What happens in the even of a hurricane or tropical storm?

acrowson

Could they legally charged the extra tips? Your contract is for X number of nights.

They do not legally charge you any tips. All tips are optional and are precharged on your S&S as a courtesy to you.

I find that $10 per day is a miniscule amount compared to the service I receive. I would leave that much for dinner alone for that quality on shore.

We were on an RCL cruise 2 years ago when Dennis came through. The capitan had enough advance notice (technology and all) that we left Key West, by passed Grand Cayman and went to straight to Cozumel. We were in Cozumel for 24 hours! That is unheard of - but it we thought it was the greatest. We had fantastic time in Cozumel and then went on the next day to Progresso - a little surprise stop the captain was able to arrange. All in all, it turned out to be our best cruise ever. I would not hesitate to sail again even tho' a storm is brewing. The captain and his technology will not let you into harm's way - AND IT'S A CRUISE!! Have fun, no matter what! You know - changes in lattitude, changes in attitude.

They do not legally charge you any tips. All tips are optional and are precharged on your S&S as a courtesy to you.

I find that $10 per day is a miniscule amount compared to the service I receive. I would leave that much for dinner alone for that quality on shore.

Your right.I guess I didn't of that.

Was your car ok? I am going on a cruise out of galveston next oct and am worried about leaving my car on the island!:eek:

What we started doing was renting a car for the drive to Miami way back when there was heavy construction at the port. Even without a problem, when we returned from a cruise the car was unbelievably dirty, caked with mud. So we would rent a one way, drop it at the port [Avis had an office at the port] and pick up a reserved one to drive back after the cruise. The cost was about $15. more than parking our car would have cost. Now the port has covered parking and little or no construction [like everywhere, there is some] but we still do the rental bit so we know our car sits home in the garage.

Dan

You have GOT to be kidding me :rolleyes: What are people who are that cheap doing on a cruise in the first place? I would LOVE it if cruising cost an average of $10 per day! ;)

You got that right! We met a couple last year on the Conquest who had been on it during Rita. They got 4 extra days out of it! I would love that and would gladly pay $40 each extra for 4 more days! Going in September, the same week and hoping it works this year! (only half kidding!:p )

So, we are leaving on a our cruise on August 16th and am worried about it being hurricane season....what happens if a tropical storm develops? Will the ship still cruise?

Obviously it wont if a hurricane comes, but what about tropical depression and tropical storms in the gulf?? How does this work and what should we expect if there is one.

GOD I HOPE NOT!!!!! :(

Friends of ours were suppose to cruise out of NY to Bermuda a couple of years ago. there was a hurricane coming thru Bermuda, and up the east coast, so they changed the route, to CANADA, and didn't tell the passengers until they got to the port of NY. How's that, bring your bathing suit for a few days of sun and fun, and end up in Canada. The cruise line didn't even offer refunds to any who didn't want to go.

Friends of ours were suppose to cruise out of NY to Bermuda a couple of years ago. there was a hurricane coming thru Bermuda, and up the east coast, so they changed the route, to CANADA, and didn't tell the passengers until they got to the port of NY. How's that, bring your bathing suit for a few days of sun and fun, and end up in Canada. The cruise line didn't even offer refunds to any who didn't want to go.

My wife and I were going Boston to Bermuda that same year - we were sailing out the weekend after the hurricane hit. The hurricane was all over the news all week. Our TA called us the day before to tell us about the itinerary change, but I pretty much had the change figured out already. There really aren't that many places within range for a 7 day cruise from the Northeast. I couldn't believe anyone was showing up at the pier that didn't know about the change. That wasn't our first cruise affected by a hurricane, but it certainly was the most dramatic change between the planned itinerary and the actual one. :D

They'll go a reasonable distance around any storms you encounter out at sea, but be prepared for rough seas if you are anywhere near the storm. I find that heavy drinking helps :D .

LOL! 9 years ago on the Imagination, we were running 'around' Hurricane George. We had to miss Cozumel and docked in Jamaica (in a very non-touristy part I remember). The funniest memory was of 4 drunk women walking down the corridor in some very high heels, careening from one side of the hallway to the other as the ship lurched back and forth - wish I had my camcorder handy!:p Dinners were a bit uncomfortable as our glasses actually would jitter back and forth a few times. We didn't get sick but I remember alot of people looking for the bags. Hope it never happens to me again.

LOL! 9 years ago on the Imagination, we were running 'around' Hurricane George. We had to miss Cozumel and docked in Jamaica (in a very non-touristy part I remember). The funniest memory was of 4 drunk women walking down the corridor in some very high heels, careening from one side of the hallway to the other as the ship lurched back and forth - wish I had my camcorder handy!:p Dinners were a bit uncomfortable as our glasses actually would jitter back and forth a few times. We didn't get sick but I remember alot of people looking for the bags. Hope it never happens to me again.

No one has address another part of the question. What happens if we have to fly in to say Miami from Washington DC and the airline grounds the flight? Do we go as soon as we can? Does the cruise line try to get us connected with the ship on some island and they pay for it? Or do they just say if you aren't there, you missed out. Use your insurance if you have it.

Linda

No one has address another part of the question. What happens if we have to fly in to say Miami from Washington DC and the airline grounds the flight? Do we go as soon as we can? Does the cruise line try to get us connected with the ship on some island and they pay for it? Or do they just say if you aren't there, you missed out. Use your insurance if you have it.

Linda

Can anyone tell me about cancelled flights because of hurricanes?

Linda

Linda

That depends on how your airfare was arranged. If through the cruise line, the line will get you to the next port so you can meet up with the ship (and the line will pay for it). If you booked on your own, you have to either call the insurance broker and work it out with them (if you have insurance) or pay for your own tickets to meet up with the ship. If that next port is not in the US and you are a US citizen who was planning on using a birth certificate instead of a passport, flying to meet the cruise probably won't be an option (if you somehow miss the ship again you can't fly back to the US).

We were scheduled to sail out of Miami on Sunday Oct 23,2005 and Wilma was bearing down on all our ports as well as Miami. We had gone to Miami 2 days ahead as our son was getting married on the cruise. Carnival contacted all of us--in different locations on our cells and told us we would go out very early that a.m. instead. Talk about scrambling. Our daughter-in-law had to have us do her hair as no salon was open that early--rental cars had to go back and several of the wedding party had to change air flights--coming from MI. We all made it and the funny thing was that we got to the ship at 7 a.m. as they had instructed and we did not leave until 4:45--45 minutes after original time. We had all of our ports hit so were rerouted to eastern carib instead of western. Lots of those beautiful white bags on the rails. Everyone appeared to be drunk as they walked because you were thrown from side to side as you walked the halls. Made a great wedding story

I had a classmate who was stuck on a ship for several extra days. Apparently Frances and Ivan popped up out of nowhere while they were out there, so all there was left for the captain to do was go WAY out away from the storms and wait it out.

She said it was miserable. Rough seas, wind and rain as far as the eye could see. The ship was running out of food, fresh water, and the toilets were backing up. They had to start rationing water and everything else by the time it was over. She could only make one satellite call to her family and then beg them to call everyone else, including the school and her job. She missed an entire week of school.

I had a classmate who was stuck on a ship for several extra days...She said it was miserable. Rough seas, wind and rain as far as the eye could see. The ship was running out of food, fresh water, and the toilets were backing up. They had to start rationing water and everything else by the time it was over.

Perhaps your friend exaggerated just a bit.

1 - Cruise ships routinely carry food well beyond what they need for any given itinerary and while they may, if kept at sea beyond the scheduled itinerary, run out of some fresh food items, they hardly run out of food.

2 - How could they have run out of fresh water? Cruise ships make their own.

3 - The toilets were backing up? Because of the hurricane? Huh?

Perhaps your friend exaggerated just a bit.

1 - Cruise ships routinely carry food well beyond what they need for any given itinerary and while they may, if kept at sea beyond the scheduled itinerary, run out of some fresh food items, they hardly run out of food.

2 - How could they have run out of fresh water? Cruise ships make their own.

3 - The toilets were backing up? Because of the hurricane? Huh?

I have to agree with you here - we were on the Navigator at this same time period (right inbetween Frances and Ivan) and it was the smoothest cruise imagineable. Plenty of good food and water, no plumbing problems either. Our best cruise to date :D ! Ivan came in two days behind us and wiped out many of the ocean-front stores in Grand Cayman, we hope to be there next week!

Archived