RB's Daily WW Chat

RB Bonzo

Julia, where is your cruise and on which ship?

What is everyone else having this weekend to eat?

Cinna

We are cruising on the SUN Princess, Seattle to Sydney with stops in Hawaii, Tahiti, Fiji, NZ.

Busy eating oatmeal for lunch as I didn't feel like anything else.

I made a lamb casserole yesterday in the crock pot so we are having that again for dinner tonight cause there was a lot left, probably with brown rice as we had ww pasta last night and then a veggie.

Julia, that cruise looks amazing!

We did a 12 nighter 2 years ago from Auckland to Sydney on the Sapphire Princess. Combined it with a stay in NZ first and Australia after. Pray for good weather on the day cruising the fjords. Although we had some miserable weather in Dunedin and Wellington, the fjord day was absolutely stunning. The views were wonderful.

I am very envious of you. I would love to go to the South Pacific but it is an awfully long way from here and the flight prices are horrendous. We docked in Sydney between the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge. Great memories. You will need all your willpower to survive 30 days onboard ship without gaining too much.

BTW the Lamb casserole was delish. Tasty and filling.

Cinna

Hello All,

I am man free this weekend so I am making very simple things for myself. I have so many tomatoes and cucumbers that I have been eating them sliced and in sandwiches. I toast up 2 pieces of WW bread, put a thin layer of miracle whip light, a piece of 2% cheese, 2 thick tomato slices, 4 slices of cucumber, sprinkle with "camp mix" (has garlic powder, celery salt, pepper, onion powder) and voila a low point yummy sandwich! I count it as 2 points because the layer of miracle whip is thin,thin. I have been eating those whenever I need a quick guiltless snack. I will cook a real meal tomorrow. I bought the WW cookbook at the meeting the other day and there are some good recipes in it. I will post some after I try them but it looks good! The carrot cake with cream cheese frosting looks good (my favorite cake) and my b-day is coming up in a week and a half. I might make it for myself so that I can enjoy a slice or two and not blow all my hard work. Otherwise, hubby will buy an Alden Merrill and I will end up eating it for days!!

Julia, that cruise looks amazing!

We did a 12 nighter 2 years ago from Auckland to Sydney on the Sapphire Princess. Combined it with a stay in NZ first and Australia after. Pray for good weather on the day cruising the fjords. Although we had some miserable weather in Dunedin and Wellington, the fjord day was absolutely stunning. The views were wonderful.

I am very envious of you. I would love to go to the South Pacific but it is an awfully long way from here and the flight prices are horrendous. We docked in Sydney between the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge. Great memories. You will need all your willpower to survive 30 days onboard ship without gaining too much.

BTW the Lamb casserole was delish. Tasty and filling.

Cinna

We are going to have a blast and have some amazing excursions planned. We ate travelling with some friends that live in Brisbane along with there kids so it should be really fun as the 4 kids all got on so well when we were in AU 2 years ago.

I am trying hard not to think of all the wonderful food I love onboard, I am down 32lbs and definately don't want to put it all back on but don't want to not enjoy the cruise because I don't let myself have my favorites. I am packing some workout clothes and plan on doing lots of walking and swimming etc before lunch and dinner so I can earn the treats:D :rolleyes:

Julia - I looked at your cruise history closely for the first time and see that you were on the Disney Magic right after we were. We were on a special Eastern itinerary that stopped in San Juan. I recall that it was the two sailings before us and the two right after us were both impacted by hurricanes and felt very fortunate that ours went off without a hitch. We like Disney quite a bit with the kids but, now that they're a little older, I think that I'd do RC if we were to bring them on a cruise again. Not that Disney doesn't do a good job w/ the teens, but I thing RC is better geared for that age group.

We were on the Sun Princess 11 years ago; I think it was one of Princess's newest ships at the time. Have a great time, and good luck keeping active!

RB, we love the Disney cruise when we take the kids they are now 13 and 9 so we still have a couple of years to take them before they totally out grow it, they have only been on Carnival and much prefer DCL, this is going to be their first Princess but there are only 8 kids in total on board of which 2 are mine and 2 are friends of ours:D Hope they can keep them busy:rolleyes:

We have never cruised RC - my sister and her family went on their first cruise on RC and they are the only people I know who have no intention to cruise again so I haven't been tempted to try them:D

Does that mean that he's a free man? - Very cute RB! LOL - DH goes away rustic camping twice a year with a group of guys and basically drinks and eats all weekend! They revert back to teenagers I think from the stories I am told. His buddy came back with a big scratch under his eye. When I asked him about it he said that a very quick wrestling match broke out - LOL - yeah, it looked brief - he got the worst of it.

As for the article I can honestly say that the TV watching is one of my biggest areas where I mess up. I am great with my meals all day long and track all my points but for me TV time ends up being munch fest. I keep track of the points in my head but rarely write them down until the next morning from memory. This leads me to end up going over my points many times. When I'm not loosing its usually because of the extra glass of wine or the cheese and crackers I added into my night that wasn't accounted for. Atleast I know where to look though when I am not loosing well. Thats half the battle.

Thanks for the link.

So instead of slumpimng in front of the TV this evening, I am sittting at the PC, typing this to you. On the other hand, I have had a busy day so I don't feel bad.

Had a homemade Pork Meatloaf with apple sauce, mashed potatoes, gravy,broccoli and cauliflower for dinner. Lovely. It is a WW recipe too. 4 points in our system plus the spuds. I have enough points left today to have my usual nightly snack of a WW chocolate toffee biscuit bar when I do eventually slump in front of the box!

Happy Mondays!

Cinna

Here is a very interesting article from my local newspaper that discusses the current views on obesity from a Yale University researcher who is widely considered to be one of the top experts on the subject. It isn't particularly encouraging - -

http://*****.com/2oea57

I think that at least some of his cynicism may be the consequence of his personal difficulties.

I can see both sides of this issue. We all know what we need to do to lose weight and be healthy. In fact, I believe that overweight people know much more about diet and exercise that their thin counterparts. However, it is about self-discipline. High fat and sugar foods are easier and cheaper to buy and eat. In the world we live in, where we are all crazy, busy, fast-food and convenience foods have become a staple in all of our lives. The trick is balance. There are also healthy alternatives that are fast and convenient, but you have to work to find them and pay more for them sometimes.

As for kids, I don't think price has as much to do with it as availability. Given the choice, they will choose what tastes best to them. However, I don't believe the answer lies in regulations. My children would rather starve than choose something like carrots from a vending machine. We can't keep blaming society, the government, or big business for all of our problems. We make our own choices, teach our own children, and suffer our own consequences.

Ok, I'll get off my soap box now. Bet you're sorry you asked that question, huh?;)

Have a great day!

actually, I hadn't expressed any opinion on the specific policy changes that he's endorsing - I wanted to give others a chance to weigh in (no pun intended) first.

I agree with him more than I disagree. Our farm policy subsidizes corn syrup, corn, & wheat, making less healthy food cheaper than it otherwise would be and therefore making it relatively more affordable than healthier foods. That is nuts. Although I'm not sure that we should go in the opposite direction, at the very least, we should be hands-off. As it now stands, we are promoting junk food. If our policy is going to try to influence eating choices, then it should be in the other direction.

I do agree w/ Beth that kids prefer the foods that taste better and that is the major reason why they prefer less healthy foods.

I don't know if it is the same in the US, but over here one of the main problems with youngsters is that they get so little 'natural' exercise now. They don't play out because their parents are afraid they will be abducted, they play little sport in school and sit in front of a TV or Computer screen a lot. That is where the obesity epidmic is starting.

As a child, we played outside all the holidays. We have a small green space in front of our house that my sons would be on all the time in the summer holidays. Now we seldom see children out there.

I know that my weight rose steadily after I started driving a car in my late twenties. Before then I used public transport which involved a lot more walking.

Cinna

hi, guys - gonna have to be free swim/open mic, etc. for a few days due to some personal issues I have to deal with. Nothing serious, but will take up my time for a few days.

Onward & downward!

Hope everything is good.

I agree that the kids make unhealthy choices but maybe is the healthier foods were subsadized instead of the ones that are now more parents would buy them and then the kids would have healthier options to choose from - I am trying to teach my kids to make healthier choices, I still buy the 'bad' stuff but not in the same quantaties as before and also try to limit the daily intake of them. My DS is in elementary school still and they only get 10 minutes of recess a day, DD in Middle school gets recess about once a week which is way too little for them to be active.:eek:

hi, guys - gonna have to be free swim/open mic, etc. for a few days due to some personal issues I have to deal with. Nothing serious, but will take up my time for a few days.

Onward & downward!

Hope everything is good.

I agree that the kids make unhealthy choices but maybe is the healthier foods were subsadized instead of the ones that are now more parents would buy them and then the kids would have healthier options to choose from - I am trying to teach my kids to make healthier choices, I still buy the 'bad' stuff but not in the same quantaties as before and also try to limit the daily intake of them. My DS is in elementary school still and they only get 10 minutes of recess a day, DD in Middle school gets recess about once a week which is way too little for them to be active.:eek:

Any more recipes?

I made a lovely Mushroom Risotto which was 4 points in our system. Used some dried, then soaked, Porcini mushrooms and fresh ones, an onion, a splash of wine, arborio rice and a little grated Parmesan cheese to finish it off. I adapted a recipe from the WW site.

Tonight I am making Salmon Fishcakes served with peas and carrots. It needs to be a light meal as I eat before WI on Thursdays.

What is everyone else having?

Cinna

Thanks for the link. Interesting that it has taken the cruiselines this long to get around to looking at Transfats.

I am currently looking into the RCCL site to check out their 'Lighter' menus. I really don't want my current hard work to go awry in November.

This board is very quiet when RB is not here to jolly us along. :)

Been away the last couple of days - drove out to Pittsburgh and back to help lay my dear uncle to rest. He was one of the most wonderful people that I've known, and he has influenced me in many ways. Many of the qualities that I see in myself I saw so much more of in him. He will always be an inspiration for me to be a better person. I miss him.

I saw much family that I had not seen for four months, so I enjoyed many comments about my weight loss and progress. Two cousins asked me to e-mail them links to the Couch to 5k running podcast - maybe fitness can be infectious and is spreading?

I stayed on program while I was away, although hitting the GHG's wasn't easy (dairy and healthy oils not so easy to come by). Managed to exercise as well - great fun running in other cities. Lots of bad choices that could have been made from the various food platters brought to my aunt's house - but I managed to focus on the reasonably healthy alternatives.

It occurred to me that funerals and mourning periods are one of the more perilous times to stay OP. By focusing on the memories and the friends and family, and by practicing MINDFUL EATING, I did ok.

The other hazard I had to navigate was driving 9 hours each on two consecutive days. I did a much job on the way back than I did on the way out - but nothing too outrageous.

Good to be back home.

RB sorry to hear about the loss of your Uncle. Sounds like you did amazingly well with all the pressure you were under. Nice job keeping the big picture in focus. I hope that you will continue to have that focus over the next few weeks and when the holidays are here. For me when I am down or depressed about life situations it is very easy for me to go overboard. Again, sorry for your loss.

I have been quiet on this board primarily because I am bummed about my injury and not being able to run. I did continue to stay OP until Thursday when I stopped journalling, weighing myself and counting points. I haven't stepped on a scale and I skipped my meeting. My leg is not coming along as quickly as I would like and I cannot do any real form of lower body exercise (unless I want to swim - which I haven't brought myself to do). I need to get my head back in the game before I leave on my trip in two weeks or I may have some serious ramifications on the scale when I return. I'll keep you posted.

Archived