Does anyone know of a cruiseline called Paquet?

As a matter of fact, I worked for Paquet French Cruises from 1982 through 1985 when the owners decided to close their US operations and later sell off the ships.

During the time I worked there we had the following ships: Rhapsody (ex-Stantendam), Mermoz (ex-Jean Mermoz), Dolphin IV (marketed as Paquet Ulysses Cruises) and the Azur. In the US office, we sold mostly the Rhapsody and Dolphin IV cruises. We also sold a small inventory of the Mermoz cruises. The Azur was marketed primarily to the French and European market.

We did have a ship that ran aground in Grand Cayman (right off the Seven Mile Beach area) for a total of 72 days. It was the Rhapsody and it occured during the Summer of 2004. I have a picture taken by a friend who was vacationing in Grand Cayman that shows the ship grounded right near the beach. I must say it was a stressful 72 days for all employees. Especially the day when we had to work 36 to 40 hours straight while we were bringing back the guests from the stranded ship.

What type of information would you like to know about Paquet French Cruises? Maybe I can help you out.

Keep cruising...it's the ONLY way to vacation!

Wow thanks for the information. My parents and grandparents went on a Paquet Cruise that ran aground in Grand Cayman, before I was born. I have seen pictures and my mom says that it was the Rhapsody. When they went it was in the 1980s.

Hi There! I was an entertainer with Paquet Cruiselines and performed on the Rhapsody 1985 -1986. It was a Virgin Island cruise out of Port Everglades, FL. A great, fun time!

Hi I was always at the pier on Sundays for embarkation and met many of the ship's staff, including the entertainers. My name is Carlos Ortega. What is your's if you don't mind sharing it?

I loved the Rhapsody! She was a true beauty in her hey days.

Hi I was always at the pier on Sundays for embarkation and met many of the ship's staff, including the entertainers. My name is Carlos Ortega. What is your's if you don't mind sharing it?

I loved the Rhapsody! She was a true beauty in her hey days.

Hey Carlos,

My name is Jacqui Marsh (now Kraus). I was a solo entertainer in the Lido Deck/Lounge. I was about 23 at the time, 5'10" Blonde. I was the "token tall blonde girl from NY". There weren't many females on that ship. The Rhapsody was my very first cruise ship experience, and she will always hold a special place in my heart. I did get another chance to see her after Paquet shut down, as I worked for Regency Cruiselines and they purchased her to be the Regent Sun. I was sad to hear of her demise. Such a waste!

Take Care,

Jacqui

• 3 weeks later...

The Regent Sun was one of my all time favorite cruise ships -- we cruised on her several times before the demise of Regency Cruises. I knew that she was built as the Shalom and had most recently cruised for, I think, Royal Cruise Line, before she went to Regency -- I was not aware of her Paquet past.

• 1 month later...

My wife and I did a transatlantic cruise from Miami to Nice in mid-April 1986 which turned out to be the last voyage the Azur sailed for Paquet. We learned enroute that the ship had been sold. This also turned out to be an extremely interesting trip for other reasons:

In Madeira we noticed British warships on exercises......then noticed the same ships in Gibraltor as the Med went on high alert due to the bombing of Tripoli. We were diverted from Algiers as a precautionary measure had an extra call in Spain. Passengers were cautioned to be conscious of what was going on around them in view of the heightened conditions.

Didn't bother anyone on the ship that we saw though - everyone continued to have a ball. Then we found there was a dock strike in Nice so we were diverted to Genoa and bussed back to Nice.

All in all, it was an amazing voyage on what I recall as a 10,000 ton ship traversing the Atlantic - the "crossing the line" ceremony/staff parties which all female passengers were invited to/great food and fun for all.

Wonder where this ship is now?

Rob

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I cruised on the M/S Rennaisance in 1971. The ship was a beautiful classic ocean liner of the day. Held 500 passengers plus crew and was approx. 11,000 tons, tiny by todays standard. It was a fantastic cruise. 3 bottles of good French wine at no charge on the table for lunch and dinner. Free refills! Lunch ordered at pool side was twin filets w/bearnaise sauce, salad and fries every day! Ship left from Ft. Lauderdale. Food and service was unbeatable. 30 plus cruises later, this one is still memorable!:)

I cruised on the M/S Rennaisance in 1971. The ship was a beautiful classic ocean liner of the day. Held 500 passengers plus crew and was approx. 11,000 tons, tiny by todays standard. It was a fantastic cruise. 3 bottles of good French wine at no charge on the table for lunch and dinner. Free refills! Lunch ordered at pool side was twin filets w/bearnaise sauce, salad and fries every day! Ship left from Ft. Lauderdale. Food and service was unbeatable. 30 plus cruises later, this one is still memorable!:)

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I used to work for Paquet French Cruises and later Dolphin Cruise Line so we may have known each other. My name is Carlos Ortega and I worked shoreside in the Reservations/Group department for Paquet and later was in charge of Reservations/Groups, etc. We may know many of the same people.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We did have a ship that ran aground in Grand Cayman (right off the Seven Mile Beach area) for a total of 72 days. It was the Rhapsody and it occured during the Summer of 2004. I have a picture taken by a friend who was vacationing in Grand Cayman that shows the ship grounded right near the beach. I must say it was a stressful 72 days for all employees. Especially the day when we had to work 36 to 40 hours straight while we were bringing back the guests from the stranded ship.

Carlos, I think you may have misstated the date the Rhapsody went aground. I found this info on another site:

"Further worries arose on March 28th 1984, when the Rhapsody ran aground on Grand Cayman, near Georgetown. After having been stuck on the rocks for three days, the displeased and angered passengers were taken off and flown home on the 31st. The Rhapsody was firmly lodged where she lay, and it took more than two months to get her refloated. On June 15th, she finally came off the rocks after much difficulty, and was then towed to Galveston to undergo the necessary repairs. In September she was back in service doing cruises from Port Everglades, but this was merely a last, desperate attempt from her owners to make her profitable again. Her time with Paquet Cruises had been a failure, and she was soon put up for sale again."

• 7 months later...

I think I remember you, and I think I may have a picture of you somewhere in my memories box.

I worked on the Rhapsody twice. Once before it was sold and once either right after or right before it was sold. I remember waiting to hear from my agent whether it was going to sail again or not. When I worked on her the second time it had just been refitted/ remod and sailed out of Ft. Lauderdale. Circa 85-86 I think.

I was a relief cruise staff, disc jockey and sound engineer. I would work a few weeks on a ship as a fill in, then they would move me to another ship (via my agent/ pirate). I worked 17 ships in all over two and a half years. It was a lot of fun!

I think it was only a one or two week gig for me. I know it was a Caribbean run but I don't recall the ports.

How has life treated you all these years?

Regards

Curtis Neale

DJ - Rhapsody

Hey Carlos,

My name is Jacqui Marsh (now Kraus). I was a solo entertainer in the Lido Deck/Lounge. I was about 23 at the time, 5'10" Blonde. I was the "token tall blonde girl from NY". There weren't many females on that ship. The Rhapsody was my very first cruise ship experience, and she will always hold a special place in my heart. I did get another chance to see her after Paquet shut down, as I worked for Regency Cruiselines and they purchased her to be the Regent Sun. I was sad to hear of her demise. Such a waste!

Take Care,

Jacqui

I read that you were the ex-safety officer aboard Paquet's Rhapsody. I work for the cruise line in the Miami offices from 1982 through 1985 and sailed on the Rhapsody a few times. Plus, I worked at the cruise terminal during the same time when the ship sailed from Miami and Fort Lauderdale. What is your name?

• 1 month later...

I was one of the Pursers on the S/S Rhapsody and maybe either or both of you are in my Paquet Album on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=8428&id=100000979994313&l=2d06381a56

I have been able to find a ton load of crewmembers from my years on Carnival but so far none from Paquet and I need some to help me remember names and TAG some of the other crewmembers in my album.

Cheers,

Mark

I think I remember you, and I think I may have a picture of you somewhere in my memories box.

I worked on the Rhapsody twice. Once before it was sold and once either right after or right before it was sold. I remember waiting to hear from my agent whether it was going to sail again or not. When I worked on her the second time it had just been refitted/ remod and sailed out of Ft. Lauderdale. Circa 85-86 I think.

I was a relief cruise staff, disc jockey and sound engineer. I would work a few weeks on a ship as a fill in, then they would move me to another ship (via my agent/ pirate). I worked 17 ships in all over two and a half years. It was a lot of fun!

I think it was only a one or two week gig for me. I know it was a Caribbean run but I don't recall the ports.

How has life treated you all these years?

Regards

Curtis Neale

DJ - Rhapsody