Checking in without giving your info on line...

BluIDblonde

I agree that it's not good to give out your personal information; BUT

It's much more dangerous to give your credit card to a waiter who disappears for 20 minutes (and can copy the information), or give all of your personal information to a MVD employee (who can sell it with little or no risk of being fired in many states).

I think there is a much greater threat of identity theft at restaurants. hotels, and from government records and government offices, than from secure internet sites.

BUT THERE ARE SOME IMPORTANT EXCEPTIONS. Don't put personal information over a non-secure wireless connection. Also, don't put personal information on public computers (e.g. libraries and internet cafes ) where someone could be recording keystrokes.

Or you can enter all your information on the Princess Cruise Personalizer, with the exception of your credit card info, and check in at the port without problems. Entering your credit card info allows you to be able to print your documents and have them ready at the time of check in - not having your documents in hand, just means a few more minutes of paper work at the Princess port - no big deal.

I would not be so hesitant to fill out the online forms. I have done this literally hundreds of times without incident. E-Commerce is secure and safe when one uses reasonable caution. Make sure you are dealing with a reputable company (despite some customer service complaints Princess qualifies :D ) before you fill out the forms make sure your connection is secure, the start of the web address will be https:// rather than http:// and make sure the web address is correct, one of the big scams is diverting you, mostly by email, to a very similar address.

Caution is a good thing but overdone it can leave you stranded in the previous century.

I agree that it's not good to give out your personal information; BUT

It's much more dangerous to give your credit card to a waiter who disappears for 20 minutes (and can copy the information), or give all of your personal information to a MVD employee (who can sell it with little or no risk of being fired in many states).

I think there is a much greater threat of identity theft at restaurants. hotels, and from government records and government offices, than from secure internet sites.

An excellent comment. I recently read of a portable credit card swipe gadget that's available for table use. A few restaurants have started using them.

We need to badger our favorite restaurants to obtain them.

Government records are my second gripe. The idiots keep "losing" their laptops with tons of citizen's data, including the ever popular social security numbers.

Or you can enter all your information on the Princess Cruise Personalizer, with the exception of your credit card info, and check in at the port without problems. Entering your credit card info allows you to be able to print your documents and have them ready at the time of check in - not having your documents in hand, just means a few more minutes of paper work at the Princess port - no big deal.

I do the same a Vanilla. My rule of thumb is the fewer times I give out personal info the better. I only give any of it including phone number until necessary.

They do need your passport/immigration info to help with the manifest other than that they can wait until I am at the port ready to board.:)

I may change my mind about going or how I will secure the onboard account.

Archived