Is it possible to walk to town from the cruise ship dock in St Thomas

CraigRDR1

Is it possible to walk to town from the dock in St Thomas?? Has anyone done it?? How long is the walk?? If not are cabs available at the dock or do you need a tour??

thanks in advance

Sailing on the Crown Princess 8/19/2007

Assuming you're docking at Havensight, it's a bit of a hike but folks have done it. I think the walk takes about 45 minutes, and it can get uncomfortable in the heat. There are sections that are not tree-lined so you'd be right out in the sun.

I believe all Princess dock at Crown Bay. This is a bit of a hike on a busy highway (the only one we have!) with no side walks for most of the walk. In the hot sun it wil lnot be pleasant, take a cab, about $5 per person, you will walk enough in town!

Enjoy your cruise!

B.

We did the walk in St. Thomas and it was about 45 minutes but there are places along the way that sell cold beer. We also picked-up items for the shipbuilding competition.

We did the walk in both St. Thomas and Barbados, and I enjoyed both. It is a nice way to see a bit of the real. No, it's not a Disney sanitized cruise tour. You will see bits of garbage by the side of the road, auto repair shops and you will get some (gasp) exercise... you will also get to say "hello" to everyone along the way.

We did the walk in St. Thomas and it was about 45 minutes but there are places along the way that sell cold beer. We also picked-up items for the shipbuilding competition.

We did the walk in both St. Thomas and Barbados, and I enjoyed both. It is a nice way to see a bit of the real. No, it's not a Disney sanitized cruise tour. You will see bits of garbage by the side of the road, auto repair shops and you will get some (gasp) exercise... you will also get to say "hello" to everyone along the way.

Thats why I enjoy walking...you get a better sense of the "real" island"

Thanks, it sounds like it might be too long and hot for most. Some cruise excursions end downtown for some reason. Next year I must decide if I want to take such a tour and find my own transportation back.

It is about a 45 minute walk, but if you do walk, you can see some of the most beautiful fish swimming just off the rocks next to the sidewalk most of the way back. For my husband and I, it was extreamly entertaining, we saw bigger and more beautiful fish then on our snorkeling tour. But it does get hot, so so if you don't like heat, (or walking) then you would be better off taking a cab.

I agree with everyone else - we walked it in October 2006 and it was a lovely walk but there is very little shade and it was very hot and I'm sure in warmer months, the heat can be quite intense. I would not recommend it for people who do not walk long distances on a regular basis.

We made it longer than it should have been by going the wrong way - we ended up near a KMart and had to backtrack so our walk was very long.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Havensight yes but Crown Bay is too far IMO and through an industrial type area.:) :D :) :D

We docked at Crown Bay (as far as I can recall--it was a year ago, on HAL, and definitely through an industrialized area) and it took us ~45 minutes. No problems. As pilotdane said, there were plenty of places to stop and get a cold beer to help us on our way.....

• 6 months later...
Something about the area looked creepy to me and I wouldn't feel comfortable walking it.

I have felt safe in St. Thomas....but I saw a "watch" about St. Thomas in our local Sunday paper today and thought I would post the article as an FYI. It sounds like the cruise passenger wandered into a "housing complex," not very smart.

http://www.virginislandsdailynews.com/index.pl/article_home?id=17623326

Got back from a Crown Princess cruise. I'm 32 and I thought the distance from Crown Bay to Charlotte Amelie was a bit far. I would suggest just paying for a cab to Charlotte Amelie and spend your energy walking through all the stores in town. There's also a great French restaurant called Herve that is up the hill that gives you a fantastic view of the harbor. So, my two cents are to get a cab to save energy for once you get into town. Have fun!

Archived