Should I NOT pay my cruise off to early?

I need some good advice from you experienced cruisers..Do you think I would be wise to not pay the last couple hundred off on my cruise to early? The reason I ask is that if I pay this cruise off now(Which is my plan) and it's not sailing till Feb,2008. That about 200 days that the price could DROP below what I purchased for. I purchased this cruise-single occupancy-(I have high hopes:))directly through Carnival and it's a SUITE..So I'm sure that you know that I am paying the 200% rate to get this cabin I want..ANY ADVICE WOULD HELP!! Thanks and have a great day!!:D

I need some good advice from you experienced cruisers..Do you think I would be wise to not pay the last couple hundred off on my cruise to early? The reason I ask is that if I pay this cruise off now(Which is my plan) and it's not sailing till Feb,2008. That about 200 days that the price could DROP below what I purchased for. I purchased this cruise-single occupancy-(I have high hopes:))directly through Carnival and it's a SUITE..So I'm sure that you know that I am paying the 200% rate to get this cabin I want..ANY ADVICE WOULD HELP!! Thanks and have a great day!!:D

if you are booked with a great agent I dont see why not.

Just make sure that the agent will give you any price reductions up to sailing. SOme dont give it after final payment is due-- Not when its paid.

Making the final payment doesn't mean you won't get price reductions, it's refering to when final payment is DUE. We did it a couple of times..for big ticket cruises I like to pay 1,000 whenever we've saved it up to not make the final bill too scary :) always received the price reduction if there was one.

We only pay the required deposit amount until just before final payment is due. Any money that we want to put towards the cruise payoff goes into a special savings account. We don't earn any worthwhile interest but we have found it gives us more flexibility and cashflow if we suddenly want to cancel our booking and switch to something else. It's taken as long as 8 weeks for me to get money refunded to me from cruises that I've cancelled so I don't want to have too much sitting with the cruiseline at a time. But then that's just my crazy method...

Cheryl

I only pay my deposits and then make my final payment a few days before it is due. Banks are getting more competitive and our local bank is now paying over 5% for checking acounts. I would rather the money sit in my account and earn even a small amount of interest. Plus I use my credit card that I earn air miles on for purchases that I don't have to pay interest on if I pay it off by the due date so my money sits in my account a month longer.

A lot will depend on the cruise line. Some refund easier then others for price reductions. I would recommend going through an agent so you have someone else to go to bat for you if the cruise line won't play ball.

I recommend my clients pay 1 week before due dates. (allows for processing if paying by check) And remember, it's always easier to get your own money back when it hasn't left the bank in the event of a cancellation.

Happy sails!

• 2 weeks later...

You can also get the price reduction refund in the form of on board credit. I paid my cruise off about 2 months prior to when final payment was due, plus I prepaid my gratuities. I had the money (it was a three paycheck month) so I decided to spend the money there instead of buying myself some stupid never would I use item. :p

Archived