Good things to buy

avidreader

I keep hearing dont forget your shampoo, sunblock, over the counter meds, etc because they cost so much on the ship.

My question is with duty free what is a great purchase on board the ncl ships.;)

Can anyone tell me what their best buys were?

My first cruise so I cannot contribute anything to start it off.

As a single male, usually cruising alone, I can't help too much, but there was a ten dollar sale in which everything in the whole gift shop on various tables was ten bucks, including a good digital watch. Sadly, it was not as water resistant as one was led to believe, but other than that...........

If you are into high watches, the pricing is good. But they will run around 250 and up. Other thatn that Booze is your best bet. Even Perfume is not the best deal unless you are after some off the wall, discontinued brand.:)

As previously stated, cigarettes, liquor and jewelry are good buys. Toward the end of the voyage the prices start dropping and the last day of the cruise, the sale tables come out. There's a 10 dollar (and upward) table with miscellaneous costume jewelry, souveniers and scarves. In addition, some of the finer jewelry was onsale too - I snagged two sterling silver bracelets with blue topaz for half price (got one for $75 and the other for $50). Also, the shore excursion desk and souvenier shop will start selling off their NCL gear that day, so be sure to visit both for some great "buy 2 get one free" deals on t-shirts and Dive In program gear. (TIP: Visit the souvenier shop the night before when they begin assembling the sale table. You will be sure to find just what size and style you may need before the crowds).

Also, the souvenier shop has chains on spools selling for $1 per inch. The gold is 18k layered; not sure about the silver ones. This was a great opportunity to make a nice gold anklet to replace my lost one for not a lot of money.

I will just add, I think cigarettes and liquor plus the $10 tables are the only good buys. I disagree about jewelry. I would check at home and the duty free shops in port before purchasing on ship.

The most fun thing, $10 to $12 watches. They last about a year or so and are so worth buying a few. In fact when mine die I know it is way past time for another cruise.

Nita

My personal opinion is that the "sale tables" and "everything must go" as the cruise nears its end are a scam. Remember, 2,000+ customers will be boarding the ship next week, so it's not like the actually need to get rid of the stuff.

With that said, we got a real good deal on a discontinued Lladro aboard an RCI ship. We bought it as a souvenir; however, I later found that it was a discontinued figurine and would have cost about 50% more elsewhere.

The $10 table was a godsend when I realized "Oh spit, I haven't gotten anybody back home a present!". Of course, you might want to make sure you snip off the "made in China" tags when you try and pass an item off as a special souvenir from Alaska....;)

And be careful to not get caught up in the bargain frenzy as folks mob the tables. Amongst the really neat cheap goodies (including some lovely scarves) were some WHAT WAS I THINKING??? items (which I'll not be identifying here since they're waiting to be gifted to some lucky souls).

Thats funny about gifting to people those what was i thinking things. I just did the same with a bathing suit i bought because in the store the skirt really covered my thighs well.

Got it home and looked like i gained 20 years.:eek: lol. My 70 year old mother loved it though.

Okay so i guess its liquor, cigs, and maybe a find on the clearance table.

unless someone comes up with anything else.

Thanks for sharing

My personal opinion is that the "sale tables" and "everything must go" as the cruise nears its end are a scam. Remember, 2,000+ customers will be boarding the ship next week, so it's not like the actually need to get rid of the stuff.

With that said, we got a real good deal on a discontinued Lladro aboard an RCI ship. We bought it as a souvenir; however, I later found that it was a discontinued figurine and would have cost about 50% more elsewhere.

wow, a discontinued Lladro: any discount is worth it. I love them. When we moved from Texas to NM our moving van was stolen with alll 43 years of marriage including about 15 Lladros. I havae never felt I could replace them

Nita

I bought Absolute vodka for 2 liters/$20. You can take 2 per person without paying duty. Lots of good deals on liquor.

I think most cruise ships are the same when I say this: Usually something will be on sale every day. One day it might be watches, the next their jade jewelry, the next their pure silver, maybe sunglasses, etc. If you can find out when those sales are it might save you a few bucks.

They usually have the little animals that look like folded towels. Those are good. I think they are about $10 ea.

They usually have charms for charm bracelets if you are in to collecting those.

And I agree with all the $10 watches. It's fun to look through them all.

My only advice is if you see something you really want (maybe something a little more expensive than the $10 watches) then wait until the end of the cruise. Odds are that thing might just go on sale.

wow, a discontinued Lladro: any discount is worth it. I love them. When we moved from Texas to NM our moving van was stolen with alll 43 years of marriage including about 15 Lladros. I havae never felt I could replace them

Nita

At the time, I didn't realize it was discontinued. We were simply looking for a keepsake souvenir and this one was a small dog with something nautical about it. My wife's a dog lover, so it seemed like a deal for the price. I only happened to find out that it was discontinued when I went looking online afterwards as RCI at the time had a price match guarantee. I wasn't looking for a bargain, just a keepsake, but I ended up with a bargain just the same.

Sorry to hear about your moving van. It's hard to lose those things that remind us of so much.

As for other bargains, I have found liquor to be a good deal. We bought two bottles of rum on our 2001 cruise, and since we're not big drinkers I still have one of them. Cigarettes can be a bargain also if you smoke. However, I don't and you're limited to how much you can bring back. My mother, a previous smoker, did save a bundle on cigarettes on her only cruise.

Well, I agree that most of the junk on the $10 table caters to impulse shopping, so it's not like you can't get this stuff on any street in NYC. We got a great souvenier for my daughters friend that cost $25, and because we had no time to shop in Nassau, it came in handy. However, I and a few others did get some good bargains on the finer jewelry as well as the NCL items so that was my souvenier to myself. It's all common sense - just like any major department store sale - it caters to the customers urge to land a bargain. Everyone knows they mark up and then drop the price. Everyone also knows they really don't need to get rid of it - but who cares if the price is right? It's not like NCL is scamming anyone or "trying to get over" by doing it. It's just part of the fun!

with todays airline security check, how do you get your liquor home when flying???? You cannot bring it on as carryon.....and to pack it in your suitcase......so many of todays luggage is the cloth type, it could get broken very easy......any suggestions.............

jus me' jim.....the velvet teddy bear :cool:

When you buy alchohol in the duty free shops onboard, they package it up for you in a box designed to pack into your luggage that you check in.

Don't forget to save room in your luggage. The boxes are fairly big. I just packed mine in amongst all my clothes. Not a problem.

So, I take two loosely packed suitcases.

When I come home, I have dirty clothes in one and my other nondirty clothes packed around my duty free alchohol boxes.

Happy sailing!

with todays airline security check, how do you get your liquor home when flying???? You cannot bring it on as carryon.....and to pack it in your suitcase......so many of todays luggage is the cloth type, it could get broken very easy......any suggestions.............

jus me' jim.....the velvet teddy bear :cool:

Pack it very carefully in your luggage using a plastic bag and make certain the suitcase is very full and well padded. We have been doing this for years. We make sure any booze is surrounded by clothes so it won't get banged or moved in any way so far, so good or better yet, our next cruise, some of our group will be driving. They get to bring back our treasures. LOl

Nita

When you buy alchohol in the duty free shops onboard, they package it up for you in a box designed to pack into your luggage that you check in.

Don't forget to save room in your luggage. The boxes are fairly big. I just packed mine in amongst all my clothes. Not a problem.

So, I take two loosely packed suitcases.

When I come home, I have dirty clothes in one and my other nondirty clothes packed around my duty free alchohol boxes.

Happy sailing!

eXactly!!!!

On board the ships, there are few bargains. The audience is captive, and sometimes on sea days shopping is a must-do activity, so there is little incentive for sales. If they do drop prices, it will be toward the end of the cruise.

I did see some cheap watches and pens, etc. that would make nice gifts, but they really were pretty cheap construction.

We usually get some t-shirts and maybe some liquor, although there are sometimes better deals on land.

It amazes me that they actually sell some food items onboard, like chips and candy. As if continuous food all day long is not enough...

It amazes me that they actually sell some food items onboard, like chips and candy. As if continuous food all day long is not enough...

I've always been amazed by this as well. If you really need a snack fix that isn't offered on board, buy it at a port for half the cost.

Archived