Voucher problem

fud2468

At least one other thread deals with unusable (for the cruiser) vouchers but our case is a little different. We were to have taken our first cruise ever, on Infinity to Alaska, last September from San Francisco. After many weeks of uncertainty about whether or not the trip would be cancelled, it was cancelled 2 weeks before we were to leave. We lost out on money we had to spend for the care of my disabled son during our scheduled absence. We were nevertheless very happy to receive a full refund as well as vouchers for a replacement trip. We booked for the Sept 2-07 Infinity cruise to Alaska--never mind that we now had to pay for airfare to Vancouver to get to the ship--and paid a deposit to book (I expect we will be out that as well). We were told that we would be informed when to send in the vouchers.

On July 9 I was called and was told the total price needed to be paid at once. When I then brought up the vouchers I was told to send them in, which I did by registered mail the same day.

Today I called up to find out about not getting documents and was told the vouchers had never been received. I had sent the originals on July 9 and was told I could not now send copies, only originals would do! After some switching around I was told to call back in a week and the matter MIGHT be straightened out.

Though not all the evidence is in, I feel X is acting like an insurance company that finds loopholes to justify not paying a claim. By the way I did not expect or demand vouchers in the first place; they were sent to me.

Part of me would like to put this down to poor management, but I am doubtful as of now.

Ray Mac.

If you sent it registered mail, does that mean you have a return receipt to show that it was delivered? That might help your case.

I'm sorry things are difficult for you in this situation. When I tried to redeem vouchers, I had a very good experience. However, it didn't turn good until I had called numerous times and found an individual in customer service who seemed happy to help. From then on, I specifically requested her for ALL correspondense, and I refused to work with anybody else. I also never assumed that things were okay, and kept checking my balance due online and calling until the vouchers were applied.

I know that it shouldn't be that difficult, and that we should be able to trust people to do their jobs properly. Unfortunately, with any company in any field, I find that is not a safe proposition. My boss gave me incredibly sage advice when I first started working for her. She said "Always assume that they are all incompetent idiots." It's true, more often than not, and the worst that happens is that you are pleasantly surprised if they turn out to be smart or competent... If they meet your low expectations, you are prepared to catch the balls they drop...

At least one other thread deals with unusable (for the cruiser) vouchers but our case is a little different. We were to have taken our first cruise ever, on Infinity to Alaska, last September from San Francisco. After many weeks of uncertainty about whether or not the trip would be cancelled, it was cancelled 2 weeks before we were to leave. We lost out on money we had to spend for the care of my disabled son during our scheduled absence. We were nevertheless very happy to receive a full refund as well as vouchers for a replacement trip. We booked for the Sept 2-07 Infinity cruise to Alaska--never mind that we now had to pay for airfare to Vancouver to get to the ship--and paid a deposit to book (I expect we will be out that as well). We were told that we would be informed when to send in the vouchers.

On July 9 I was called and was told the total price needed to be paid at once. When I then brought up the vouchers I was told to send them in, which I did by registered mail the same day.

Today I called up to find out about not getting documents and was told the vouchers had never been received. I had sent the originals on July 9 and was told I could not now send copies, only originals would do! After some switching around I was told to call back in a week and the matter MIGHT be straightened out.

Though not all the evidence is in, I feel X is acting like an insurance company that finds loopholes to justify not paying a claim. By the way I did not expect or demand vouchers in the first place; they were sent to me.

Part of me would like to put this down to poor management, but I am doubtful as of now.

Ray Mac.

At least (1) you have copies of the vouchers and (2) you used registered mail. If you did not ask for a return receipt for the registered mail, go immediately to the post office where you sent the letter from. They can get you a copy of the signature from when the letter was received. It might take a week or two for them to get it to you though. If you have the receipt from when you sent it with the registered number that will make it easier, but even if you don't have that, the post office you sent it from will be able to trace it. Every time a registered letter changes hands, it must be logged and signed for by the postal workers.

John

travel agents have the ability to apply vouchers/coupons thru the Celebrity travel agent site. It would have been done online and unless the cruise line asks for it, nothing is mailed. That is one case where having a travel agent would have been a plus. I hope you get this straightened out.

I did not ask for a return receipt when I sent the vouchers, but thanks for the suggestion to take the receipts I do have to the post office and pursue things further.

To keep my post shorter, I did not mention that when I originally received the vouchers I immediately went to a local travel agency. I was told they did not want to deal with arrangements because it was a losing proposition for them (and I can now see why!). I was told I should deal directly with Celebrity.

Time will tell.

Ray Mac.

Sorry to hear about your ordeal.

My advise to anyone is to 1. make copies of the vouchers. 2. Fax a copy of the vouchers to the coupon redemption center # listed on the back of the vouchers. 3. send registered or return reciept. A voucher is like cash, and I for sure wouldn't send something that valuable with out insurance. 4. follow up with a phone call 3 or 4 days later to see if they have been recieved.

The few times I have used vouchers they applied them as soon as they recieved the fax. However I mail them anyway as a back up.

I hope it all works out for you. However its live and learn nowadays with just about everything.

Dave:eek:

We had TA fax our vouchers in 2 weeks before final payment was due and for the entire 2 weeks we were told they hadn't been applied. No one knew anything. On the final payment date my TA called them and said "I'm deducting the amount of the voucher from what they owe" and VOILA! They magically appeared on X's computer system.

I am having trouble getting promised vouchers. When confined to cabin due to illness we were promised vouchers. Did not ask nor expect them. We then received a letter saying that we would receive vouchers in a few weeks. This was followed by a phone call from customer service that vouchers were being processed and we would receive them by the end of May. I have called every week or so since June and to date , no vouchers. Supposedly, they are in the mail and should be received by Monday.

I feel this is really stupid on their part. I would have never asked for compensation, but once it was promised several times -- I want it!

If I ever get them, can they be used for the Quest?

...My boss gave me incredibly sage advice when I first started working for her. She said "Always assume that they are all incompetent idiots." It's true, more often than not, and the worst that happens is that you are pleasantly surprised if they turn out to be smart or competent... If they meet your low expectations, you are prepared to catch the balls they drop...
How true it is:(
Why do they even have to send you vouchers? Why can't they just have in their computer system that they owe you X number of dollars towards a cruise? I hope it's not that they're hoping that you'll lose them/forget about them.
My Discover credit card will double my cash rebates toward a Celebrity cruise, but you have to use one specified travel agency. I have never had any problem getting the vouchers from Discover, and I have always gotten good service from the TA [responsive, friendly, no dropped balls], but WHY does Discover insist on mailing me the vouchers and then have me mail them to their required TA when a simple computer transfer would be far easier. Yep, that they are hoping that the vouchers would get lost somewhere has crossed my mind.

Warmwinds, I agree! After some switching around on the phone and getting to a supervisor, I was asked for my original booking number as it appeared on my voucher copy. I was then told that they did have it on record that the vouchers had been issued by them. Seems like a no-brainer for them to do it the simple way.

Maybe it's like having a rebate that you have to mail in--the company hopes you then won't go to the trouble.

Npb, it looks like your situation is more complicated than mine. Good luck!

Again, vouchers were not something we expected or demanded in the first place, but once we got them we assumed they would be honored.

Ray Mac

Archived