Vienna to Amsterdam, port or starboard?

h2odad

Hoping that someone can recommend to us which side of the Ship might have better sights for selecting a cabin; traveling from Vienna to Amsterdam ( sort of a north- west direction) along the Danube, Main and Rhine Rivers.

Thanks!

Either side is good. I hope you are not planning in staying in your room. You should be up on the top deck when ever you are on board and not eating.

We felt that cabins are for sleeping, not viewing the countryside. And when you pull into a town or village you will be on shore anyway. Willard

I just returned from this trip with a balcony cabin on the starboard side. Both sides can be bad and good. When in port their might be another ship tied up next to you blocking the view. When cruise it should not matter as it is best to be up on deck.

We just cruised Budapest to Amsterdam with a cabin on the starboard side on the Avalon Tranquility.I really enjoyed being so close to the shore while cruising and the sundeck was closed for 3 days while going through the Main/Danube Canal.Some mornings we would lay in bed and watch the world slip by. We always had our drapes open while we slept. It was also nice not to get the hot afternoon sun.The other side of the ship,port side, would get very hot in the late afternoon if it was hot outside.If I cruise again in the same direction I will reserve the starboard side again.We had a wonderful time and I would do it all again right now if I could.:D

I would agree, the setting sun can be quite hot if you are early to bed. I liked staying up on deck until well after sunset. You'l get some spectacular photos. If your cabin is a bit warm, just open the window or sliding glass door and it will cool off pretty quick. We did not have our AC on at all during our trip, but of course it was late in the year.

Buck

Even though we are really not early to bed people when we would go to our cabin to change for dinner or after dinner to change again for the sun deck you could feel in the hallway how hot it was on the port side. We did have 2 or 3 days in the 90's and we were ver grateful for the air conditioning!!! The day we arrived in Nuremburg it was 95 F. We were lucky in that we had 2 days of off and on drizzling rain and another 2 days of HOT, with the remainder of the cruise perfect weather.At night it always cooled off.We would open the sliding door at night after the lights were out ,close it while we slept and open it again in the early morning till it got warm. I loved having it open while it rained as I love the sound of rain.:D

Darn!!!! I want to do it again right now!!!

Archived