Advice about Butchart Gardens Please

Gray line is the only company that goes to the gardens. The tours leave from in front of the Empress Hotel,(every 2hrs in october) the tour is 3hrs long or longer if you wish to stay out at the gardens and take a later tour bus back. The cost is about $59.00 and that includes your entry to the gardens.The shuttle is also provided by Gray line and it leaves from the bus depot. The cost is $39.00 and in october it leaves every hour. Gray line also does the tours of the ship, same tour as you would get from in front of the Empress. Most ships are only in Victoria for 5-6 hours so it makes it tight to get downtown catch a bus and get to and from the gardens in time.(that is why I would recomend booking on the ship) Now if you are in Victoria for longer you really don't have to book on the ship. Hope this helps.

Gray line is the only company that goes to the gardens. The tours leave from in front of the Empress Hotel,(every 2hrs in october) the tour is 3hrs long or longer if you wish to stay out at the gardens and take a later tour bus back. The cost is about $59.00 and that includes your entry to the gardens.The shuttle is also provided by Gray line and it leaves from the bus depot. The cost is $39.00 and in october it leaves every hour. Gray line also does the tours of the ship, same tour as you would get from in front of the Empress. Most ships are only in Victoria for 5-6 hours so it makes it tight to get downtown catch a bus and get to and from the gardens in time.(that is why I would recomend booking on the ship) Now if you are in Victoria for longer you really don't have to book on the ship. Hope this helps.

Insideedge....I'm a little confused about your post. What is the difference between the $59 and $39 tours? Is the $39 tour just for transportation? I had read previously that you can take a Grayline shuttle to the gardens for $7 or $8 from behind the Empress. Is this correct?

Also, do you know anything about the schedule for mid September? The Grayline website only lists the tours, and has no info on the shuttle service. Thanks for your help.

The Gardens are beautiful at night. But that being said it makes a better tour if you can see them in the light and the dark. By the time your tour gets out to the gardens it will be about 8:30 or so...the gardens will be dark and you will have no chance to see them in the light. Most people enjoy the tour but.......are dissapointed they could not see them in the light. The gardens are not lit up with stadium lighting....they are coloured lights that set a nice mood, but makes flower viewing almost impossable. I would recomend a different tour that time of year. Maybe a city tour or the Empress Tea, those are not spoiled by the lack of light.

One option is a narrated tour(59.00) the other is the shuttle transport only (39.00). Both include the 25.00 admin. In Sept the shuttle runs about every hour.Hope that helps.

Thanks again, insideedge! I really do appreciate your help. Now I see that the $39 trip involves round trip transportation which comes to $7 each way.

I have one more question. Our ship will be in Victoria from 8am to 5pm on a Sunday in September. We would like to also use public transportation to go to Craigdarroch Castle before we go to the Gardens. Do you know anything about the Sunday schedule, or where we would catch the bus for this? I assume that we would do round trip from somewhere around the Empress so that we could catch the Butchart shuttle-right?

Again, thanks for all your help! It really makes planning a lot easier!

The Butchart Gardens will consume a good part of your day so I would go there first. When the shuttle drops you off at the bus depot walk 4 blocks up Douglas to Fort Street. From there you can catch any transit bus up Fort Street. The castle is about 8 blocks or so up Fort Street. It is walkable if you feelup to it. It takes about an hour or so to go through the caste. Pls. note it is not wheelchair accessable (89 steps to go through the castle) and there is a short hill to climb from where the transit bus drops you off. Hope this helps.

The Gardens are lovely and I have not met many who have not really enjoyed the experience. Several ways to get there, Shore Excursion purchased on the ship is always the easiest way and ensures you get back to the ship prior to sailing. For this benefit you end up paying a bit more.

Taxi services from the pier run $55USD each way plus admissions to the Gardens - Summer Rate at the Gardens was $25. Just ensure that there is a taxi at the Gardens to get you back - not always that easy. Limos are another option, they run about $80 per hour and can give a bit of a Tour.

There is a shuttle bus service operated from the cruise terminal to downtown, they connect with a bus going directly to the Butchart Gardens, it is returns to the ship well prior having to be on board, cost is $40USD and includes the $25 Butcharts Admission.

The weather is normally mild in September and October, but it can rain and will likely be anywhere from 60 - 67 degrees.

• 3 weeks later...

I have visited Butchart Gardens three times, in spring, summer, and winter, day and night, and it has never been disappointing. Do be prepared for a bit of walking, but it can be done slowly, and you do not need to walk all the way down into the former mine area-- there are some nice overlooks, and a lot of beautiful garden areas above. The Rose Garden is my favorite area.

I have also booked tea in the tea room before, and it was quite nice-- a much better experience than at the Empress, IMHO.

I agree that a nighttime-only visit may be a bit disappointing, so just doing a walking tour (or maybe even a horse-drawn carriage ride) around the Inner Harbor in Victoria might be a better choice, given limited evening time.

I haven't decided yet. I definitely want to visit the BC Museum, stop at a few pubs and art studios, and walk around the Inner Harbor in the evening. There is will probably be time mid-day to head out there, especially in time for tea :). It does take a good 4+ hours though, by the time you get out there and come back. I have been the other 3 seasons, so a trip out in the fall would round out my Butchart experience for sure. I am still planning out my Victoria and Nanaimo days, but I would certainly love company.

We can chat over on the roll call if you want:)

I usually do things on my own......I sail solo 99% of the time.

I have never visited Victoria or Naniamo and I know we are in both places

all day.

My one "definite" is to visit the Gardens:D.

Is it October yet?:)

Hi LoisR and Seattle 2000,

We've decided to do our own thing in Victoria (and Nanaimo) as well. The ship excursions just seemed to limiting and depending on weather, we may choose different things. We also want to do the B. Gardens, weather permitting. Our choice for a rainy day would be the C. Castle, so we're keeping it open either way.

Looks like the bus is the best way to get to either site for the least amount of money.

Hey Vicki:) ....we should just have breakfast together

in the Dining room and then walk over to the Empress and take

the bus over to the Gardens together:D might be fun!!!!

Archived