Pre-Wedding Honeymoon on QM2: we newbies need help!

huoat

This is sort of a simple question from a complete and total first timer for a cruise, let alone a transatlantic voyage on the Queen Mary 2: How do we get the most out of our trip?

My fiance and I are traveling on the Queen Mary 2, departing from Southampton on 9 August. We just got our tickets today! We have a room with an obstructed view balcony on the 8th deck. We had been hoping for an upgrade, but unfortunately, no fairy for us.

Here's the thing, this needs to be extra special for us: We are getting married in Princeton, NJ on August 18th and are using the Queen Mary 2 to transport ourselves and also my wedding dress from London (where we live) to the wedding. It is also our only honeymoon, as we both start new jobs right when we get back from the States.

So, from top to bottom, what do you "regulars" do? We are supposed to check in at 1, from these boards it seems like it's a complete hassle. Do you have any advice on the best way to deal with the crowds? And most importantly: what is the best way of dealing with my dress? Do I carry it on, much like in boarding a plane? That worries me more than a bit..

What is the first thing that we should do when we board? We go to the stateroom... and then? Sounds like run around and make reservations places seems to be the most important first step. So: Tod English, The Spa, and what else? What else do we need to pre-book for?

We also didn't get the table for 2 that we requested. From the boards it seems like the best thing to do is to go ask the Maitre D' first thing. Should we be worried that we won't get there in time if we're boarding at 1?

Where should we try to be when the boat takes off? Is there a particular lounge or area that has the excitement, a glass of champagne but not the hordes of people who aren't quite sure what's going on? Where does some one who has done this a couple of times make sure to be?

I've read here that the food is passable -- which worries me. I used to review restaurants for a living etc and really appreciate food with intention. I recognize that it's a very big boat with lots of people, but I had been convinced by a couple of family members that it would amazing regardless of the volume. (I am also allergic to cilantro, so worry about anyone attempting "fusion" food. Though my impression is that this should be a very old school experience.) Can you give me an idea of what to expect with the food and the wine? (How marked up is wine? How much of a wine list is there with dinner? Is it all by the bottle or is there a selection by the glass?)

We've decided to embrace the dressy thing. My fiance is renting a tux and I've had my mom post me a couple of my old formal gowns. The thing is: will we feel ridiculous? We're not even 30, so if the only people who get dressed up are 80, it would be nice to know ahead of time. Any insights?

I know that there are tons of things that I haven't even thought to ask, and I also bet that my skim of this board didn't turn up any where near all of the nuggets buried in it. Are there any posts that are particularly instructive? I've read all of the reviews for Transatlantic voyages for the last year and some...

Thanks so much for making it to the bottom of this rambling post. I am very excited, and a bit overwhelmed. Mostly, I can't wait! (Of course, I have to get the seating chart and every wedding thing done before we get onboard, so the stress level is a bit high at the moment. ;))

Best,

huoat

We are getting married in Princeton, NJ on August 18th and are using the Queen Mary 2 to transport ourselves and also my wedding dress from London (where we live) to the wedding. It is also our only honeymoon

Congratulations to your wedding and for choosing the QM2.

Read some of the old threads and you will not get only more information but your anticipation will rise, too.

So, from top to bottom, what do you "regulars" do? We are supposed to check in at 1, from these boards it seems like it's a complete hassle. Do you have any advice on the best way to deal with the crowds? And most importantly: what is the best way of dealing with my dress? Do I carry it on, much like in boarding a plane? That worries me more than a bit..

Arrive early or late to avoid the "rush hour". Yet it shouldn't be that totally bad. After checking in you can sit in a lounge and wait for boarding. You can even have a drink if you like.

You leave your baggage with a porter when you enter the terminal buildings. Yet if you want to carry your dress only (not a suitcase) on your own, this will be fine, too.

What is the first thing that we should do when we board? We go to the stateroom... and then? Sounds like run around and make reservations places seems to be the most important first step. So: Tod English, The Spa, and what else? What else do we need to pre-book for?

You might be able to make reservations already while waiting for boarding in the lounge.

If you do it at all, it your decision. As first thing on board I prefer to just start to discover the ship and maybe have a quick lunch, but certainly tea.

We also didn't get the table for 2 that we requested. From the boards it seems like the best thing to do is to go ask the Maitre D' first thing. Should we be worried that we won't get there in time if we're boarding at 1?

No need to worry because of the time. If possible by all means the Maitre D# will be happy to accomodate you even if you should you only later in the voyage decide to change your mind.

Do not be scared even if you should not get a table for two. Many passengers are nice and friendly. :)

Where should we try to be when the boat takes off? Is there a particular lounge or area that has the excitement, a glass of champagne but not the hordes of people who aren't quite sure what's going on? Where does some one who has done this a couple of times make sure to be?

For solitude you could of course stand on your balcony. Most crowded will be probably the pool area where the band plays.

Some passengers like to be on the forward observation deck, other as far aft as possible. Anywhere outside weather permitting.

I've read here that the food is passable -- which worries me. I used to review restaurants for a living etc and really appreciate food with intention. I recognize that it's a very big boat with lots of people, but I had been convinced by a couple of family members that it would amazing regardless of the volume. (I am also allergic to cilantro, so worry about anyone attempting "fusion" food. Though my impression is that this should be a very old school experience.) Can you give me an idea of what to expect with the food and the wine? (How marked up is wine? How much of a wine list is there with dinner? Is it all by the bottle or is there a selection by the glass?)

Many different opinions about the food. I am afraid if you are a professional food critic you will not be satisfied. is It amazing considering the huge number of people served but not compared to a small high-ranked restaurant. The wine-list is the biggest on the sea (so they say) yet with many new world drinks and only a limited choice of European wines.

We've decided to embrace the dressy thing. My fiance is renting a tux and I've had my mom post me a couple of my old formal gowns. The thing is: will we feel ridiculous? We're not even 30, so if the only people who get dressed up are 80, it would be nice to know ahead of time. Any insights?

You will perfectly fit in with tux and formal gown. Almost everybody dresses up from teen to granny and you might even see pre-school boys wearing dinner suits.

Enjoy!

Being out of the wedding loop for over 40 years I must ask this question. In as much as you are bringing a wedding dress fom London to be married in New Jersey, would it not make better sense for your groom to purchase a tuxedo so he does not have to rent twice, one for on-board and then again for the wedding?

Haha! Too right. If only we'd know that we were going to be taking the Queen Mary 2 when we picked and paid for the tuxes for the wedding for the groomsmen and the groom!

We decided to do this after my mother jokingly suggested that if we were going to have to pay the August prices for airfare we might as well take the Queen Mary 2 and at least enjoy it. And we certainly will!

First off...congratulations...on the upcoming big event and on your choice of the Queen Mary 2 to "pre-honeymoon" on!! Not a bad way to start out!!

While I"m not sure about Southampton, I thought Todd English had a table set up where you could book as you boarded...that's what we did in Florida last year. As to the spa, pre book...you can do that right on line or on the phone. I prebooked all of our spa appointments about a month in advance and the appointment cards were in our mail holder at the cabin when we boarded. Look for the Canyon Ranch link on the Cunard site and do it that way so you don't waste time after boarding.

We enjoyed our sailaway on the very top deck, closest to the horn and loved it up there. It was an amazing place to feel the movement of the ship as she pulled away from the dock. While there were people up there it was far from crowded and was perfect. We stopped in the Commodore Club, got our drinks and carried them up with us. Plan to do the same again in November even if it is cold when we sail in the evening.

AS to dress, you will not feel out of place in a gown...QM2 as you've no doubt read, can be very formal so you'll fit right in. It's not just the older folks who dress, believe me.

If I were you, I'd carry my dress on...I'd not let it out of my hands! Not that I'm paranoid or anything, but that's something I'd not want misplaced.

We ate in Britannia, and while none of us are food critics, we are accustomed to fine dining. We had no complaints on any score with food or service. I know there have been some comments in a negative vein, but I believe the positive experiences far outweigh them.

While my review is not of a TA, you may enjoy it for the essence of the ship I attempted to convey. The link for it is in my signature...and don't miss this other review written by my friend Pepper of his TA...extremely well written...I took it with me as reference.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=514324

Just relax and let this great ship work its magic on you...all will be better than you expect and you'll wonder where the time went. And best wishes to you both...

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continues....

Where should we try to be when the boat takes off?

Far, Far away from where it is going to land :D

Seriously though, have a great time, and congratulations on the upcoming wedding.

James

Originally Posted by Huoat

So, from top to bottom, what do you "regulars" do? We are supposed to check in at 1...from these boards it seems like it's a complete hassle. Do you have any advice on the best way to deal with the crowds? And most importantly: what is the best way of dealing with my dress? Do I carry it on, much like in boarding a plane?

First off, try and get to the Southampton Pier around 11:30 am, boarding usually begins around then, if you arrive promptly you can get aboard the QM2 by noon. Don't worrry about what time your tickets say to board, the ticketing people never check.

I would suggest carrying your wedding dress aboard, it will probably get wrinkled in a suitcase. At least you'll have the comfort of knowing where your dress is. You can always have it pressed aboard ship.

Once you board QM2 go to your cabin and leave your carry on luggage and wedding dress, then have a wander around, explore this grand ship. It's definitely a good idea to make a reservation at Todd English for dinner.

We also didn't get the table for 2 that we requested. From the boards it seems like the best thing to do is to go ask the Maitre D' first thing.

The Britannia opens for seating requests shortly after the voyage is underway. You will more than likely be able to find a table for two. However, I suggest sitting at a larger table. I realize it's your honeymoon, but, it's so much fun getting to know your table mates. You will look forward to seeing them each evening and regale them with your adventures that day.

We've signed up for a table of eight for our upcoming honeymoon next April.

I've read here that the food is passable -- which worries me... I'm also allergic to cilantro, so worry about anyone attempting "fusion" food.

Forget what you read. The food on the Queen Mary 2 is excellent. You will thoroughly enjoy each meal and practice a new hobby of reading the dinner menu after it is posted each afternoon outside of the Britannia. If you speak with the Maitre D and your waiter regarding your allergy to cilantro you shouldn't have a problem. Here is a site that will give you an idea of some of the offerings you can expect.

http://www.qm2reviews.com/menus.htm

Where should we try to be when the boat takes off?

Go up to deck 12, then walk up another deck to the top of the ship, this is a great spot. Also the Observation Deck on 11 deck is a nice spot to watch the sail away from Southampton.

One of the great joys of ocean travel are the formal nights and on QM2 they are very memorable. You will not feel ridiculous, you will feel as though you've been whisked away to an elegant fantasyland with all of the passengers parading around in their finery. The people that will feel ridiculous are those few that decide to take a rain check on formal and stroll around in their jeans.

This is not an octogenarian vessel, the QM2 attracts a wide spectrum of ages. However, you will meet a plethora of very interesting people particularly the folks who are older than you.

You will have a marvelous voyage aboard the Queen Mary 2, have lunch one day in the Golden Lion, play some pub trivia there. Stroll around the promenade deck. Go to the planetarium, don't miss afternoon tea in the Queens Room. Have a lovely wedding and a happy life together.

Jonathan

Go up to deck 12, then walk up another deck to the top of the ship, this is a great spot. Also the Observation Deck on 11 deck is a nice spot to watch the sail away from Southampton.

One of the great joys of ocean travel are the formal nights and on QM2 they are very memorable. You will not feel ridiculous, you will feel as though you've been whisked away to an elegant fantasyland with all of the passengers parading around in their finery. The people that will feel ridiculous are those few that decide to take a rain check on formal and stroll around in their jeans.

Jonathan

Yeah! What he said!

I've not heard of an allergy to cilantro. I'm curious, are you also allergic to other types of parsley? Italian or Curly? I think cilantro is related, though I could be wrong, and it seems to me a lot of people don't know the difference, though some say cilantro is spicer. I don't find it so, but then, I am not that knowledgeable. Shoot, I have an encyclopedia of herbs at home. I guess I will look that up tonight!

Anyway, I would definitely speak to the head-waiter upon arrival, and maybe register that with the ships customer service people (Cunard can give you a fax number) the same way you can give special dietary instructions before boarding, such as diabetic, low salt, lactose intolerant, halal or kosher or other dietary restrictions. I should think you would want to get word to the Chef d'hotel or restaurant Manager, or Chief chef, since as a seasoning, the waiter might not know if a dish contained cilantro, vs. something like strawberries, peanuts or shellfish. Just a thought.

As for the food itself, as a food reviewer, your tastes are probably more refined and sensitive than the average person. However, I found the food on QM2 (with few exceptions, and the waiters can usually tell you when a particular meal is not up to par) I found it to be excellent!

Ask your wedding dressmaker if they have a sturdy dressbox with a carry handle or a very sturdy dress bag. If you tell them what you are doing, I am sure they will oblige you!

You will have a marvelous time!

Go and enjoy!

This is a more formal ship. Dress to the nines! We do and you will find the majority will be in tuxes. And it's still not too late probably to order one less tux for the wedding and buy yours. Of course a lot of places, the grooms tux is free with so many rentals.

Have a great time and congratulations!

Karie,

who will be out on deck 13 (the raised spot in the center) leaving New York in the dark on Halloween, even if it snows! We were out in the ice and wind on January 3rd last year! And we loved it!

Hi Huoat,

Everyone has already told you all you need to know. So now, please tell me--what do you mean by food with intention? I'm intrigued and would love to know what your ideas are.

And happy wedding! Congratulations and all the best wishes.

By the way- As you will learn on your very first night! Don't ever call it a BOAT! It is a SHIP! captains seem to get testy over this, as if you are referring to their pride and joy as something akin to a tug or a toy boat! <G>

And to the rear is aft, the front is the bow, port is left (port and left both have four letters) and right is starboard.

but you'll hear this in the welcome aboard talks!

Trust me, we've all gone through it! Many of us mega-multiple times!

The food is grand, don't worry about the table, half the fun is meeting people. Dinner is a perfect way to do that. In Britannia, for breakfast and lunch, you are asked if you want a table for two. The wine list is pretty good, though I am not a wine drinker.

And if your docs say table for four or anything other than two, call your agent today (or Cunard.) and tell them to specify a table for two if you really want it. But like others, I recommend you take 6! Much better that way! Save the honeymoon for in the room later! <G>

Karie,

who LOVEs larger tables!

And knows her fore from her aft from her half-aft!

We've signed up for a table of eight for our upcoming honeymoon next April.

Congratulations! D. and I wish you a wonderful wedding, a marvelous honeymoon on the QM2 (where else than on a Cunard liner) and a happy life together.

Congratulations! D. and I wish you a wonderful wedding, a marvelous honeymoon on the QM2 (where else than on a Cunard liner) and a happy life together.

Thanks very much Carlmm. Actually, we're getting married and honeymooning on Holland America Line's ms Noordam. We would have loved it to have been aboard the QM2, but, sadly Cunard does not handle events like this.

We certainly look forward to sailing with you aboard the QM2 in the near future.

Regards,

Jonathan

Hi,

"what is the best way of dealing with my dress? Do I carry it on"

Message from my wife:- No way! that's what your (future) husband's for.

But in essence, yes. Strong garment bag and don't let it out of your sight.

Have they started putting table allocations in the documentation? Don't remember seeing it before. If you don't have, or can't get a table for two (and let's face it, if everyone on board wants a table for two it just ain't gonna happen) then I second the other suggestions of the bigger the better. We've had a 2, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10's. With a four, you may not hit it off with the other couple; with a six you may(as happened to us once) be with two couples travelling together and feel like you're intruding. Anything above that and you're almost guaranteed to get on with someone.

Have a great time, and congratulations.

Regards, Colin.

Archived