Getting on the Ship

wcdive

My hubby and I will be cruising for the first time on the Valor on Aug 5th out of Miami. What is it like getting onto the ship? Is it just a long line that takes a while or are there lots of ups and downs (like stairs and escalators)? Thanks!

Never sailed from Miami but from the port I've sailed from there has been two levels. The main one where you enter then go up escalators to the check in area and wait to board the ship. Don't worry it usually goes smoothly.

So, just one set of escalators to deal with? I want to try to carry on our own luggage because we will have our dive gear with us and I am a bit nervous with it being our first cruise. We will have 3 large-ish rolling duffels plus one small over the shoulder duffel for toiletries and such. They all fit into Carnival's size limit for carry-ons I found on their website.:o

We recently sailed out of Miami on the Triumph and the process was waiting in the main terminal to check in which took a little longer then our past experiences. Then after checking in there they gave us a a receipt (I think) but any way we went up the escalator were we had to wait again to get our sail and sign card. This was faster line but we still waited at least fifteen minutes. This was the first time that we had to get in another line to get our sail and sign card.

When I went out of Miami this past December you went up, just once, getting to the ship entry level. You had a choice of an escalator or the elevator. Not a bunch of up and downs...

Let us know how the diving is. We're leaving on Aug. 25 and love diving. Plan on doing it at Grand Turk and St. Thomas.

Consider getting to the port early, like 10:30. They'll usually start processing new passengers as soon as debarkation is complete. You'll be one of the first onto the ship, and will probably spend less total time standing in line.

Also consider checking as much baggage as possible, and only carry on what you'll need for the afternoon (and valuables, of course). Why lug all those bags around?

I would call Carnival about how much carry-on you can actually bring. The only reason I say that is because when DH and I were waiting to start the Celebration embarkation process in Jacksonville in May, we happened to notice a container with a sign saying that was the size carry-on bag you could bring on. It looked to be the size of a typical carry-on bag you would bring on an airplane, so not very large. We didn't have any carry-on luggage so we weren't concerned. If you don't contact Carnival to find out if there are carry-on restrictions, the worst that could happen is you would just have to check your luggage if it doesn't conform to the size requirements for carry-on. It's been our experience that the cabins are ready at 1:30pm.

Carnival - 1995, 1998, 2006, 2006, 2007, 2007, 2008

Holland America - 2004, 2006

NCL - 1994, 1996, 1997, 2003

Royal Caribbean - 2002

In Miami, you will use 3 escaltors; 1-after you check-in, 2-after receiving your sign & sail card, and 3-just before you enter the "foryer" leading to the gangway. There are elevators, but I do not know if they are open to anyone except HC cruisers. As has been suggested, get there at 10:30 and perhaps the line will be shorter. We arrived at about 11:15 and the entire boarding process took close to 1 1/2 hours. When we arrived, the line extended outside the terminal and snaked back and forth to the check-in desk.

I don't think your dive gear will be handled any rougher than at the airport(s) and it could be a major PITA shuffling it through the boarding lines.

When you disembark you will follow the reverse route. If you self-disembark expect crushing crowds around the elevators and stop and go until feet before actually leaving the ship. From the ship to the baggage claim, inspection area you can walk at your own pace.

In Miami, you will use 3 escaltors; 1-after you check-in, 2-after receiving your sign & sail card, and 3-just before you enter the "foryer" leading to the gangway. There are elevators, but I do not know if they are open to anyone except HC cruisers. As has been suggested, get there at 10:30 and perhaps the line will be shorter. We arrived at about 11:15 and the entire boarding process took close to 1 1/2 hours. When we arrived, the line extended outside the terminal and snaked back and forth to the check-in desk.

Agreed, there are at least 3 escalators and a fair amount of walking involved, including several switch-backs. There's a moving sidewalk at one point, but I don't think it was working when I was there. There are elevators, but those are reserved for handicapped persons, I believe. If the bags will be difficult to manage, I would leave it with the porters.

We got there around 2 and had virtually no-wait and our room was ready upon arrival. So, arriving later is an option too if you don't want lines.

You might also want to consider that your room might not be ready when you get on the ship. I'm not sure what time rooms are typically ready on Carnival.

Also

If you are able to get to your cabin you may not be able to close your door as the room stewards leave them all open while cleaning and preparing them.

So it may not be a good idea to lug it all with you.

When we read the carryon baggage restrictions for Carnival we were a bit confused. Tell me what you think?

"Since the delivery of checked bags may take some time to reach your stateroom, you may elect to bring your own bags on board if they do not exceed 24''w x 16''h (there is no restriction on the length of the bag)."

No restriction on the length? So we arrive at the terminal and they tell us that the carryons have to fit in that little metal Sizewise box like at the airports, to be a carryon. I said I thought that there was no restriction on length? Carnival reps told me there was..so mmm..

I guess I would make sure all your carryons were airport guidelines for carryons. :)

LOL Ashleezmom! The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing -- what a surprise!

But like I said above, why drag all those bags around? Check the darn things and get onto the ship as lightly as possible. All you really need for the afternoon is a book, a bathing suit, and some sunblock! :cool:

hookedoncruisn'2 - We are diving out of Grand Cayman, Belize, Roatan, and Costa Maya, not your same stops but I will post what it is like to dive from the ship - any diving is good diving!!

On Carnival's website it says the carry-ons must be not more than 24" wide x 16" tall with no limit on length, and I called several times and spoke to different people at Carnival who all said the same thing, so we'll see.... I'm not usually a paranoid person, but our combined dive gear is worth upwards of six grand and it would pretty much ruin our trip if it were lost, left behind, or stolen since our trip is mainly for diving. Plus, our gear bags are see-thru and I don't want to go out and buy luggage-type dive bags at $250 each just because I am too lazy to lug it myself.

I have decided to carry on our stuff unless they force us to check it - thank you all for your info. I may find it a complete PITA, but then I'll know for next time.

Thanks again for the info!!:cool:

In Miami, disembark expect crushing crowds around the elevators and stop and go until feet before actually leaving the ship. From the ship to the baggage claim, inspection area you can walk at your own pace.

Traveling Fools, please excuse this totally off topic question! But I recogonize your avatar as the 11th AC . . . Did you serve "across the pond"?

A

If you are able to get to your cabin you may not be able to close your door as the room stewards leave them all open while cleaning and preparing them.

I agree that it might not be a good idea to leave it in the cabin if you can even get to the cabin as they are left open during the cleaning process. You might want to consider boarding later in the day after 1:30 - 2:00 when the rooms would probably be ready and you can go straight there and lock everything up properly.

The time to get on depends on what time you arrive. On my last cruise (Valor Feb 25, 2007) our flights were very late and we boarded at 2pm. We were probably the last to board.... so it went very fast.

I usually like to arrive in town the day before and board at noon the day of. Longer to board (45 mins, and slow lines), AND your room wont be ready, so you will be sitting around until 1:30ish.

Archived