ATN - Coach and Business

After traveling in coach from LAX to PPT we were very motivated to score some business class seats on the way home. First, we had missed the last business seats by ten minutes on the way down. Second, we were in the center section, last row on the way back. Oh yeah, we were really motivated.

Now, I will say that even coach in a normal seat on the way down was not horrid - for little people or those who can sleep anywhere. Since I'm a whopping 30/30, it was a bit snug. But the entertainment was good and the food was decent. The chicken pot pie even seemed to be gluten-free and was delicious.

Ah - but business class - sheer heaven. And it wasn't just onboard. Once we got those tickets and went to Air Tahiti and paid for them, we were given a pass to enter thru the tikis upstairs into the air conditioned room where the soup, sandwiches, fruits, waters, mixed drinks and sodas were free and indulged in big cushy chairs, waited on by charming attendants.

Others may have had to start loading early, we got to wait until our hostess received a call that our private covered walkway was ready - oh, the good life.

Then we saw our seats and our jaws had to be held firmly in place. Sure those six folks in first could lay full out, but the 24 of us in coach weren't crowded with our 150 degree stretch out. Food was okay, but not enough difference - it was the seat. My hubby had the most beatific smile on his face.... and that was at the end of the trip.

On our flight they had a grand total of - TWO, count 'em, two - upgrade seats available. We were smiling, but the folks behind us in line, not so much. Were we silly leaving our nice day room an hour before the bus? About 10 minutes into the flight we didn't think so.

Good to hear a nice report. My husband is in First and I am in Business on ATN in 1 week (tickets bought with FF miles and only 1 F seat available--so good to hear I will be well taken care of)

If you think business is nice, you oughta try first! We flew biz outbound and first on the return so we could "sample" each class. My only complaint was that it was an overnight flight and I couldn't stay awake to fully indulge in the top-notch service and excellent food. (Yes, the food and wines in first are "upgraded" from biz.) One flight attendant who dotes on just 6 of you. And your own lavatory - which I might add is HUGE - at least 3 times the size of a standard airplane lavatory.

It was the first time I could ever say that I did NOT want the flight to be over with! :)

Good to hear a nice report. My husband is in First and I am in Business on ATN in 1 week (tickets bought with FF miles and only 1 F seat available--so good to hear I will be well taken care of)

Hope you and your hubby are trading on the way back. Seems like the only thing better than having 1st class on the down is having it on the way back.;)

Glad to hear that ATN has upgraded its service. We flew it coach several years ago, and it was quite an experience. They hung bassinetts above our heads for infants....not necessarily over their parents, but wherever there was a place to hook it up. Some poor folks had to tolerate parents leaning over them to change diapers, etc. Then there was the lady who spilled her water on her pants, and stood up, took them off, spread them over the back of her seat and enjoyed the rest of the trip in her underpants. Yes, it was my most interesting flight ever.

As I recall, it was the night that the OJ Simpson verdict came in, and we were well in the air before hubby remembered that my new chef's knife was still tucked in his camera bag where he put it while we were shopping. That it passed security screening was really scarey with some of the characters onboard!!!

Travel is fun.

JoAnne B.

Cruznut1111, I am thinking my husband better give me that 1st class seat one way or the other. Just doesn't seem fair otherwise, esp since I am the person who keeps track of all the FF miles and how to maximize them. Question is do I want it going (being awake most of the flight) or returning (at night so mostly asleep).

Rachel, I vote you do first on the outbound! Complete pampering while you are awake! Although, there is something to be said about having the full 180-degree recline in first for sleeping on the way back. Regardless, I envy you with this dilemma! ;)

Archived