What's to do in Freeport?

bmytwokids

I'll be taking Carnival's 4 day cruise to bahamas on 7/29. I've booked Atlantis for the day in Nassau but was wondering what's to do in Freeport. We'll be docked there the entire day and I would like to get off the ship. Any suggestions? (p.s. I need some ideas that are kid-friendly!)

If you enjoy animals and water, I highly suggest the UNEXSO dolphin encounter or swim. It's a ferry ride away to the dolphin sanctuary from UNEXSO in Freeport, and quite a memorable experience. I did it with my daughter when she was 9 and she loved it. They focus on the animals and educating the guests rather than some places that just churn tourists through for amusement. We got to see Kayla, the dolphin from the movie "Zeus and Roxanne" which was filmed there a few years ago. I believe there is an age requirement for the swim, so be sure to ask before booking. Enjoy your trip! :D

By the way, how is the weather in the Bahamas in December? I've been down there in June, July and Labor Day week. Thanks :o

Beautiful! This past December it was in the 80's. And coming from the winter wonderland of FREEZING PA...we were in our glory!

Now, when we got back to Port Canaveral they were having unseasonable temps in the 50's. So *maybe* we just made it back just in time.

• 4 weeks later...

A couple I know in their late 50's with severe mobility problems have booked their first cruise--ever--on Carnival (I know, I know...) next month to Freeport and Nassau. I think they can manage the straw market, etc., in Nassau, but I'm not familiar with Freeport; is there anything there for them to do? Also, one of them is traveling with portable dialysis equipment; does anyone have any experience with how the ship will handle that?

You or they really need to contact Carnival with the booking number and inform them of the portable dialysis equipment to make sure Carnival is aware of their needs ahead of time. It may be no big deal to the cruise line; they've probably seen everything before. But just in case. Hopefully their travel agent already reported this.

Where Nassau is a large city with a city infrastructure, Freeport/Grand Bahama is much more rural and isn't much more than a spread-out town. Most people go to the Port Lucaya Marketplace via shared-taxi and spend time there and across the street at the Our Lucaya Resort (beaches). This is a 20-30 minute drive from the ship as the Port of Freeport is way out. In Nassau the ships dock right downtown.

BobK/Orlando

Thanks, BobK, that's what I was afraid of re Freeport. A friend reported that he went there on a day cruise from Miami and thought it was pretty dreary. I'll give Carnival a call about the dialysis, as I think they booked this directly and are pretty much in denial about the logistical problems of transporting numerous heavy boxes of bagged solution, the pump unit, etc....

A couple I know in their late 50's with severe mobility problems have booked their first cruise--ever--on Carnival (I know, I know...) next month to Freeport and Nassau. I think they can manage the straw market, etc., in Nassau, but I'm not familiar with Freeport; is there anything there for them to do? Also, one of them is traveling with portable dialysis equipment; does anyone have any experience with how the ship will handle that?

FWIW, they may enjoy staying on the ship in Freeport. We have done this stop on Carnival numerous times and honestly rarely get off the boat. It is at least a 25 minute bus or taxi ride to the beaches, excursions, shopping, etc. and knowing this Carnival does a good job of having daytime activites during the Freeport stop. More so than when they stop at Nassau.

They will have trivia, probably an art auction, bingo, demos, etc. to occupy their time. I agree with KingBob to have them contact Carnival directly. They are normally very responsive to passengers with special needs. I hope your friends have a wonderful cruise!

Archived