Your Favorite Hotel in Rome

bogie113

Hi All

We are doing BTB Rome/Venice - Venice/Athens and have reservations for our one night in Rome at the Splendide Royal and the Majestic, but would like to hear about your favorite hotels or your input on these..

I know I would like to be on or near the Via Veneto but we don't want to pay the freight for the Hassler or the De Russe just to unjetlag. :o . In fact, the only reason we are going a day ahead is 'cause we couldn't upgrade to business on the day of sailing :( . So what could be so bad about an extra day in Rome? ;)

Any help would be appreciated.

Marsha

We stayed for our Jet Lag day at the Sheraton Roma before a Tauck Tour last year. It was a lovely hotel to spend a day adjusting. They picked us up at the Rome Airport via their shuttle. They are off the beaten track, but, they offered shuttles regularly (every 1/2 hour) to the Spanish Steps.

We stayed for three post cruises nights two years ago at the Bernini Bristol Hotel. Its on Bernini square, right at the Via Veneto - I also had clients who stayed there a few months earlier. Like many hotels in Rome, it is old, but they have refurbished it very nicely, the location was perfect and we walked everywhere and they have a wonderful roof top bar that had fantastic views of St Peter's dome.

I would easily stay there again.

My favorite hotel in Rome is the Russie for service, size of rooms and the quality of air conditioning--a really important consideration in summer! However, you might like the Minerva which is very close to the Pantheon. It's an older hotel with lovely rooms. I prefer it to hotels on the Via Veneto because it is more centrally located.

We just returned from Rome this weekend, and our favorute hotel is the De Russie. We have stayed there 3 times and the ac, service, breakfast included and spa can't be beat. Just sitting in the gardens at breakfast makes it all worth while. If thats not the hotel you desire try the Eden, I understand its very nice, roof top restaurant and a great location.

We stayed for three post cruises nights two years ago at the Bernini Bristol Hotel. Its on Bernini square, right at the Via Veneto - I also had clients who stayed there a few months earlier. Like many hotels in Rome, it is old, but they have refurbished it very nicely, the location was perfect and we walked everywhere and they have a wonderful roof top bar that had fantastic views of St Peter's dome.

I would easily stay there again.

We agree the Bernini Bristol is in the middle of everything. There is a internet cafe next store. Lots of good cafes, shopping and a link to the underground transit system.

The Bernini is wonderful. I feel the Hassler has slipped (too many conventions and groups). We found the what I thought was the perfect place. On the Via Veneto, above the Ferragamo Men's Store is The Portait Suites Hotel. The hotel is owned by the Ferragamo family.

We had a two floor suite that could not be beat. The halls are lined with the most wonderful memobilia from Ferragamo (Marilyn Monroe's receipt for her shoe purchase, etc).

Have already booked into the same suite for the fall Voyager crossing. Going a week before the cruise begins. Can hardly wait.

We stayed at the Marriott hotel several years ago in Rome. It is on the Via Veneto (way at the top, near the old wall) and loved it. The rooms were large, sparkling clean and the service was excellent. Great breakfast in the hotel dining room and within walking distance of many shops, rests. etc. Also, good a/c. Loved the location. They provide a limo service to the airport that is very reasonable too. There is a bus stop right across the street that we used to get to the Vatican, Spanish Steps etc. Very easy to get around. They had an excellent concierge ( at that time) that gave us great recommendations on sites and rests.

If you have Marriott points you can redeem those too. We were there for 7 days after a cruise and redeemed points for half of the stay and paid for the other half.

Hope this helps

Micked10

We have enjoyed stays at both the Westin Excelsior and the Hotel Eden. Each has wonderful rooms and excellent locations within walking distance of the Spanish Steps and other major attractions. The Hotel Eden also has a fantastic restaurant with views of the city.

We'd stay again in a heartbeat at the Westin Excelsior. Our room was so magnificient. Food and service in the hotel was exquisite. So was a visit to the Eden - any of the hotels - Russie, Bernini Bristol are wonderful.

But, if I were going in one night just for jet lag adjusting, I would not stay there or any of the other ***** places. The Sheraton has the Sweet Sleeper beds for 1/3 of the price and the shuttle was perfect for some light touring/walking around.

Archived