What to pack- clothes?

Hi there- I am leaving for my first cruise in less than a week. I have been on these boards since winter but now is when it comes time to pack I need someone to tell me how it is.

My question: Clothes....what type? How much?

This is what I am thinking:

sea days= swimsuit, shorts, coverup, tank

formal dining= cocktail dress

other dining nights-??? I need help here? Skirt, capris? What do I wear?

days of ship= swim suit under shorts, tank

bars, shows, clubs= cute top, jeans

Please let me know if I am way off or if I am thinking the right thing.Do I need more dressy stuff? Capris? I have many cruise packing lists from this site that seem to be helpful, so I do not need those. I need people that have been on a Carinval cruise to tell me what they think. I will be on Glory. I always over pack for vacations and I do not want to do that on this cruise. We are driving down and I would like to conserve as much room as I can.

Thank you!!!!!

Hey there..I will try to help you based off what DW packs on our seven nighters. She packs two cocktail/formal dresses that she can wear to the formal dining and the captains/past guest cocktail parties. On the other nights in the dining room, she will wear either just an informal dress...some capris (some may not think Capris are appropriate, but if they are Khaki and dark then I think they are fine)..or just slacks and a nice shirt/blouse. For the shows and stuff..she wears shorts....Pretty much if we are ON the ship and NOT in the dining room..we are wearing TShirts and shorts...So two formals, 3 or 4 combos for the other dining nights..and maybe a pair of nice jeans....and you should be Good To Go.

You're right about the mode of dress. I wear nicer dresses on non formal nights because I like to dress up, but sun dresses skirts, even capris will suffice. I always pack according to a plan. I figure out what I will wear daily so I never overpack (I've never been on a cruise with more than a carryon). I bring one dressy sandal, one casual sandal & Reebocks for the gym & walking in port. Denim skirts are good - I usually wear one on embarkation day & then again on debarkation day. I always plan on a change for dinner. Hope this helps a little.

Hi there- I am leaving for my first cruise in less than a week. I have been on these boards since winter but now is when it comes time to pack I need someone to tell me how it is.

Please let me know if I am way off or if I am thinking the right thing.Do I need more dressy stuff? Capris? I have many cruise packing lists from this site that seem to be helpful, so I do not need those. I need people that have been on a Carinval cruise to tell me what they think. I will be on Glory. I always over pack for vacations and I do not want to do that on this cruise. We are driving down and I would like to conserve as much room as I can.

Thank you!!!!!

All of your items sound fine. Just know that you can alternate some tops with capris, pants, shorts and skirts, so that you dont have to carry 7 different shirts and bottoms. I have a website that I can refer you to that tells you what to pack and it has a list of outfit combinations to put together so you can look good but dont have to carry a lot clothes. Im going to try to put the link in this email but if it doesnt come out right you can email me at brownsugar_babe7@hotmail. http://www.***************/

You mentioned you will be on the Glory. I wanted to mention that the Amber Palace can get very cold. make sure you have something with long sleeves or something you can throw over you during the shows if it's cold. I ended up leaving a show because is was freezing in there. Otherwise, have a ball! It's a great ship, you'll have a blast!

What's are the threads on capris about?

everyone tends to disagree on what should be worn in the formal dining room......basically what clothes are to casual.....then everybody carries on for days about that instead of really helping the poster about their original question

When you get done packing empty half of your suitcase as you will never wear as much as you bring!:D

And for the dinning room question. Do NOT wear what you would wear to McDonald's but do wear what you would to a restaurant that is right under a very classy restaurant.

I would wear capri's with a nice blouse and of course cocktail dress for the formal nights. By all means wear a sun dress for the non formal nights too. Just no shorts or Jeans. Unless of course it is the first night of the cruise and you have not gotten your luggage yet. I always wear nice shorts when boarding so it that happens I feel comfortable in the dining room.

I totally agree. I have been on 7 or 8 cruises and have never even taken at least half of what was packed out of the closet or drawer in the cabin. Read someplace to pack half as much clothes and take twice as much money. :)

When you get done packing empty half of your suitcase as you will never wear as much as you bring!:D

And for the dinning room question. Do NOT wear what you would wear to McDonald's but do wear what you would to a restaurant that is right under a very classy restaurant.

I would wear capri's with a nice blouse and of course cocktail dress for the formal nights. By all means wear a sun dress for the non formal nights too. Just no shorts or Jeans. Unless of course it is the first night of the cruise and you have not gotten your luggage yet. I always wear nice shorts when boarding so it that happens I feel comfortable in the dining room.

Formal nights-people wore long or short dresses that were a bit nicer. I had a long black pants that looked like a skirt with a nice blouse.

Casual nights--I wore a skirt and top, simple dress or capris with a nice top. Each night I wore scandels. I set up outfits so I could interchange tops.

Definitely take a sweater or a cover up of some sort. I used a blace blazer and a demin shirt for most nights. Make sure to carry something with you to the dining room and the Amber palace.

Thank you!!!!!

Sounds like you know what you are doing. You can also wear what you have down for the bars/shows/clubs to dinner on casual night.

Have a great cruise!

I know there are many mixed reviews on this topic but I will pipe in with my thoughts. Personally I wear capris to the dining room. I pair them up with nice heels or dressy sandals and a cute top. I don't wear them with flip flops, sneakers, crocs, etc in the dining room. I think that it's all in the presentation. The same with jeans. I probably won't wear jeans in the dining room but that's only because I am not a big jeans person. My hubby HATES dressing up. He will probably wear jeans and nice collared shirts to dinner everynight (except for formal nights) and that will have to suffice.

As for shows and stuff...bring a sweater or something to keep warm in. You will only need it for the first few glasses of wine :p and then you can take it off. It gets quite chilly in the public areas (probably to kill any germs).

I always overpack. We will be on the same sailing as you. What room number are you in? We will probably tip the boat with our luggage.

everyone tends to disagree on what should be worn in the formal dining room......basically what clothes are to casual.....then everybody carries on for days about that instead of really helping the poster about their original question

Oh ok, I get it.

I never understood the thrill of having to bring dress clothes & getting dressed up for a cruise dinner. Maybe I am weird, but I am on vacation & do NOT enjoy dressing up. I do it enough the rest of the year.

IMHO, I don't think it should be an issue either way. Let each do their own thing at their own comfort level. Some cruises have done away with the formal dress thing already, so someone out there agrees with me.

Just my 2 cents. I just want to have a good time.

For those of you who dont like to dress up, you can always eat at the buffet with your clogs, daisy dukes and your pants/shorts below your derriere.

For those of use who like to dress up, look and smell good, we will continue going to the dining room for a nice meal and a more mature and pleasant atmosphere.

I know there are many mixed reviews on this topic but I will pipe in with my thoughts. Personally I wear capris to the dining room. I pair them up with nice heels or dressy sandals and a cute top. I don't wear them with flip flops, sneakers, crocs, etc in the dining room. I think that it's all in the presentation. The same with jeans. I probably won't wear jeans in the dining room but that's only because I am not a big jeans person. My hubby HATES dressing up. He will probably wear jeans and nice collared shirts to dinner everynight (except for formal nights) and that will have to suffice.

As for shows and stuff...bring a sweater or something to keep warm in. You will only need it for the first few glasses of wine :p and then you can take it off. It gets quite chilly in the public areas (probably to kill any germs).

I always overpack. We will be on the same sailing as you. What room number are you in? We will probably tip the boat with our luggage.

Thanks for your comments and help! We will be on the Riviera deck, room 1215. How about you? are you getting crazy excited? It is so hot here in wisconsin, we are looking forward to the heat on the cruise but being able to cool off when we want and have air conditioning.....See you in a week!

I appreciate your helpful responses. A lot to think about when packing!!!!!

I am probably going to do dresses most nights for dinner but bring black carpis in case I feel like going that route. I have a nice jacket/wrap to wear with most of my dresses, it is black. I am glad to hear that most of you ladies wear sandals with heals to dinner because that was my plan. I have nylons with to wear on formal nights with my fancy shoes if necessary.

Thanks again!!!! Now it's time to get packing!

We are going to be in room 1005 on the Panorama (sp?) deck. When we booked we had a best available upgrade deal so we lucked out.

What dinner did you choose? We picked early because of my dd coming with us. We will have to meet up at some point. I feel like I know you already.

I must be the only one who thought I didn't pack enough! I found that I needed to change like 3 times a day! I'd start the day in casual clothes to go to the beach/pool/excusions. Then come back and have a shower and change again into clean casual clothes. Then I'd change for dinner and the maybe change into comfortable casual clothes after dinner! I found that I ran out of tops!

I also wore black dressy capris to dinner paired with a nice dressy tops. Capris are my alternative to a skirt.

And let's not discuss how many pairs of shoes I bought with me... :eek:

I must be the only one who thought I didn't pack enough! I found that I needed to change like 3 times a day! I'd start the day in casual clothes to go to the beach/pool/excusions. Then come back and have a shower and change again into clean casual clothes. Then I'd change for dinner and the maybe change into comfortable casual clothes after dinner! I found that I ran out of tops!

I also wore black dressy capris to dinner paired with a nice dressy tops. Capris are my alternative to a skirt.

And let's not discuss how many pairs of shoes I bought with me... :eek:

PirateGal- Thank you for your honesty! That is how I was thinking when I started to lay out clothes, hence the post!

I hear you about the shoes too. I have 4 pair out just for dinner/dressy outfits. Some could double for late evening events.

I am going to take all advice into consideration and pack later this weekend.

Archived