Fanning Island Excursions

We did this trip several years ago, so I don't know if things have changed. When we arrived to the island there were several of the local people there that were willing to take you on a walking tour of the island. This was one of the highlights of our trip, it was fascinating to hear about their culture and island. I would highly recommend you look into this possibility.

I would skip the swimming part and just walk around the island. You can go on a tour like the person above me said, or you can just walk around yourself (or in a small group if that would make you feel better) and can't really get lost. Its very exotic no stores or anything. Anything that's built up is for ncl (I mean the bbq areas, school etc) and a church that was under construction when I was there in feb. Besides that just huts. Its a very interesting place and with all the global warming and raising tides warning, I hate to say it but the island won't be there for ever.

We were at Fanning Island about 18 months ago and loved our day there. I really hope to return there some day.

As previous poster said, there were people willing to give walking and "bus" tours of their island. There were bikes available to rent. The residents have set up a "craft" market with very reasonably priced items and I wish I'd bought more. I also purchased a freshly harvested coconut which they had cut open so you could drink the milk. The milk was really very good.

Be sure to mail yourself a postcard with their really beautiful stamps. But, don't expect it anytime soon. Ours took about 8 months to arrive.

We did not do any of the shore excursions and did not regret it. Food is set up on the main island where most of the activity is. There is a bar open. We found the beach there to be more than adequate. There was even bar service right to you in the water.

Be sure to bring plenty of one dollar bills. We often were "entertained" as we walked the main "road" by children and would give them a dollar. We also gave the children who posed for pictures some money.

Enjoy yourself. The island is a very unique cruise stop. Remember also, Fanning Island is home to many people and is unlike the private cruise line islands in the Carribean.

And one more thing...it sounds like things are still similar to when we went so you might want to take your passport onto the island with you and get it stamped. There was a table set up near the dock and the island official stamped passports. I don't think he charged, but there was a jar for donations if I remember correctly. Its a nice little souvenir to have!

This is just what sort of impressions and advice I was looking for. Thanks to all of you for replying. We're taking this trip because we love the itinerary. When we were on the Wind in 2005, we never made it to Fanning due to medical emergencies. So... we're going to keep trying until we get there!! Your sharing of your experience will help make our experience that much better. Thanks again. :)

We've been to Fanning twice and would love to go back. It's not for everyone, as complaints are freely heard due the primitive nature of the place.(what, no shopping mall?)...it's a very primitive and exotic location. Not built up at all, it's like you're going in the way-back-time-machine.

You tender in and the first time we went it was VERY hot and humid...only thing I could do was go into the water. Second time was much nicer weather and I walked around a bit more, enjoying the sights. It's an experience, and although I didn't understand what they were saying, the locals were full of songs and appeared to welcome us.:cool:

I was at Fanning via the Wind in May 2005. It was an amazing and beautiful place, an experience we will never forget! Like pp's have said, there will be naysayers, but it really is so wonderful there!

We did what I think was called the "beach sports package" or something. We had access to a "private" beach, where we coud use hobie cats, bikes, sports gear and swim in the wonderful shallow lagoon. It was amazing!

my wife and i were there in june 2005. we like sea days. brought school supplies to the children. we met the principal note: school desk were made for pallets from ncl ship. i would take a walking tour of the island the people were very nice. the only toilets on the island are at the ncl compound. take care keep on cruising.;)

We went to Fanning in January. It was the highlight of our trip. It would have been nice to spend more time there. We took the morning excursion to the "private island," then spend the afternoon on the main island. The private island is beautiful. Everyone has lounge chairs/umbrellas, floats, and access to the hobie cats, etc., if they'd like. We walked/floated out a long way, and still the water never got about my knees. It was beautiful.

Back over on the main island we had lunch while watching the local entertainment, then walked around the island to see how the people live. Several groups of children wanted to sing us a song. We also strolled through the craft market where there were many bargains.

For us, cruising is about the ship and getting away from the tourist areas when in port. We're not shoppers and like to see how the real residents live, etc. Fanning Island fits our idea of cruising perfectly.

We were on Fanning Island a few years ago and loved it. Yes, by all means have your passport stamped - for a small donation. I, too, wish I purchased more items at the craft market. Beautiful shell and woven baskets, wall hangings/trivets and trays. DH bought a tiki-like carving.

We heard about the school on the island and how the people pride themselves in providing an education for their children. We brought school supplies, colored pencils, note pads, reading materials, etc. as donations. Prior to the cruise, DH picked up some wild sun glasses from a business associate and began passing them out to the children. Before long, he had a line of youngsters following him through the craft market.

As someone said when we were returning to the ship at the end of the day, "This must have been what Hawaii was like 300 years ago."

Darcy

Be sure to mail yourself a postcard with their really beautiful stamps. But, don't expect it anytime soon. Ours took about 8 months to arrive.

Great idea. Or just buy some of the stamps to take home. I bought a dozen or so and put them in one of those picture frames designed for displaying multiple snapshots.

Fanning Island is a unique and memorable cruise stop. Be sure to explore beyond the main beach area to get a sense of how people live on this isolated and primitive island. You can explore with a guide, but you don't need to.

Have a great cruise.

We, too, have been to Fanning Island and agree with the previous posters' comments. We didn't sign up for any of the ship's activities and found a walk to the school (with some supplies) to be very interesting. There is a beach for swimming and they had a nice lunch available. The craft market is interesting whether you buy or not.

This is a unique experience for big ship cruising, and it was nice to go back to one of the Gilbert Islands without worrying about getting shot. I was in the area during WWII.

One comment we heard from a number of people was grumbling about sailing 4 days to spend a few hours at Fanning. We felt just the opposite since we like sea days, and they should have booked something else if that was going to bother them.

Archived