Cruise West, Spirit of Oceanus

ScottnZelda

All you lucky people going to Japan:::: The cruise is definitely casual, even the Captain's farewell dinner wasn't very dressy. When we were on the trip, the dinner was the last nite after a very full day of touring. We did go in the opposite direction, tho. A rain jacket, small umbrella( for both rain and sun. It was warm last Oct also. The dinig room has tables for up to eight. The lunch on the sun deck is buffet and very good. There is an ATM at the airport where you meet your transport. The next one we found was in Nagasaki in the train station. The was one in both hotels. You will never forget the peacefulness of Miyajima. Hopefully, one of the expedition leaders will take pictures and make up the same type od CD they made for us. ENJOY!!!!!! Pat

Hi Pat and the Group of 7! Thanks for the weather website -- we travel a fair amount and this will be incredibly useful. Have any of the 7 been to Japan before? Don has been on business numerous times, but I always was too busy with the girls and my job. . so am really looking forward to it!

Pat, does casual mean jeans are acceptable for dinner?. I am really vacillating as to whether to bring any or not as I literally wear them most days in the year. Also since the ATMs are few and far between do you have any guidance on how many yen to bring? I know that it really depends on what you buy but would appreciate your experienced advice.

Also, what did you buy in Japan? We are collectors of religious or historical antiques and love to find a small statue or such to bring home from each place we have been. I am also hoping to find some beautiful pottery that is not to cumbersome to carry home -- since Don carried home the life-sized Marlin platter from Mykonos I have been on restriction -- just kidding!

Any knitters or crocheters in the group of 7? I am always looking for advice on my beginner projects!

Don & MImi

PS I am a grad of Sophie Newcomb -- meaningful ONLY to our traveler from NOLA!

I'm going to pass on the question of knitters to the other 5 (Lynden & Bonnie don't do anything which requires co-ordination - including chop sticks! People would get hurt) I'll also pass on the fact about Sophie Newcomb. I have a piece of Sophie Newcomb pottery - does that count??? One of our group, Al, was in Japan, but in a different era & for a different reason, if you get my drift??? It's going to be very interesting to get his thoughts, before & after. I think he's the only one. How do you fly from CT? We go Seattle-SFO -Osaka/Tokyo-Seattle on UAL. The NC couple, Betsy & Dick are coming a week early to SEA & we will meet the others at SFO. Counting days...........

Pat, one more question -- how many non-western toilets were you faced with on this trip? This is alway a concern for me and I'm sure for the rest of the ladies on our trip!!

It will be most interesting to experience a view of Japan then and now -- sound like an evening for all of us with a glass of wine -- particularly on the day we visit Nagasaki. We had an amazing experience in Saigon a few years ago with one of the last military men to leave in the 60's -- a serendipitous meeting with a fellow traveler who gave us an insight we otherwise wouldn't have had!

It's a long trip from CT -- to minimize the hassle and to use our FF miles, we are flying to Atlanta on the 23rd evening, then boarding Delta direct to Narita on the 24th. Transfer from Narita to Haneda by bus and then an hour long flight into Kobe to our hotel for a long nite's rest (hopefully!)

Mimi,

Western toilets are quite prevalent. I have a bum knee so I always waited for the western one.

Don't look for Noro yarn in Japan--it is all exported. There are always knitters and other needleworkers. Really didn't see any yarn that I just had to bring home.

Pottery::: In Korea, you will probably visit a very special kiln and master potter. It is an earthen kiln. His pieces are quite unique. Down the hill there was a shop with celadon--didn't see it til we were on bus leaving. These would be very special. If you are in Kyoto, there is a marvelous craft building with jewelry, pottery, porcelain and woodblock prints and textiles.

The Islan of Miyajima has a 1000yen store--nice scarves, ok jewelry and beautiful dolls. There are also the maple leaf cakes--very good, travel well. Keep them in your fridge and they can be frozen at home.

ATM::::We used the one in the tokyo airport. They were also in the hotels and major train stations. We found one in the station in Nagasaki on the 2nd floor.

Keep those questions coming. Pat

Don't forget the green tea ice cream--definitely an acquired taste. We did eat ice cream anyplace we found it--it was hot down on the southern portion of the trip.

DH and I did find some of the outing a bit steep--climbing that is.

In Kobe there is a Chinatown about a 10 min walk---lots of wonderful food. We were only there the one day, so didn't venture further.

In Tokyo, also only time for one dinner. If you go out the back of the hotel and walk towards the elevated train, there are many restaurants. We went to a noodle shop under the trains, wonderful food and tempura.

We ate all of the rest of our meals on the tour. The Korean bbq is fantastic, as was the shabu shabu and the Japanese bbq. Personally didn't care for the Bento box on the Beppu tour. The food on the ship is good. Breakfasts served promptly and hot--always a nice selection. We ate lunch most days at the sundeck buffet. The burgers very good, nice salads and soups. Desserts were marvelous. Good thing we walked a lot. Dinner was usually good--didn't like the crab legs--tasted frozen. Other wise, never a bad meal.

Another thought about the food in restaurants. There is usually a plastic model of the dish with a number in the window. They are quite used to tourists pointing a dish. It's fun. There is also usually someone in the restaurant who speaks and understands English.

We had 2 main complaints about the cruise. 1--they didn't tell you how strenuous the tours were. From later posts it seems to be remedied. 2--our expedition leaders didn't have knowledge of the towns or location of things like a church for Sunday in Nagasaki or the ATM any place. There were also no maps available in case you wanted to strike out on your own. We met fascinating people and the crew was great.

Enjoy. Pat

the food tips. We'll have 3 days on our own so we'll be "on the prowl" quite a bit. I've always hated that plastic food model scenario but I think it will come in very handy! Our "bear" arrived today along with a DVD so it's beginning to feel like we're on our way.

Thanks Pat for all the tips -- really helpful when you are this far from home. I will look forward very much to the Korean artist as we have three handmade pieces from a crane artist in Korea that we love --our house doesn't look as eclectic (or junky) as it sounds -- I just love to buy something handmade from everywhere we go!

"Nowornever" what is a "bear"?

Pat, one more question as to how strenuous the tours are -- Don is walking with a cane these days from a fall just 4 weeks ago -- he has been okayed to go by all the docs, but he is a bit rocky sometimes on uneven ground. We're hoping that two more weeks will clear that up significantly. Can you give us an idea what to avoid?

Thanbk you and I wish you were going back with us Pat -- you sound like a pretty good tour guide!

Mimi

Mimi,

The castle in Matsue would be one to avoid--the stairs are more like ladders. Also the castle outside of Kobe--a hard climb. These are feudal castles. Also the tours in Nagasaki, alot of steep climbing. We went on our own in Nagasaki, mainly because it was Sunday and we wanted to go to church. Takamatsue is another town you can do on your own. At the tea ceremony, there are some stools for those who can't spend that much time on the floor.

They really do make every effort to make the cruise experience a good one.

You leave on my birthday--a good day to travel. Pat

is a little stuffed polar bear (like their logo) & it has a little kimono on which says "Cruise West." Yours in probably in the mail along with a pretty generic DVD. Thanks for the tips on the steps, Pat. The ladder-ish one sounds formidable. I too wish you going along as our guide. Did you have much rain?

We did the reverse of yours--so we had rain in Tokyo and the first stop. Otherwise nice weather. I'm jealous, we didn't get little bears. We are off to a Navy Vietnam Aviators reunion in Lemoore Ca, so won't get to answer any more questions til Tues. Pat

I envy all of you who are getting ready for this trip. Please excuse the informality of this reply, but here were some of our "best bets" from Japan:

1. Toilets. You should carry a terry cloth wash cloth in your handbag, as often there are no towels. You will see many Japanese women pulling out really cute colorful wash cloths from their bags. If you are stuck and need a "western" toilet, go for the Handicapped sign. But most places have some western style toilets.

2. Accessibility. One person in our party, in his 70's, had double hip replacement and a cane, and he managed pretty well. I fully agree about the "Ladder" style steps at Matsue and Himeji. I skipped them, too, though hubby didn't. But at least at Matsue, the wonderful alternative is a great shop at the bottom of the hill, selling all types of crafts from the Province. May have been one of the best shops I hit in the whole trip.

So there is always something else to do if you sit out the climbs. And the people watching is worthwhile. I wouldn't be TOO concerned about access, but you should always be careful of uneven ground, etc.

3. Restaurants: In Tokyo, there is a block of little restaurants side by side close to the Imperial. Just head towards Ginza, go under the overpass and it's on the right. Or ask the Connceirge for directions. Takashimaya Dept store also has a nice place (in the basement, I recall) with plastic food. The coffee shop in the hotel is a little pricey.

For those of you who wonder about Kobe beef in Kobe, it can be very expensive at dinner, but we tried out a resto recommended by Frommer for lunch and it was superb! It's name is Wakkoqu, and I'm sorry I can't provide a phone number, but the brochure that I kept is in Japanese. I imagine you can check the Frommer website for it. Reservations necessary, as it's rather small. A fixed price Kobe beef lunch ran about $50 p.p. And it was wonderful. You must take a taxi, but you'll be in a lovely area with some interesting shops and a nice residential area. Cabs back are no problem. Also, if you like sushi, as great place to go for a fun experience at low price is one of the "conveyor belt" sushi places. Not fancy, but you will get all the sushi you want, as they charge about $1 per plate. We enjoyed the one in Kyoto in the shopping area.

Have a truly wonderful time in this magical place. Bon voyage.

ScottnZelda or Pat -- did you transfer from Narita to Haneda for your intraJapan flight? We did our airfare on our own, so our transfer is our own responsibility as well. Any helpful hints? We have read that there is a regular bus that should be easy to find.

Thanks

Don & Mimi

For Donmimi,

Our itinerary was Tokyo to Kyoto, so our return flight was Osaka-Tokyo-NY. The Osaka to Tokyo flight went to Narita, so no change in airport was necessary in Tokyo. Sorry I can't offer more advice on this, but I'm sure someone else might be able to.

Note: there are also two airports in Osaka, so you have to get the right one for this flight. I think the airport symbol was KIX.

RE toiletries on board.....I think they were okay, but don't remember what type. But I always take my own tiny bottles of shampoo and (especially) conditioner. And you should take a little sunscreen with you.

As Pacmom mentioned, the 100 Yen ($1.00) and 1000 Yen ($10.00) shops are great. I found that credit cards were accepted more than I expected them to be, and remember that the ship generally provides lunch in a resto when there is a whole day outing. I think we may have changed about $1000 in Tokyo (ATMs), and used credit cards when we could, but we had leftover cash. (And I'm a shopper!)

There are several distinct styles of pottery, so you may want to train your eye a bit when you get there. But if you see something you really like, don't expect to necessarily find it again, as the differences in style are geographic. I saw some of he nicest celadon at the gift shop at the temple in Korea, and I came home kicking myself for not buying it. Prices were pretty good there, too.

Archived