Have you been on the Amadeus Danube cruise? Would love some recommendations

Robyn France

We are booked on the September 3 2008 Danube River cruise on the Amadeus Amacello from Budapest to Prague--14 days. I know the ship is new in 2008 but it is the same as 3 of their other new ships from 2007. Has anyone taken this cruise? I would love to check in on some particulars with anyone who wouldn't mind sharing the experience. There will be 3 of us, our cabins are on the port side about midway on the Violin deck--all very active and interested in a variety of areas. We are particularly interested in knowing about the optional concert in Vienna and if you used the bicycles. We are big travellers but have never done a river cruise. Many thanks--I look forward to your responses.

Robyn France

quote.gif multiquote_off.gif quickreply.gif

Robyn FranceView Public ProfileFind all posts by Robyn FranceAdd Robyn France to Your Buddy List

Robyn, We took the Legendary Danube cruise this June on the new Amalegro and we loved it. We were on the cello deck which was fine but we were on the back of the ship and we experienced vibrations and diesel fumes. We were told if we booked again the first ten cabins on any level are the best. We didn't want the bottom so cello or Violin, Violin being the more expensive a deck higher:rolleyes: than the Cello. We met passengers that were on the bottom and didn't mind it at all.. We spent very little time in the cabins.. I enjoyed the French door window.

Also a few people did use the bikes but we didn't we were really afraid of an injury.. Lots of cobblestones:( ........ Any more questions feel free to ask..

Hi--thanks for your update. Did you go to the Vienna concert or speak with folks who did? What type was it and what was the cost? Also, do you mind telling me if there were a mixture of ages and not all older seniors. Thanks so much.

Robyn France

One more questions regarding food. I had heard good things about the food on this cruise, but noticed some people on this board (seemed to be on Russian cruise) said the food was horrible--lots of others seemed to chime in, making me quite worried. Did you have a good experience with the food on this cruise? Thanks again.

Take care,

Robyn France

Hi Robyn,

We, too, are on your cruise as are our friends. The only river cruise we've taken has been with Peter Deilmann. It was superb. Eager to try Amadeus.

We've pretty much sailed, exclusively, with Regent (formerly Radisson). River cruising is quite different. Far more relaxed pace/atmosphere and lots of lovely scenery.

I have some concerns over the negative posts pertaining to the dining experiences on Amadeus. Here's hoping that the issues are resolved. I do think the overall opinion of Amadeus is favorable.

Thanks for your quick note. I read Buckland's lengthy report and others and they were all very favorable on the food. If I understand correctly, the complaints centered around a Russian itinerary where the catering was provided by a Russian company with an apparently bad reputation. The other remarks I have seen on this board and others have been very good. Buckland said it was a very fine treat and another site which rates cruises raved about the food. So I think we will be fine. Also, we are fine with small portions and really prefer having more continental size entree--I try to keep slender and that makes it easier, especially with several courses. We will be 3 traveling together, my husband and I (we travel to France and Italy annually but are not cruisers) and my sister who has done a variety of traveling. We look forward to meeting you next year--we can barely wait.

We are looking forward to this cruise and itinerary, too. Also looking forward to meeting you, your husband and sister, Robyn.

We were absolutely spoiled on Deilmann, as we had and continue to be on Regent. We are foodies. Quantity is not important, but quality is very important to us. Dining on Deilmann is equivalent to dining in a 5 star restaurant. It was impeccible, as was the service throughout the vessel. We love cruising; however, we also love land touring and have had some wonderful travel experiences in many great parts of the world. I had read that you like to stay active. So do we.

We are planning on spending a few days both pre and post cruise in Budapest and Prague. Are you planning on doing the same?

I see on the Amadeus site that other hotels have been added to the list of Prague properties, in addition to Renaissance (they are now undergoing a renovation). I'd really like to know which property we will be booked into. Any idea?

We appreciate fine food as well and I am keeping an upbeat attitude on this as we have not visited many of the places on the cruise. Yes, we will be staying on either end of the cruise but was not aware of the hotel problem. My sister has made the arrangements for us with a travel agent in Florida and I will definitely pass that on. I will also do a little research on the most desirable locations as I believe I read that some of the hotels cruise lines use are out of the center city, which does not appeal to us. It will have to wait until later in the week as we are taking a few days at the beach and leave in the morning.

We are definitely in the active group--I jog daily, and my husband runs 3 days a week, plays golf 3 days a week and tennis twice a week. My sister is also very active so we were looking for a cruise which would appeal to a variety of ages and flexibility to move ahead if there are people who need assistance and a slower moving tour.

I will let you know what I find out about hotels and would very much appreciate it if you would do the same. Thanks so much. I will check back in later in the week when we get home from our little vacation. Take care.

Sorry if I was confusing. I didn't mean to infer that there were problems with the hotels in Prague. I had noticed on Amadeus' website, that Amadeus has added additional hotels to their contracted choices in Prague. All of Amadeus' selected properties appear to be quite good. I work in the hotel industry and will, most likely, arrange our additional days in Budapest and Prague, at properties I am able to get my employee rate with.

We really like to be centrally located, which gives us the ability to walk around a city as much as possible.

Let's please keep each other in the loop! I'm always happy to share information and am glad to hear that you will do the same.

Have a great vacation! We can never have too much vacation, can we?

Thanks, Robyn!

Robyn, I forgot to mention I did attend the concert in Vienna and I have forgotten the price but it wasn't expensive. We were told to dress smart casual and the men did not need to wear jackets. There is no air conditioning and it was quite crowded. The building was just beautiful and I really loved the concert EXCELLENT... It was my first classical concert and I was mesmerized.. I couldn't believe people were at the concert in jeans, shorts tee shirts etc. The venue was so spectacular you would think people would dress for the occasion!:rolleyes: I am glad you had an opportunity to read all of the threads concerning food issues I wrote the letter to the Chairman of Amadeus when I returned from our cruise..Hopefully the food issues will be resolved and if so we might consider another river cruise in the future.. We are also very active and worried that it would be an older group but it was all ages even a few 20 somethings traveling with their parents. It dosen't matter everyone was so friendly age wasn't a concern... You will love it.. Amadeus also chose the best Hotels. We stayed an extra night at the Sofitel in Budapest such a great location. Prague is magical.. :)

We are booked on the September 3 2008 Danube River cruise on the Amadeus Amacello from Budapest to Prague--14 days. I know the ship is new in 2008 but it is the same as 3 of their other new ships from 2007. Has anyone taken this cruise? I would love to check in on some particulars with anyone who wouldn't mind sharing the experience. There will be 3 of us, our cabins are on the port side about midway on the Violin deck--all very active and interested in a variety of areas. We are particularly interested in knowing about the optional concert in Vienna and if you used the bicycles. We are big travellers but have never done a river cruise. Many thanks--I look forward to your responses.

Robyn France

quote.gif multiquote_off.gif quickreply.gif

Robyn FranceView Public ProfileFind all posts by Robyn FranceAdd Robyn France to Your Buddy List

On our Danube cruise last summer we did go to the Vienna concert, and like someone else said it was very hot, with no air-con.(july). I thought it would be classical music and it turned out to be alot of Opera, which I am not a fan of.

We just returned from a southern Danube cruise on the River Cloud. We too were looking for a river cruise that was not the standard 'ferry boat' class of ship. River Cloud was built by the same company that operates the Sea Cloud, the old sailing ship that does cruises, and advertises itself as the orient express of river cruising. It is hard to find, but we booked through A&K.

Our experience was mixed. To be fair, there were some things that made the trip less than perfect that were not the ship's fault.

First, the weather was record breaking heat- over 100 every day. The air conditioning inside could not keep up, and sitting on the deck, even under cover, was sweltering. Not much fun on non-port days. The ship was only half full, 48 people, and there was only one other English speaking couple onboard, Australians with their teen son. Other passengers spoke English, but were in a group of their own, so of course preferred relaxing in their own tongue. Lucky for us the Aussies were delightful people, I hope they felt the same about us, as we were pretty much stuck with each other at meals. Finally, this part of the Danube has little to offer in the way of scenery- mile after mile of cottonwoods.

out

The ship itself was nice, though not what I would call Orient express quality (much of the wood paneling was actually formica). Service and staff were excellent, if rather formal. Food was pretty hit and miss- the chef tried for gourmet, but would have been better off with good and simple. Wine at meals was included, and mostly pretty good.

Shore excursions were extra, and they had to try pretty hard to find something to show. I would miss the pepper museum- a bunch of dried peppers in the attic of an old house, not great in 100 degree heat.

In summary, I don't think I am a river cruise fan. Even if this had been in area where there was more to see, I prefer staying on shore more and seeing it to spending all day on a small boat.

We have booked the Legendary Danube for Oct 16, 2008 with 2 nights in Budapest and 3 after in Prague, it came as a package. So I will check back to see what other says about it. We are on the lowest deck in midship so should be fine. Especially since days are spent off mostly touring. We will be with my sister/husband so 4 of us. We will then fly to Berlin to visit cousins who will be moving there next spring. Hopefully the weather will be nice, we did not want to go when really hot..........Lynne

• 2 weeks later...

Hi NY Feds---I have read a few additional comments on the food and am now wondering if it is being addressed by Amadeus which I had read was very responsive to client comments. Have u heard anything additional or checked in with them or your travel agent. I think I shall drop them a line specifically asking about fine-tuning the dinners etc. since the boards do have some negative comments along with some positives. What are your thoughts on that?

Take care,

Robyn France

Hi NY Feds---I have read a few additional comments on the food and am now wondering if it is being addressed by Amadeus which I had read was very responsive to client comments. Have u heard anything additional or checked in with them or your travel agent. I think I shall drop them a line specifically asking about fine-tuning the dinners etc. since the boards do have some negative comments along with some positives. What are your thoughts on that?

Take care,

Robyn France

Hi Robyn,

I'm busy preparing for an upcoming trip and haven't really had the time to address concerns to Amadeus or my TA, directly.

It couldn't hurt to write and express your concerns. If you do write, I would be interested in hearing their response. I'm not sure a TA would have much impact in resolving such issues. If I do write, I will write directly to Amadeus, who is the definitive source.

I do know that many cruiselines have "lurkers" on these message boards. I would hope a watchful eye would open the eyes of the powers that be. Of course, those who have previously cruised on Amadeus should voice their displeasure loud and clear right up to the top of the Amadeus ladder.

I work in the hotel industry. Receiving guest input, be it good, bad or indifferent, is very welcome and appreciated.

I do hope that the dining issues are resolved quickly. A good and satisfying dining experience is high on our list of reasons to repeat booking with specific cruiselines, as is the overall vessel, service, itinerary, and of course, cost. We've cruised on Regent (formerly Radisson) as well as Peter Deilmann. Amadeus will have some high standards to aspire to.

• 2 weeks later...

This evening I received a phone call from Mr. Schreiner, president of Amadeus regarding my letter asking about issues with the food. He addressed the concerns very directly and provided me with specific feedback on the ratings they have received from their cruises this year--with the overwhelming ratings at the high end--"exceeded expectations" on the food. He discussed the complaints of the small number of "did not meet expectations"--a family gathering who preferred typical American buffets to continental style cuisine and a small number who are not happy on every cruise.

I feel very comfortable with his detailed response --he discussed their preferred suppliers of fresh fish in various ports and their prep to serve same day only for fresh fish--and the company which supplies food service and chefs. I have held executive marketing positions and experienced the few complainers in 5 star hotels with incomparable meals, and I am quite understanding of the fact that their will always be a few people who are not totally satisfied.

From Mr. Schreiner's remarks, I can say that I shall take him at his word and look forward to fine meals. Many people on the board have been quite pleased, and sometimes the negative remarks tend to take on a life of their own. He asked that we call after our cruise and I plan to.

Hope this puts your mind at ease--it does make me feel that I can anticipate our trip in a very pleasant frame of mind.

Take care,

Robyn France

Robyn,

Thanks so very much for posting the information pertaining to your conversation.

Kudos to Mr. Schreiner for calling you directly and addressing your concerns. Very impressive.

You can't please all of the people, all of the time. However, putting forth the best of efforts can never go unappreciated and unnoticed.

We are so looking forward to our cruise next year (and meeting you and your family, too). Hopefully, the President calling you, personally, alleviates concerns.

We had the pleasure of enjoying the concert at the Hoffburg Palace in one of the halls where Mozart and Pagannini played, not to mention just about any other classical maestro, including many of the modern world.

Even if I was not a classical or operetic fan I was amazed by the experience and would not have missed it for the world. We almost missed our bus back to the ship as I was talking so many pictures. I was able to take photos inside too while they were playing. It was quite extraordinary and I would do it again in a New York second.

If your experience is anything like mine was, you will not be dissappointed.

Buck

We are here right now at the Prague President Hotel and it is outstanding. We leave tomorrow for the Amalegro. So far, everything is wonderful. The weather could not be more perfect. The hotel is convenient to everything and the cruise director is on the job making sure that everyone is satisfied with their experience. We´re loving it and will report again later. I´m having way too much fun to stay on here too long.

This evening I received a phone call from Mr. Schreiner, president of Amadeus regarding my letter asking about issues with the food. He addressed the concerns very directly and provided me with specific feedback on the ratings they have received from their cruises this year--with the overwhelming ratings at the high end--"exceeded expectations" on the food. He discussed the complaints of the small number of "did not meet expectations"--a family gathering who preferred typical American buffets to continental style cuisine and a small number who are not happy on every cruise.

I feel very comfortable with his detailed response --.....Robyn France

A great attitute that the president of the company personally addresses concerns of his clients ! This speaks very well for Amadeus and shows how detail oriented this company is. No wonder that the vast majority of Amadeus cruisers have a great time. I am one of them and keep on Amadeus cruising.

Archived