Medical services onboard RCI

crisvow

Does anyone know what types of dr's they have on board and how the facilities are? I am traveling in Jan. 08' with my infant son and just wanted to know how the services are in case we find ourselves needing it. Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks!

Medical services onboard the cruiseships are outsourced to another company.

I've seen people warn parents that cruiseships aren't equipped to deal with real emergencies with children.

But we did have a real emergency on Disney (our youngest seized after getting a virus onboard) and although they DID have trouble finding the right dosages for her size and things to fit her...they made it work.

The 2 doctors onboard that ship were ER doctors from Australia and they were awesome.

I have seen many different posts about emergencies onboard and they all seem to have the same theme, the doctors ARE competent.

In our case the ship's captain made the decision to take the entire ship back to Port Canaveral a little early so that our daughter could get evacuated to Port Canaveral Medical Center.

And in a non emergency, the medical centers all carry the same medicines that you would need to treat things like ear infections and coughs if you child develops a cold while onboard.

On my last 2 cruises, ppl I was travelling with had medical emergencies...one broken leg and one major cut leg with pre-existing conditions complicating things (long story!) and the medical care was top notch....just really expensive! This was for adult care though...not children.

Cheers!

Monique

My father in law was just on a RCCL and had a medical problem. They handled it very well. He is on blood thinners for only about two months and all of a sudden on the ship he started bleeding and couldn't stop it. He went to see the Dr on the ship and they were great. They did blood work on the spot and saw that (maybe because of his change in diet on the cruise) The blood thinners he was on were reacting differently in his system and he needed to lower his dose. They did everything they needed to get him all fixed up. He was very impressed with the whole thing and after getting back home and going over what happened with his Dr, His Family Dr said the Dr on the ship did everything right and left him on the lower dose that the Dr on the ship prescribed. The only down side to the whole thing is that it wasn't cheap...

But will travel insurance cover the ship's infirmary? Some insurance will cover only ER's when traveling, and the ship's infirmary doesn't count as an ER (at least not for ours). I'd really like to know this, because it might be worthwhile for us to get coverage if it covered the ship's medical facility.

But will travel insurance cover the ship's infirmary? Some insurance will cover only ER's when traveling, and the ship's infirmary doesn't count as an ER (at least not for ours). I'd really like to know this, because it might be worthwhile for us to get coverage if it covered the ship's medical facility.

Our travel insurance didn't cover anything. It was ridiculous. We paid out of pocket for everything until we got back in the states and our health insurance took over.

So be VERY careful when choosing travel insuarance. I learned my lesson.

My travel insurance (separate from my BC/BS at work) covers the ship's infirmary. Go to the Insure My Trip website to compare policies. I wouldn't get a ship with children if I didn't have coverage for the infirmary and med evac.

Roz

Archived