Insurance: What company do you use?

virginiab

personally, I would not want to make a claim with my homeowners for anything if I can avoid it. I have heard too many horror stories of rates getting raised if you make a claim. The recommendation that I have seen is to only make a homeowners claim if it is a major disaster, don't make it for anything under a couple thousand. And many medical policies have lifetime limits and making a claim could put a good size dent in that, and also you might have to deal with deductibles and co-pays. I would rather shell out an extra hundred and have the travel insurer be the primary payer and not have to worry about what these others may or may not cover.

personally, I would not want to make a claim with my homeowners for anything if I can avoid it. I have heard too many horror stories of rates getting raised if you make a claim. The recommendation that I have seen is to only make a homeowners claim if it is a major disaster, don't make it for anything under a couple thousand. And many medical policies have lifetime limits and making a claim could put a good size dent in that, and also you might have to deal with deductibles and co-pays. I would rather shell out an extra hundred and have the travel insurer be the primary payer and not have to worry about what these others may or may not cover.

That's fine as long as you are aware that "pays first" does not necessarily mean "only payer."

This is directly from Travelex (a primary insurer) describing how they handle claims:

"Travelex term: Primary Coverage

Definition: The Company will pay first, but reserves the right to recover from any other insurance carrier with which you may be enrolled.

Plain Language: If and when a claim needs to be filed, file first with Travelex Insurance Services, without paying a deductible. Travelex will then go to the traveler's other insurance providers to recover any costs that may be covered by them."

So, if you have a major medical emergency costing thousands, using a primary insurer may not in fact protect you from having that amount charged against your lifetime limit.

And a large baggage loss claim may show up with your homeowner's insurance carrier anyway.

That's fine as long as you are aware that "pays first" does not necessarily mean "only payer."

This is directly from Travelex (a primary insurer) describing how they handle claims:

"Travelex term: Primary Coverage

Definition: The Company will pay first, but reserves the right to recover from any other insurance carrier with which you may be enrolled.

Plain Language: If and when a claim needs to be filed, file first with Travelex Insurance Services, without paying a deductible. Travelex will then go to the traveler's other insurance providers to recover any costs that may be covered by them."

So, if you have a major medical emergency costing thousands, using a primary insurer may not in fact protect you from having that amount charged against your lifetime limit.

And a large baggage loss claim may show up with your homeowner's insurance carrier anyway.

Man, cruiseco you know your stuff. Once again you came through with some little detail that can matter alot. Thank you. I have an insurance checklist that includes many items you have posted.

We travel often and watched a show with Peter Greenberg who suggested that instead of extended health care insurance for travel, a better buy is the type of insurance that will ensure that you are flown back to North America to the hospital of your choice by qualified medical staff on an appropriate aircraft whether or not it it is medically necessary (repatriation). It also includes the transportation of a companion. Does anyone have any experience with this type of insurance? Do they really follow through or is in full of loopholes? Thanks, We are really considering this option - it seems like what we really need and is reasonably priced.

Medjet is one of these options. One reason we like it is you buy one year coverage which can cover several trips.

Archived