3rd person cruise fare charge ?

stjohnrocks

I've been on one Princess cruise this summer to Alaska. We normally cruise RCCL. I am booked for an RCCL New Years Eve cruise currently but saw a great deal on a Dec. 15 date so decided to book it on another RCCL as well and decide on which cruise closer to the final payment date. Then I thought I should check Princess as well for that date. What I found was when checking rates was on RCCL pricing for the 3rd person in one cabin is very straight forward, X dollars pp for two and then the 3rd person reduced rate in the same cabin. Princess however was another story, if you checked for two adults the price was X (same as RCCL) but if you said 3 in one cabin the price went up $200 pp for the first two and then the add on for the third person was on top of that. So at first glance the Princess ship had the same price as RCCL but for the 3rd person (our son) Princess was higher by more than double adding the 200 pp for the first two plus the 3rd person add on! Am I missing something here? I can't believe I didn't notice this before.:confused:

Yes, it is possible. There could be a special rate code for double occupancy which gives you a lower rate. When going to a triple, the rate code changes... and the rates for first and second passengers goes up.

Unfortunately, the rate codes the public can't see.. but we agents do.. that's how we can make sense out of the cruiselines' craziness.

I've also had this experience when the original cabin category booked only accomodates 2 people. I've been forced to upgrade categories to get a cabin with a third and/or fourth berth.

I liked Princess just fine but I think the way they do this is poor. They should just adjust the price to reflect what the "real" cost of adding the 3rd person is by reflecting it in the 3rd person's price. I guess the bottom line is always how much does this trip cost, still I don't like it. My vote goes to RCCL on this one. My DH just told me to stick with RCCL and forget it.

Thanks for your replys.

I liked Princess just fine but I think the way they do this is poor. They should just adjust the price to reflect what the "real" cost of adding the 3rd person is by reflecting it in the 3rd person's price. I guess the bottom line is always how much does this trip cost, still I don't like it. My vote goes to RCCL on this one. My DH just told me to stick with RCCL and forget it.

Thanks for your replys.

RCCL is just as bad. We tried to do this when RC was doing a special and they wouldn't allow three in the room at the special price. It was cheaper to take two rooms add a phantom name who was a no show than put three in one room.

we travelled on the sapphire princess last april and the price for 3 in a cabin was $400A more per person than our cabin with just two in it. not even a reduction for the third person....Three doors away same category

this was booked in australia though and we do have higher and differing pricing codes

RCCL is just as bad. We tried to do this when RC was doing a special and they wouldn't allow three in the room at the special price. It was cheaper to take two rooms add a phantom name who was a no show than put three in one room.

Interesting, i just booked the RCCL cruise on a "hot deal" and it put the first two people at the same price with either 2 or 3 total in the room. Maybe this stuff changes with the wind! Amazing that you were able to do two rooms for cheaper! I would do that in a heartbeat. I'm surprised they didn't up the 3rd person to single supplement rates

Years ago Princess ran a two-for-one promotion. I wanted to go solo and thought I could get a cabin for one full fare since it was a two for one promotion, no way I still had to pay a single supplement so the cost for one person was much higher than the total cost for two people to go on the same cruise. Go figure!

If you can figure out cruise and airline pricing logic, you should get a Nobel prize.

I've been on one Princess cruise this summer to Alaska. We normally cruise RCCL. I am booked for an RCCL New Years Eve cruise currently but saw a great deal on a Dec. 15 date so decided to book it on another RCCL as well and decide on which cruise closer to the final payment date. Then I thought I should check Princess as well for that date. What I found was when checking rates was on RCCL pricing for the 3rd person in one cabin is very straight forward, X dollars pp for two and then the 3rd person reduced rate in the same cabin. Princess however was another story, if you checked for two adults the price was X (same as RCCL) but if you said 3 in one cabin the price went up $200 pp for the first two and then the add on for the third person was on top of that. So at first glance the Princess ship had the same price as RCCL but for the 3rd person (our son) Princess was higher by more than double adding the 200 pp for the first two plus the 3rd person add on! Am I missing something here? I can't believe I didn't notice this before.:confused:

when I booked my cabin for 3 the third person was about 1/2 price and the first two were the price posted on the web site.

This used to be so simple! The 3rd person was a fixed amount regardless of cabin(except suites). i.e. 3/4th person $400 extra. When we tried to book 3 we found that the 3rd is a percentage of the room rate; the more expensive the room the more expensive the 3rd rate becomes. Just a little way of increasing revenues!!!;)

Yes, it is possible. There could be a special rate code for double occupancy which gives you a lower rate. When going to a triple, the rate code changes... and the rates for first and second passengers goes up.

Unfortunately, the rate codes the public can't see.. but we agents do.. that's how we can make sense out of the cruiselines' craziness.

I have never heard of that. I was looking at the Coral mini-suite and rates for pax 1 & 2 are around $2K (give or take if you go through Princess or the internet). The price for the 3rd and 4th pax (under 18) are $899 each (10 day cruise) and I thought it a lot that the 4th pax did not go down and they would be in a rollaway single cot. Is this average?

Yes, but at 72 days isn't final payment due and non-refundable?

Archived