Any good snorkeling along Majahual?

dustyspal

Looking for some snorkeling in Costa Maya. I'm kind of turned off with the long bus ride to Uvero Beach. Don't want to have to stay with a large group with the boat excursions. Just want to be able to snorkel as I please, relax by the beach, maybe do some shopping, and return to the ship in time. I saw many posts about beaches in the Majuahual area - like "Cat's Meow, Tequila Beach, Pez Quadro" . Are there any good ones for snorkeling?

I read that you take a "van" taxi there and get a taxi back for about $3.

How does the rest of it work? I saw many are drinks-inclusive. I am not a drinker. Any help would be great. Thanks

I'm wondering the same thing. We are not drinkers, will probably have a margarita or 2, but that's it. We have 7 and 5 year old who will want to explore the beach, look for shells, etc. We have excursions booked on boht our other stops, but not Costa Maya. Will they be able to snorkle along the shore, and not out with a boat? Is the water blue and clear, or is that only far out on a boat near a reef? Looking forward to the massages, coconut shrimp and just sightseeing, but of course, the little ones are going to want to be in the water, and hopefully see fish. Any ideas?

Looking for some snorkeling in Costa Maya. I'm kind of turned off with the long bus ride to Uvero Beach. Don't want to have to stay with a large group with the boat excursions. Just want to be able to snorkel as I please, relax by the beach, maybe do some shopping, and return to the ship in time. I saw many posts about beaches in the Majuahual area - like "Cat's Meow, Tequila Beach, Pez Quadro" . Are there any good ones for snorkeling?

How does the rest of it work? I saw many are drinks-inclusive. I am not a drinker. Any help would be great. Thanks

Hello dusty,

we did not snorkel at the Majahual (not sure about correct sp) beach but I have seen others do it. There is a reef on one side about 200 yards away in front of the beach so the beach area is protected, water is clear and shallow (for about 150 -250 feet front) in that area, I do not know but I am guessing there should be something to see in the reef area - water is a lot deeper there.

There were people asking us if we wanted to go snorkling - they were taking people on a boat - not sure how far .

As far as getting there ( to Majahual) from the port.

The port is secured area and taxis are not allowed to have a taxi stand in there. They (port owners) use a bus at 3dol pp to take 'you' to the village - short distance maybe 1 to 2 miles at the most.

You may also walked out of the port area and go to the taxi stand ( about 200 /300 ft down the street) and take a taxi to whereever you want to go. They charge 2 dol pp to go to Majahual village. Most taxis are small and take only 4 people but there are also some larger ones - 7 people.

You can also split your party - we had 5, so 2 went in one taxi and 3 in another, coming back ( also 2dol pp) we came in one larger taxi.

There is a number of bars / restaurants in that small village all facing the beach area, they are nothing fancy, they have tables, chairs, umbrellas all set up right in the sandy area, close to the water. The whole street is maybe a 1/2 mile long. There are some small stores. There are many 'stations' to get a massage ( have no idea about the training or qualifications of the people doing them) at $20 per 45 min ( some do 60 min). Wife and DIL were very happy with the massage.

If you are not a 'drinker' ( neither am I) water, coke or whatever can be purchased - mostly 2 dol per bottle / can.

Enjoy your trip.

look at some of the pictures that other posters provided on other threads, poster suzski got some nice pictures of that area, here is a link to that thread , look at number 17.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=594649

Wes

Stay in your taxi till you get to the far side of town. Get out somewhere near the Blue Iguana Bar. You can take boats out to the barrier reef for about $20.00.

If you're a decent swimmer you can easily make the barrier reef about 150 yards from shore. The barrier reef has water 10 to 30 feet deep. Lots of fish and very healthy coral. The health of the coral won't last with the developement of the area; too many people, wave runners, etc.

It's the best snorkeling I've seen, and I've snorkeled many times in Coz and Grand Cayman (over rated).

Hockeyboy,

we are scheduled to snorkel with Blue ocean safari, Where is the Blue Iguana (where we meet) in relation to Cat's Meow on one end to Pez Quadro on the other? Is it much farther past Pez Quadro? Is it in Majahual or Xcalak Village?

Thanks if you can clear that up for me. Not finding that particular spot on any of the maps I've looked at.

We went on a snorkling excursion to snorkel the reef, they took us about a 30 min boat ride from the beach (Pez Quadro) with about 25 people, water was beautiful but the snorkling was not all that and they did not let us go out on our own it was a kind of guided snorkel tour and we didnt see all that much. Water was pretty rough out on the water trying to snorkel with waves going over my head was alittle tough at times. Beach was nice and shallow but filled with sea weed until you get out alittle further.

Hockeyboy,

we are scheduled to snorkel with Blue ocean safari, Where is the Blue Iguana (where we meet) in relation to Cat's Meow on one end to Pez Quadro on the other? Is it much farther past Pez Quadro? Is it in Majahual or Xcalak Village?

Thanks if you can clear that up for me. Not finding that particular spot on any of the maps I've looked at.

Hi AG

My brother and son did a dive with Blue Ocean Safari. The Blue Iguana is about 1/2 mile beyond the end of town, past Pez Quadro. We walked it, not knowing how far it actually was, but you can get either the bus from the port or a taxi to take you down there. There are a few other bars/restaurants down there and less crowded beaches. Blue Ocean did a nice job with their dive.

I did see a map of Mahahual / Majahual ( not sure what is proper - I have seen both names) that gives some locations of some of the bars / restaurants, it might be of some interst to some. In my estimation from Cats Meow to Pez Quadro is probably less than 1/2 of a mile.

Here is the link: (both of the same map)

http://www.thenativechoice.com/maps.php

http://www.chacchobenruins.com/uploads/Majamap.GIF

Wes

I too went with BOS. We went out to two different spots on the barrier reef. We really enjoyed the snorkeling.

Here's a good plan for your day:

Snorkel with BOS.

Have lunch and a beer (margarita) at the blue Iguana.

Swim back out to the snorkel spots that BOS showed you.

Then take a nap in one of the hammocks, try not to miss your ship.

Mike

PS. Say hi to Julie for me.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Julie did answer and say they were 1 km from The Cat's Meow.

We booked the private snorkel with them and hopefully the water/weather conditions will be good. Snorkeling can be so different same place with different conditons. Last time we were in Belize, a storm had come through and stirred things up and you couldn't see your hand in front of your face, much less fish/coral...Hoping we have better luck this year there.

Thanks again everyone! These boards are great!!!

Archived