Travelon bag vs. shoe organizer?

goLC

I saw a neat hanging toiletry bag by Travelon (called the independence bag); everything fits, you can use normal size bottles, and it will hang in your closet. It's about $35. I've seen posts about using shoe organizers with pockets you can supposedly get for next to nothing to organize your toiletries & small stuff with. So, for you experienced people, would I be better of spending the $35 and getting the nice bag, or would the shoe organizer suffice? I really like the nice bag, but I've rationalized so many "I really need that" purchases the past coupla weeks, I might need to tone back. Just wondered if this was an area I could reduce costs. I did get 2 swimsuits for half price today, so I guess I could take the money I saved there and buy the bag.... (see... the rationalizing is happening all over again! Help!):eek:

The hanging toiletry bags are really nice, but they won't hold much more than your toiletries (and usually smaller size bottles, at that). With the over the door organizer, it can also hold your digital camera, small video recorder, sunglasses, empty water bottles, curling iron, shoes, large sunscreen/lotion bottles . . . you get the idea. :)

I am familiar with that particular bag (I used to sell them where I worked). I have bought many as gifts, and people have always liked them. They are a lot roomier than your standard toiletry bag. I don't have one myself as I am a minimalist when it comes to packing toiletries. I do have other products by the same brand and have always had good luck and found them to be of good quality.

we have a similar bag, called a Freedom bag, that holds full sized bottles of toiletries that we keep packed and ready to go whenever we are. But, we also use the over-the-door shoe bag for cruises. I bought mine at target for $8 or so. It has clear pockets (facing down, not out--no need to sew) and it's perfect for keeping cameras, notepads, sunscreen, tylenol, lint brush, etc. organized. We hang it over the back of the bathroom door. It's so much better than having things rolling around in the drawers. Our Freedom bag is unpacked in the bathroom and stored on the shelf under the vanity for the duration of the cruise.

I do love travelon products--they have a 3 compartment organizer bag that is perfect for a travel handbag.

Wow, I just looked at Travelon's website, what great prices. I've been looking at TravelSmith as well and they're pretty pricey!

Thanks!

Happy Sails!

Romy

ebags has better prices on travelon than travelsmith does--I've gotten my last 2 bags from them

Katerkat - I'm glad you asked that. That was what I had envisioned in my head, but that may not be at all what the boards have been talking about. I just know I've got so much stuff on my "to pack" list I'll need something to organize me, but I'd hate to get there and not be able to figure out how to "attach" or "hang" something! All help appreciated!

Is this what y'all are talking about with the shoe organizers?

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_41/602-7564579-7181417?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B000OGSW3W

Do they actually fit on the bathroom door? And it closes? We have some organizers that don't fit on our doors at home properly.

Nope. You're close though;) . It hangs on your door, but the compartments are larger and CLEAR plastic. You hang it flush on the door and the left side of the clear, plastic "shelf" is closed and the right, open, so you can stuff-stuff and it won't fall out the other side.

I wish I had a picture for you. I also hope this helps. I discovered this last cruise and wouldn't go without it;) .

Happy Sails!!!

Romy

That picture is the right idea, but it looks like that one does not have clear pockets. You want to be sure you get one with clear pockets so that you can see where everything is - it won't help much if you have to dig thru all the pockets to find something.

Unless you really want to spend $35, go with one from either Target or the Dollar Store. We usually get a new one every few cruises because the plastic starts to wear out after a while. They're so inexpensive($1 or $2) that you can actually leave them onboard if you don't have room to pack them at the end of your vacation. And, they make great little gifts for people who are going on their first cruise - they never think of them and then realize the value after they've used them just once.

The one thing we did was bring along some "fun tack" - or blue goo as I call it, and used it to adhere the bottom corners to the bathroom door. That way it didn't swing out whenever the door was opened.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

We had trouble fitting the over the door shoe holders on the bathroom door on several ships. The door wouldn't close completely. I found the same thing attached to a hanger at Kmart (I think). Clear pockets and all. It's great for organizing. I wouldn't spend $35.00 for a toiletry bag. I do have something similar that I found at Tuesday Morning. I think it was about $10.00. I hang the shoe holder (even use it for some of my shoes!) in the closet and the toiletry bag on one of the towel racks in the bathroom.

I went Walmart tonight; they have some for $8.97. They have some that have like 12 "shoe holes" (patch like things sewn on the panel) and they have some llike I think was being describe.. they hang on little hook things on the closet rod and one end is closed and the other end is open??? But now I don't remember if they were clear or not; I can definitely see the advantage in that. I think I will get a shoe thing and not the travelon (but I'm being so wishy washy I may change my mind yet again) - and then get a $10 or so bag as suggested to hang on the bathroom towel rack. I'm trying to by the "little things" in bits and pieces... tonight I got 2 little disposable rain ponchos and a pack of "travel" toilet paper (which I'd never heard of before... but I think that may be a wise investment!) I'm having so much fun getting ready! Also - do any of you take a pop up cooler or a pop up hamper to use in your room? Thought it might help with dirty clothes? Or if there's plenty of drawer space, I can just use an empty suitcase for dirty clothes. I'm planning to take a 12 pack of Dr Pepper, so I think the cooler might be a good idea. (Although at this rate, I'm afraid I'm going to look like I'm moving in for good!

Just a suggestion, if you're not going to use the ship's laundry service, or do it yourself onboard (I wouldn't waste precious holiday time doing laundry!), then yes, bring along a pop-up hamper. They can be obtained at the Dollar Store again, for $1. They're great to just put into your closet and toss your dirty laundry into. For bringing dirty clothes home, put them in a few giant zip-lock bags and squeeze the air out to make a little more room in your suitcase. It also keeps your suitcases smelling cleaner - I really don't want to put my clean clothes into a suitcase that had dirty laundry in it, do you? Just my 2 cents worth!

I don't think I'd bring along a pop-up cooler, just ask your cabin steward for an extra bucket and extra ice, showing him what you need it for. I'm sure you'll have no problems.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

The pop up hamper is great! I do laundry on a cruise :eek: . DH likes a short nap in the afternoon and I don't nap, so I take my book and do a load of laundry.

I wouldn't fool with the cooler, either. Just put a few DP's in the fridge and replace them as you drink them. You should always have ice, so they don't have to be real cold. The ice buckets won't hold more than two or three cans, but you can ask for another if you want.

We take less "stuff" on every cruise. On our 1st we did look like we were moving in :) . Now, we have one checked suitcase each and one carry on each.

Have a great cruise!

That picture is the right idea, but it looks like that one does not have clear pockets. You want to be sure you get one with clear pockets so that you can see where everything is - it won't help much if you have to dig thru all the pockets to find something.

Good point. I think I have a canvas one still somewhere, though. I use them everywhere - I have one in the garage with gardening tools, one in the front closet with my purses, one in the baby's room with socks, shoes, diapers and such...

I've used the shoe organizer in the past, but not in the bathroom for toiletries, there is plenty of space in the bathrooms for that. I've used it on the back of the bathroom door, to contain the clutter that finds its way all over the cabin. Not only for shoes, but sunscreen, sunglasses, visors or ball caps, papers, etc...

Instead of a hamper (I don't care to repack wadded up clothing), we just re-hang our clothing in the closet. Since we pack the majority of our clothing on hangers to begin with, it's a breeze for re-packing.

A hamper would just take up precious closet or floor space. We send out things to be laundered, especially things that will stink up the suitcases if left dirty for the whole week. Less to pack, less laundry when returning home. Instead of taking 14 pair of underwear, you can get by with 4-6. Our laundry charges usually equal what a person might spend on a couple of cocktails.

Only pack things that you know you will absolutely need. With the exception of a first aid kit with a few remedies for different ailments, the "what ifs" are never used. I've only been cruising since 1998, but I have never needed the majority of "stuff" you read about on cruise packing lists.

Keep it light and simple, use your money for the travel experience, rather than stuff that needs to be hauled and organized each way.

Archived