RCCL New Smoking Policy Discussion (merged)

More restrictions on the bad habit of smoking:

July 25, 2007

LOS ANGELES - Walt Disney Co. on Wednesday became the first major Hollywood studio to ban depictions of smoking, saying there would be no smoking in its family-oriented, Disney-branded films and it would “discourage” it in films distributed by its Touchstone and Miramax labels.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19955109/

NOT my real name - To quote you: "Look at your own words closely and see what it is you are saying. You are trying to decrease/stop smoking because of the benefits TO YOU. On the flip side, you are unconcerned about the negative health effects your habit causes OTHER PEOPLE. No amount of "hype or pressure" will get you to CARE ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE DOING TO OTHERS. Basically if you benefit you will try to stop. But if you cause death and disease to other people, you don't care and that is no reason for you to consider stopping. Can you see how this ME-FIRST reasoning would create problems for people who DO CARE ABOUT WHAT YOUR HABIT DOES TO THEM?"

We don't know each other so it's understandable for you to make assumptions. Since I was old enough to work, I've dedicated my life to helping others in my community. I've been a firefighter/EMT, a police officer and volunteered as a member of Emergency Management in various capacities, including a storm tracker. Now I work as a geriatric nurse. And I've never had anyone refuse my help because I've smoked.

May I politely say that you have no idea where I smoke or when or how much I smoke. It could be I only smoke in the privacy of my own home or car. Please don't make assumptions until or unless we meet and you can determine for yourself if my smoking is a danger to others. Deal?

As far as having a me-first attitude - yes, I've been accused of that. Ask the fire chief or police chief I worked for and they'll tell you I have no problem saying "I'll do it! I'll volunteer! Send me in first!"

Always have safe, happy and memorable cruises!

Cindy

I just wanted to thank you for your public services as well as your nursing services! Everything you do (or have done) is of a great benefit in keeping our society safe and taken care of. Thank you for your sacrifices and for doing a wonderful service for the rest of us! :)

what happens when the ship is in port and a nonsmoker wants to enjoy the balcony while the offending party is on his balcony puffing away in ecstasy?

Well since it is what rccl has deemed a "designated smoking area", you can't complain. And I doubt you are going to find many smokers that are willing to leave their balcony and run upstairs to smoke.

I know I won't be doing that.

I'm going to try and be polite here, but honest at the same time.

Whatever happened to compromise?!?!? My goodness, some of the non-smokers seem to want to have it 100% their way. In reality, that is pretty unreasonable and not very fair.

You don't want us smoking in the cabins and "stinking up your cabin when you use it next". Fine....ship us to the balcony. Now you want to restrict it there too? What's next? If you say "ban it everywhere" I'll burst into flames! ;) :D

Thanks to the new policy, the smokers have put in their part of compromise by being told not to smoke in the staterooms. OK, we won't. Case closed. Now what are the non-smokers willing to bring to the table? No offense intended, but smokers do not have to bow and scrape and indulge your every whim, especially since smoking on the balcony is what is being asked of us. Be courteous and follow the rules? Absolutely, and that applies to BOTH sides.

Whatever happened to compromise.Some smokers want it 100% their way.That seems pretty unfair to me.Some non-smokers want it retricted to half the balconies.But no,some smokers want it their way,all the balconies .Whats wrong with compromise.For non-smokers who favor balconies this new policy ain't squat.No offense intended but non-smokers will continue to tryto get some of the balconies non-smokers and for the few of you who refuse to compromise or have trouble with this too bad.PERIOD p.s. don't wear anything toxic if you burst into flames

I was sitting here this morning reading this thread over coffee... and suddenly, it all became clear to me. This new smoking policy is merely a red herring... and may be retracted soon. It was clearly designed to draw attention away from the "any-time dining" option that RCI is now testing.
Now THAT'S funny...:p :rolleyes:

No disrespect intended, but it's obvious you've never been a sailor. Cleaning never stops on a ship, be it a Navy vessel or a cruise ship. There will be just as much cleaning, that's not going to change at all.

I think you're correct about the cleaning, but the thing that might stop is the deodorizing... I think there's a difference. If you think they deodorize currently by aggressively washing bedspreads and such... I don't think so. There was a thread and a "dateline" special a while back where they took a UV or black-light and found all sorts of nasty things on bedspreads (and other surfaces that make you wonder how that got there). I don't think those remnants are BAD... as far as getting sick....disgusting, but not bad. I'm only saying this to define the 'cleaning' from the 'deodorizing'

A $250 penalty will be applied to the SeaPass for guests found smoking in staterooms.

This is a statement from RCCL's website.

The statement said FOUND, it said nothing about smelling it.

Do you have to be caught in the act? HMMMMMMMM :&)))))))))))))))))

Just kiddin', just kiddin'

I think some people may be missing the big pictue.

Who can forget the pictures of the Star Princess arriving in Montego Bay last year after a fire swept through the ship…damaging 150 staterooms on four decks, resulting in one death and leaving nearly a dozen other passengers severely ill from smoke inhalation. The final report from the investigating agency confirmed that the likely cause of the fire was someone smoking on their balcony.

In addition to the terrible human toll that fire took, the financial impact of repairing those rooms, providing hotel accommodations to the patrons of those 150 staterooms, flying passengers home from Montego Bay, paying out refunds, lost revenue from canceled sailings during repairs, and defending the wrongful death lawsuit is good incentive to limit smoking.

The North American cruise industry has reported that (in addition to the Star Princess) there have been 33 other fires aboard ships over the past 15 years (an average of a little over two a year) that has resulted in six deaths and 200 injuries. Sixteen of those fires were onboard Florida based ships. I have no idea of the origin of those 33 fires,but it certainly points out that the cruise industry has ample incentive to take all precautions to limit the potential of fire at sea.

But I suspect that it is the Star Princess fire that is driving the recent crackdown on smoking in staterooms. The policy changes are occuring in many cruise fleets and the others will follow shortly.

One can be cavalier about drinking, trans-fats, and high calorie foods, but the fact remains fire at sea kills...crew and passengers.

I would argue that the steps the cruise industry are taking are legitimate and reasonable steps that ultimately benefit all passengers - smokers and non-smokers alike.

A $250 penalty will be applied to the SeaPass for guests found smoking in staterooms.

This is a statement from RCCL's website.

The statement said FOUND, it said nothing about smelling it.

Do you have to be caught in the act? HMMMMMMMM :&)))))))))))))))))

Just kiddin', just kiddin'

Or... you might set off the smoke alarm.....:eek:

Sailor Jack... I pretty much agree with what you said but

If your reasons are coorect RCCL would make smoking in state room OK, smoking on balcony not OK

But I suspect that it is the Star Princess fire that is driving the recent crackdown on smoking in staterooms. The policy changes are occuring in many cruise fleets and the others will follow shortly..

The problem with that logic is that the Star Princess was started by a cigarette butt being thrown overboard ... i.e. from a balcony or upper public deck ... not inside of a stateroom. If the Star Princess fire were the catalyst then you'd think they'd be banning outdoor smoking....

I think some people may be missing the big pictue.

Who can forget the pictures of the Star Princess arriving in Montego Bay last year after a fire swept through the ship…damaging 150 staterooms on four decks, resulting in one death and leaving nearly a dozen other passengers severely ill from smoke inhalation. The final report from the investigating agency confirmed that the likely cause of the fire was someone smoking on their balcony.

And the big picture is that RCI's policy will likely increase the number of people smoking on balconies .... Hmmmm

And the big picture is that RCI's policy will likely increase the number of people smoking on balconies .... Hmmmm

Good point. However, I think, and I could most definitely be wrong, that this whole restrictive thing with smoking is baby steps paving the way to the eventuality that smoking will be banned in all public venues and areas. I wasn't aware that these major hotel chains have gone all non-smoking. I'm surprised by it on hand, and yet think it's the shape of things to come eventually.

I know it WILL offend and pi$$ off our smoking Friends, but I see it as an eventuality.

Good point. However, I think, and I could most definitely be wrong, that this whole restrictive thing with smoking is baby steps paving the way to the eventuality that smoking will be banned in all public venues and areas. I wasn't aware that these major hotel chains have gone all non-smoking. I'm surprised by it on hand, and yet think it's the shape of things to come eventually.

I know it WILL offend and pi$$ off our smoking Friends, but I see it as an eventuality.

We will just pay the cleaning fee :D

Over and over and over again :eek:

Are there any rules against incense or scented candles in your room? This started in my head as a smart @$$ question that I wasn't going to post but I started to wonder about it more

Candles are officially on the list of "what not to bring" and cabin attendants are specifically instructed to confiscate any candles that are brought on board. This is explicit in the in-room book of guest instructions. Incense is not specifically listed, but I would think that it would be confiscated, but that is just my opinion. I do not know for sure.

Personally, I see both the new "smoking rule" and the trial of open dining as mostly an effort to show investors that they are trying to make changes in the wake of their 92% drop in first quarter profits.

Aside from common sense, two things lead me to believe this, especially as regards the smoking policy .... The first place it was announced was to investor relations, and on several ships the guaranteed non-smoking lounge is the Champagne Bar (one of the smallest) and and several others it is the Viking Crown (one of the least populated).

The Princess line is taking steps to make balconies less susceptible to fire. Plastic furniture is now made of non-combustible material. Partitions which had been made of Polycarbonate are now aluminum. All balconies now have sprinklers. They have implemented a 24-hour watch on balconies and developed specific training on how to handle fires on balconies. They have also changed housekeeping procedures on balconies.

All of which should make balconies much less prone to the type of disaster caused by a smoker.

Look for RCI to implement many, if not all, of those types of procedures.

Hmmmmm back at ya....

I had been thinkg more along the lines of my personal satisfaction of having less smoke around...but the below is a great point

Who can forget the pictures of the Star Princess arriving in Montego Bay last year after a fire swept through the ship…damaging 150 staterooms on four decks, resulting in one death and leaving nearly a dozen other passengers severely ill from smoke inhalation. The final report from the investigating agency confirmed that the likely cause of the fire was someone smoking on their balcony

Whatever happened to compromise.Some smokers want it 100% their way.That seems pretty unfair to me.Some non-smokers want it retricted to half the balconies.But no,some smokers want it their way,all the balconies .Whats wrong with compromise.For non-smokers who favor balconies this new policy ain't squat. No offense intended but non-smokers will continue to try to get some of the balconies non-smokers and for the few of you who refuse to compromise or have trouble with this too bad.PERIOD p.s. don't wear anything toxic if you burst into flames

The closest thing right now I'm wearing that could be considered toxic is my deodorant, so I think I'll be alright! ;) :D

I do see your POV. But, SMOKERS are not the ones who wanted the balconies to smoke on all the time to begin with. The powers that be at RCCI put us there. That's not something we are in a position to change. So, we'll smoke on our balconies like we're told to. If we're following the rules, a non-smoker really doesn't have a leg to complain with. Now, if I'm asked nicely, the way another poster said he/she (sorry, can't remember the gender!) would ask, I'm sure I would be happy to compromise yet again. Keep in mind I don't HAVE to do that, because I am smoking where I'm allowed to, but would just to be a good neighbor. However, put me on the defensive and I'll smoke when I want to without discussion. After all, I AM following the rules! :cool:

Why should we have to compromise even further than we are being forced to? We are being "banished" to the balconies to smoke to make the non-smokers who don't want smoky cabins happy. Non-smokers, IMHO, shouldn't get it both ways. Either you let us smoke in the cabins or you let us smoke on the balconies. We have the right to enjoy our paid for vacation how we see fit just as much as you do. That's why we're all moving our "dastardly" habit outside.

This is what I meant by compromise. By saying you can't smoke in your cabin or on the balcony, because it "bothers" you and you don't feel it's right, the non-smokers are getting it 100% their way. We're willing to move it outside of the cabins to appease you. What are YOU doing to appease us?

PS- I have no problem if RCCI wants to divide the ship's balcony cabins by smoking and non-smoking. I don't recall ever saying I did have an issue with that. As a matter of fact, I don't recall any smoker here saying they'd have a problem with that. If I missed it, please feel free to point me in the right direction.

The Princess line is taking steps to make balconies less susceptible to fire. Plastic furniture is now made of non-combustible material. Partitions which had been made of Polycarbonate are now aluminum. All balconies now have sprinklers. They have implemented a 24-hour watch on balconies and developed specific training on how to handle fires on balconies. They have also changed housekeeping procedures on balconies.

All of which should make balconies much less prone to the type of disaster caused by a smoker.

Look for RCI to implement many, if not all, of those types of procedures.

Hmmmmm back at ya....

Good point! :)

Another opportunity for a reminder not to hang clothing out on the balconies as well. A bathing suit made of synthetic material was what caught on fire. I hope someone can explain to me how you are able to hang clothes out there anyhow without them blowing off, or why you'd want to....but I digress...

I'm NOT saying that to remove the blame from the moron who threw their cigarette over. YES, that was WRONG. You should always dispose properly of smoking materials. I was riding my motorcycle down the highway a few years back and the idiot passenger in the car in front of my threw a cigarette out the window. It bounced up and stuck to my helmet shield. Imagine if I had not been wearing it.... I may be considered an advocate for the smoking side of this debate, but I will get very angry with any smoker who feels it's OK to throw their butts wherever they choose.

If you really wanted to use the Star Princess fire comparison to make your point about smoking on the balconies, there are some other things to keep in mind when using that as a basis for debate.

1. Someone could have very easily thrown that cigarette from anywhere on the ship, not just a balcony. And no...that's not a good reason to ban smoking ship-wide. Most smokers know better and abide by the rules. That was a very unfortunate incident caused by an idiot. Not to trivialize the tragedy of that fire, but idiots cause these things to happen quite a bit. This isn't an isolated incident. Guns being misfired and killing someone by accident, drunk driving accidents, or even just an "oops" car accident (those are another debate though! lol). No one is ever safe from the misjudgments of another.

2. If you want to ban smoking on that basis, then you'd better get rid of the travel irons, candles, and all the other miscellaneous crap people believe they're entitled to use even though the rules say NO.

3. Oh yeah...get rid of the cooking stoves, hot water heaters, and anything that produces heat on the ship. Those do cause fires too. When I was a child, our neighbor's home burned to the ground because of a faulty hot water heater.

Not offended and not pi$$ed off! :) If it happens, I'll deal with it then. Until then, I will continue to cruise and smoke (following the rules, of course) and advocating what I believe in. Compromise on both ends! :D

Until the local and federal governments stop making cigerettes and charging us over 50% of the cost in taxes and then make them illegal how dare you non-smokers continue to complain. What are you doing to help keep your local governments in business???? I think they should make drinking illegal. Drinkers kill people too when they get behind a wheel and drive or they jump overboard!!! I haven't heard of one instance that a sobber smoker jumping overboard have you?? We just want to enjoy our vacation...

Archived