Now I want to scream

Disneycruiser#1

Do you have a close friend or family member that could go with you on the cruise?? No, it isn't your husband, but he isn't leaving until Jan., and I really think this one week would be very good for you, to chill and prepare yourself for the challanges ahead. I do understand your anger, but that is military life.

I know it doesn't help much, but let me say that families like yours are what make America the strong country that it is. The sacrifices both you and your husband, as well as your two little guys, make on a daily basis are something that the rest of us should never forget and never take for granted. I thank you, and I thank your husband, for being there to protect the freedoms I so much enjoy.

As others have said, maybe you should consider taking the cruise anyway ... if not on its originally scheduled date, then maybe sometime after your husband is deployed. Perhaps by that time, your father will be out of the woods, and maybe you can bring your parents, and even the little guys?

I realize it's not your husband ... and you truly wanted to cruise with him ... but if that can't work out right now, you can always plan it for the future. For now, maybe you need to get away to refresh your soul and perhaps you shouldn't even cancel this cruise, but rather go with another traveling companion(s).

Blue skies and again, thank you. Give your husband a big hug for me too, okay?

Blue skies ...

--rita

I'm really sorry about your cruise loss as well as the humongous amount of trials and tribulations you and your family have had to endure. I'll pray that you somehow get a happy resolution. If it's any consolation, I am so very thankful that there are people like your husband who protect us night and day. Knowing that we have the finest military has made the last three years of uncertainty and fear so much better. The families of our soldiers are no doubt the wind beneath their wings, so thank you too. Keep your chin up and vent all you want!

WOW... my "I Could Screams" seems so selfish next to yours. I am sooooooo with you on wanting that time away with hubby, although your pan of fish to fry is a lot bigger then mine. I know that pit it puts in your stomach. I do not know what it feels like to be in the position with the military that you are. No words can express how bad I feel for you. I wish I had an answer like so many others on here do also. PLEASE hang in there! You brag (for lack of a better word, and rightfully so) about that awesome husband you have and the sacrifices he makes, BUT you deserve that and even more. YOU are the wife left behind with two small boys a house to run and a sick father? Hats of to you sister! YOU make people proud to be Americans!

1. Princess will not let us cancel without a penalty and may not let us cancel at all based on a military situation. My TA says we could write a letter of appeal.

2. We have travel insurance but my TA says we have to have a doctor sign a legal affadavit. I am getting over a strep infection and have a doctor's appointment Monday as a follow up bc I became ill while in SC helping my parents. Since I do not have a spleen whenever I get sick or have a fever for more than 2 days and symptoms I have an antibiotic I keep with me to start. I also have ongoing medical problems bc of my aneurysm, gastro, immune compromised, pain doctors. But my TA's say many doctor's will not sign these legal affadavits as they could lose their medical license. Also have Navy Doctor's who do not ever want or will sign forms. Also my cruise insurance will cover the amount in the "schedule" not sure of the amount if an immediate family members illness keeps us from going. My Dad is in the hospital because of prostate cancer and my Mom is disabled I have been taking car eof her and him. She does not drive or anything and I go up there and help him eat etc. I am also the liason for parents to the doctor's etc.

3. I am not sure what to do. I am not lying, what is the best chance of getting our money or just a credit, the inability to take leave because of the CO saying no because of the drills, my medical or my Dads.

4. If there is a chance of getting zero back should I go it alone, I do not want too, or let it go and be out the money.

I still just want to cry............................

DisneyCruiser - I am not surprised about Princess not making an exception. Some lines made exceptions right after 9-11 but since we have known about military being called up unexpedetly for 3 years now - lines are not making exceptions and one really needs insurance to cover this.

I never heard which insurance company you have. If you have Princess' Insurance - you can cancel for any reason and get a future cruise credit for a future cruise (it is not 100% but better then nothing) or some 3rd party insurance companies would possibly cover this.

I would contact your insurance company and see if this is covered. Princess Insurance probably would have been best because you can cancel for an uncovered reason and get future crusie credit (I know, an after thought).

I hope this all works out.

========

If insurance doesn't cover military - I would try because of your dad's illness.

I called Princess Cruiselines and the CSR hung up on me. I called back and they put me through to a department that is closed. I called back a CSR Rep. told me I had to call back at 10am west coast time.

I will call back but it looks like a bunch a begging a pleading for someone to care and they will access penalties but "maybe" a credit so I would have to sail within a year by myself with my boys because my husband will be gone until September or October or 2005............I am just sick over this.

Thanks for the information. My TA never told me about Princess Insurance just to use the other insurance I mentioned (not sure if can) and I have an email where he states that if we have to cancel we lose only $80 ($40 per person). I am learning a hard lesson. An a expensive one. He never told me how hard it would be to get insurance to kick in etc.

Thanks for all your help everyone..........

Sounds like you ended up with good insurance. Glad it is covered.

I had to file a claim for a cancelled trip (medical reasons) and while the paperwork looked overwhelming to begin with - it turned out to be fairly easy and the insurance company paid for the trip within 10 days. With your husband leaving soon - I would try to get the paperwork together before he leaves.

Good luck to you and your family!

I spoke with a nice lady at Princess Customer Care Unit. She wants a letter on letterhead from my husband's Command stating why he can not cruise and us to state we wish a refund or a credit for future travel. I am still so mad but now sad that I can not see straight but as you said "this too shall pass"............thanks for all of your support. I still intend on cruising Princess someday but it will be with my boys.

She wants the letter Monday am. If that does not work I assume we try the travel insurance from my Dad's doctor since he is still in the hospital from his prostate cancer and my insurance includes Grandparents.

:(

Either way, cash or credit, it is better than money in the bank if it gets you a cruise. Again, I am sorry.

I spoke with a nice lady at Princess Customer Care Unit. She wants a letter on letterhead from my husband's Command stating why he can not cruise and us to state we wish a refund or a credit for future travel. I am still so mad but now sad that I can not see straight but as you said "this too shall pass"............thanks for all of your support. I still intend on cruising Princess someday but it will be with my boys.

She wants the letter Monday am. If that does not work I assume we try the travel insurance from my Dad's doctor since he is still in the hospital from his prostate cancer and my insurance includes Grandparents.

:(

It is tripmate.com. I looked it up and pre-departure interuption would cover the price we paid. #390C

Maybe I am missing something - I thought you were covered with travel insurance?

Again, good luck!

Hey all and Sue. We are going to try the letter from the Command first on Monday. The Lady at Customer Care was very caring and from our conversation they see this a lot now days and with proper documentation this should be fine. We still have time to use the trip insurance if needed. With my Dad still in the hospital I want to see if the command letter will come through before asking my Dad's doctors for help. I think it would stress my Dad out. I am still out of state at my parents house not set to return until early in the week which leaves me little time to get my doctors proof needed. I am on an antibiotic for strep, since losing my spleen I have had strep 7 times in 4 months and nopw must carry an antibiotic with me.

Lets just see where this takes us. I am just tired.........and I am really diappointed I have been going on shock mode for so long knowing I had this cruise to rest and spend time with my husband.

Sue, this was the only week my DH could go. He has a air show mid September and then transfers Units at the end of September and will start field training which is not predictable, my 6 years starts fall soccer we have no one to watch the boys other than the planned week and then we are into October, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Xmas and New Years and he is gone so this was it...............

Thanks to you all and I will keep you posted. I received more support from this group than my husband who is in defensive mode..............

DC, Please don't be too hard on your husband. I am not taking sides, but most husbands go into a defensive mode when they are asked to choose between the two most important thngs in their life. Family and job. For men, it is a given. This is just as hard for him as it is you. He just isn't showing it. He is trained to react that way. This is a certain setback, but you must not look at it as a total loss. Just go in a different direction. You could always go to a hotel close for commute time, and when he is through work he can come there. Have your sister watch the kids, and you still have time alone. I live in Cape Coral, and a cute little motel on Pine Island is 5 miles away. We went there for 5 days, and hubby worked through it. When he got back we were alone till he had to go back!! We needed it!! We are on the older side, :eek: so the passion wan't a major part of that, LOL, but the peace and quiet, wa worth every minuite. We ate out for dinner, and took walks, poked in the tiny stores, and sat on the wonderful deck that went all around the building, right on the gulf. It isn't about how much you spend, or where you go, it is all about making it work to be alone together. I really hope everything works out for you. Life always throws us curves, but you have to be imaginative to pull it off anyway. Sometimes second best is even better. We are always here to support you!! :)

I agree with Sue. As much as you may be sad or mad or what have you right now, don't forget that you want to cherish the time you have with your hubby..whether that be on a cruise or just enjoy the mundane parts of life :)

Best of luck to you!

You all are correct and the last 2 hours of house and yard work and thinking it through allowed me to come to the same conclusion. Where it stands now is he will go to his CO Monday morning and show him the emails and such where they knew he was taking leave that week, then he will explain why he needs to the leave, going away for almost a year, changing Units in 4 weeks, field training and op's starting in 4 weeks etc. He will explain the finances involved and such and then if they still say no and they need him he will give them a request to prepare the letter Princess has requested stating why he can not go etc..................so at least he will have tried, he will not hurt his career but for goodness sake he has been in for 18.5 years and could retire now and then if the CO will not sign the letter which would be highly unusual for this CO we can kick the trip insurance in with my Dad or my on going health. Hate to do it that way and trying to work with Princess to do it the first way.

Thanks for your support. My husband is being pulled 100 different ways right now with my health, my Dad's cancer, his deployment, changing Units, being caught up in a Unit, having a 3 and 6 year old.............life after the Marine Corp. He has a BA in Business and so much experience in Air Op's and Craw Crew (which is slang for Fire and Rescue), he is up to date on Hazardous Material Op's, Homeland Security, Emergency Evacuations....you name it. But like Sue said he has us to worry about, a 18.5 year career and a patriotic tug that even I find frustrating.

Thanks for all of your support. The inital shock has worn off. I am still sad but what can you do. As long as we have life we have choices but at this time the Marine Corp is making it difficult for us and millions of other military families we are not alone.

I will update Monday if you all want..........and seriously thank you. As I have said for awhile the Princess forum is the nicest group I have ever encountered. You all really mean it and it is not just lip service (or posts)!

Please let us know!! We want to enjoy your getaway,as much as you will. Never give up hope or feel as though you are backed into a wall. You never are!1 Just have to find another way around it!! Good for your hubby. Wuth 18 in, he knows how to kick butt too!!! :D

Disneycruiser#1,

Just a bit of advice. I would suggest that the letter from the CO contain ONLY that which Princess told you they needed. Nothing more. Nothing less. Do not give them any more information because you think it will strengthen your case. Giving too much information is just as bad, if not worse, than giving too little. The Rep told you what it needed to say. Say only that and no more since the person they show it to may seize upon some additional info you include and say, "Hey, you didn't say THAT before. Why can't they just do (fill in the blank here) instead of us giving a credit/refund/whatever."

I am a firm believer in giving them just what they asked for and nothing more. Any more and you may be complicating matters unnecessarily. Good Luck!

The Monk

Archived