Can you purchase Boxed Wine in Venice?

We'll be staying in Venice several days before our honeymoon cruise on the Celeberty Millennium (11/18). Rather than packing a corkscrew and worrying about lugging several bottles through the city, does anyone know if you can purchase boxed wine in Venice?

If so, where is a good place to do so, what brands are the best, and what is the cost?

I'm expecting snide remarks, but some brands of boxed wine are quite drinkable, in my opinion.

Ha, Ha, Ha...Boxed wine in italy! Just kiddin!

Anyway, the better news is that in Venice, and elsewhere in Italy, there are a couple of "co-op" stores that sell wine strait out of large 30 gallon "jugs" which they put straight into recycled plastic soda bottles. We waited in line to buy it behind a number of Italians, so its not just for tourists.

I remember buying the "good stuff"- (highest priced) for something around 4 euros. A completely drinkable wine that we took on our sunset gondola ride. The plastic cups from the convenience store cost more so line them up in advance!

We stocked up for the ship and enjoyed that wine as much as many of the more expensive bottles we purchased throughout our cruise...and it had the best story behind it.

...Rather than packing a corkscrew ...quote]

Good news is that you can get a corkscrew, and even wine glasses, from your room steward. In fact on our last 3 or 4 Celebrity sailings on other ships (not the Millennium but its probably the same) there were wine glasses and a corkscrew in the room just in case you wanted the mini-bar wine - or brought your own.

Ha, Ha, Ha...Boxed wine in italy! Just kiddin!

Anyway, the better news is that in Venice, and elsewhere in Italy, there are a couple of "co-op" stores that sell wine strait out of large 30 gallon "jugs" which they put straight into recycled plastic soda bottles. We waited in line to buy it behind a number of Italians, so its not just for tourists.

I remember buying the "good stuff"- (highest priced) for something around 4 euros. A completely drinkable wine that we took on our sunset gondola ride. The plastic cups from the convenience store cost more so line them up in advance!

You are right it is a great deal! We loved our wine from the "Jug". We will be there again in September and it is one of my first places to go.

Thanks for the response. 30 gal. jugs of wine sounds dangerous, but fun! We'll give that a try - my guess is that the wine would go flat pretty quick once poured into separate containers...

Well, I wouldn't save it for my cellar! It was really good wine but we drank what we had purchased that same day.

Archived