, a suit for informal, and a sports jacket for casual nights. He still follows the dress code from Celebrity in the early 90's. On our transatlantics, there were quite a few other men, especially at late seating, who did the same.

He feels that he should dress to compliment me.

You will do fine with renting a tux on the Celebrity cruise. A family member that was on a Celebrity cruise did this and had no problems. He even said the cost was not much higher than on land. Better than to have to carry it on. I agree with your post. On Carnival to me, men with tux's looked out of place because there were virtually no one wearing them. On other lines as I said ,tux's were worn but not as much as the dark suits. Celebrity is more dressy, especially on the longer cruises. We are doing a ten day med cruise but my husband again will wear his dark suit. I dress up like going to a prom but we look just fine. It is all about being confortable and having fun, that is what vacations are for. I have never seen anyone give my husband a " look " for wearing an expensive dark suit. If I did, I would laugh because I find that snotty. Especially if they are concerned about his suit, instead of being involved with their own agenda's. LOL! There is one Celebrity ship and im not sure which one, that requires you to stay dressed formally the entire night. I have been told if you go back to your cabin and come out dressed non formally they do not allow you to roam around the inside, they make you use the area's out side of the ship to get to let's say the pool area. As I said that is what I have been told. I have been on three different Celebrity ships and never encountered that and hope to never have.

I guess that could be part of the perception about the amount of tux's wore. I wear my for pictures, dinner and pictures again (we do main/early seating). Then I do go take my tux off for the remainer of the evening. I wear at that point, a nice Camp shirt with nice pants.

I have to agree. Sometimes when you go on lenghty excusions off the ship, the last thing we want to do is stay formally dressed the rest of the evening. We do the same thing you do a lot of times.

My husband wears a tux for formal night, a suit for informal, and a sports jacket for casual nights. He still follows the dress code from Celebrity in the early 90's. On our transatlantics, there were quite a few other men, especially at late seating, who did the same.

He feels that he should dress to compliment me.

My husband wears an expensive dark suit for formal nights, a sports jacket for informal and dressy causual for casual nights. He compliments me every single time. :D

Am new to Celebrity Cruises. Have done several Princess. On previous cruises my husband rented a tuxedo at home to wear for formal nights. Trying to decide: he is retired now and we will be spending time before and after cruise in Florida, so won't rent and carry tux from home. Do most men on the cruises (we are doing Summit in Feb.) with Celebrity wear tuxes for formal night? Or do most just do the dark suit? Are there any that do the white dinner jacket one night and dark another? How are the tuxes you rent from Celebrity? I will probably wear a long dress both formal nights as we love an excuse to dress up. We are traveling with a group, Iowa Hawkeyes, also for the first time and have no idea what those in our group do. Thanks for advice. I may have several other questions about Celebrity. Fun to try a new line and different itinerary.
On my first X cruise I took both a tux [black] and a dinner jacket [white]. Then I found out that the waiters wear a tux every night EXCEPT formal night when THEY wear a dinner jacket. It is fine to wear a dinner jacket, but someone might mistake you for a waiter:D
I rented tuxes my first few cruises, but found it better to just buy a black suit. With a tux shirt and bow tie you can't tell the difference on formal nights. With gray slacks it works for the informal nights also. When at home, I'm always ready for the next funeral.
We traveled with friends on a 14 night cruise and it was the third formal night before I realized that he was NOT wearing a tux, just a black suit with a tux shirt, etc. I'm usually pretty observant [obviously maybe not so much so about clothes], so I'd say this is a excellent compromise.

You will do fine with renting a tux on the Celebrity cruise. A family member that was on a Celebrity cruise did this and had no problems. He even said the cost was not much higher than on land. Better than to have to carry it on. I agree with your post. On Carnival to me, men with tux's looked out of place because there were virtually no one wearing them. On other lines as I said ,tux's were worn but not as much as the dark suits. Celebrity is more dressy, especially on the longer cruises. We are doing a ten day med cruise but my husband again will wear his dark suit. I dress up like going to a prom but we look just fine. It is all about being confortable and having fun, that is what vacations are for. I have never seen anyone give my husband a " look " for wearing an expensive dark suit. If I did, I would laugh because I find that snotty. Especially if they are concerned about his suit, instead of being involved with their own agenda's. LOL! There is one Celebrity ship and im not sure which one, that requires you to stay dressed formally the entire night. I have been told if you go back to your cabin and come out dressed non formally they do not allow you to roam around the inside, they make you use the area's out side of the ship to get to let's say the pool area. As I said that is what I have been told. I have been on three different Celebrity ships and never encountered that and hope to never have.

I have been on six different X ships [with a seventh this fall]. Every one of them said that other than in the Cafe and pool areas, the attire for the entire evening was to be the dinner attire. While you see most people dressed pretty formally for dinner, many of them have changed by show time, and I've never heard a word spoken. I keep my tux on for the show, but since the theatre always seems to be about 80-85 degrees as soon as it starts filling up with people, after 10 minutes I have to peal off my coat.

As far as dark suit goes, X specifies Tuxedo or dark suit. If someone has a problem with a dark suit, they are going to find fault with everything - people like deserve to be treated like crazy drivers [ignore them and try to get as far away from them as you can].

I have been on six different X ships [with a seventh this fall]. Every one of them said that other than in the Cafe and pool areas, the attire for the entire evening was to be the dinner attire. While you see most people dressed pretty formally for dinner, many of them have changed by show time, and I've never heard a word spoken. I keep my tux on for the show, but since the theatre always seems to be about 80-85 degrees as soon as it starts filling up with people, after 10 minutes I have to peal off my coat.

As far as dark suit goes, X specifies Tuxedo or dark suit. If someone has a problem with a dark suit, they are going to find fault with everything - people like deserve to be treated like crazy drivers [ignore them and try to get as far away from them as you can].

I don't mind staying dressed up for just about the entire evening, especially when going to the show. If I am going to the pool area I just don't feel comfortable in a gown, I prefer to dressd down. There are some nights we just go to dinner and do not go to a show, so just to walk around here an there I do many times change. You made me laugh with your statement about people having a problem with a dark suit, how true it is! LOL!

Once I am dressed (and looking fabulous....in my mind at least) I would not even consider taking time away from my evening to change! I do rent the tux from X for DH ( his weight changes so frequently that purchasing would mean 6 different sizes...that is alot of tuxes:p ) The rentals are fine, he brings his own studs, links, vests, bowties etc and all is good! The best part is the convenience....we tried (once) renting one to take with us (same cost) and the luggage was bulky and wrinkled. I love having the tux delivered to the room and I do not have to haul it off later! Being the trooper that he is, he keeps it on all evening, though on occasion, he will undo the button on the jacket and let it all hang out!

Life is good.

6ecdea4f.jpg

a66f3123.jpg

Answer - neither. It's a black Donna Karan suit. DH hates the satin trim on tuxes. I think he looks pretty yummy no matter what he's wearing!

You both look fantastic, a great looking couple! I ca't tell the difference either.

Archived