Victoria Questions

We will be in Victoria for one day in the middle of September. The 2 places we would like to visit are the Butchart Gardens, and Craigdarroch Castle. Would it be a good idea to rent a car for the day, or would we be better off taking tours? I couldn't find any tours that go to both, so we were thinking of doing them on our own. Also, if we were to rent a car, are there places near the cruise terminal?

Do you know if visits to those places would take all day? We will be in Victoria from 8a.m. to 5p.m.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

You can get out to Butchart's via Greyline Bus Company. It's $7.00 each way and you catch the bus in front of the Empress Hotel. This is not a tour but a scheduled run so you can catch the bus back into town at your convenience. You could get to Craigdarroch Castle via taxi from downtown (should only be around $10). You could spend just a couple of hours at the Gardens or all day - it really depends on your preference and how long you want to stay out there.

& the Castle will only take a small bite our of your time compared to the Gardens. If you are comfortable driving in a Medium sized city and some rural roads. I would recommend a rental. I'm sure there are agencies downtown which you can get too via shuttle from the dock pretty easy.

You can get out to Butchart's via Greyline Bus Company. It's $7.00 each way and you catch the bus in front of the Empress Hotel. This is not a tour but a scheduled run so you can catch the bus back into town at your convenience. You could get to Craigdarroch Castle via taxi from downtown (should only be around $10). You could spend just a couple of hours at the Gardens or all day - it really depends on your preference and how long you want to stay out there.

Do you know if there's a web link to the schedule of when the bus runs to/from Butchart Gardens?

Hi, is the Empress walkable from the port? I will be there in

October and the double deck bus sounds perfect:D

Yes, it is walkable. It's a very pleasant 20-25 minute walk on flat terrain through a residential neighborhood. BUT, it depends on what you're accustomed to. Our friend found it too much and wouldn't do it again.

If you decide not to walk, there will be taxis and shuttles at the pier.

Yes, it is walkable. It's a very pleasant 20-25 minute walk on flat terrain through a residential neighborhood. BUT, it depends on what you're accustomed to. Our friend found it too much and wouldn't do it again.

If you decide not to walk, there will be taxis and shuttles at the pier.

ell52, Thank you for the reply. I live in Florida and the entire

state is FLAT;)

If it is nice outside a 1/2 hour walk would be ok...do you happen

to know the price of the shuttles and cabs?

Gotta love these boards:)

And I want to see the Famous Empress Hotel too!

Another question..sorry....do you know if the Double Decker bus is

the mode of transportation or is it just a regular bus?

I went to the Empress Website and clicked on tours...seems there are

several offerings.

Would you know anything about it? Well...that was 2 questions!

Sorry, I don't know the cost of the shuttles and taxis. I just know there were plenty around when we were got off the ship.

The Double Decker buses are special touring buses. The ones that operate from in front of the Empress Hotel are run by Grayline.

Here is a link to their -- > Victoria Bus Tours.

I believe some of the other (non-city) tours may be on regular buses.

The fastest and most convenient way to the gardens is by "The Butchart Shuttle" it leaves the bus depot every half hour. The cost is 7.00 each way and it takes 35 to 40 min. to get there. Transit busses go there but can take over 1hr with routing stops etc. By the way the bus depot is located behind the Empress Hotel......... very easy to find. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, is the Empress walkable from the port? I will be there in

October and the double deck bus sounds perfect:D

Hi Lois,

I see you on the boards all the time and find your comments always delightful. I hope we sail together someday. I don't recall ever responding to one of your queries, but I think I can add a bit of info for you, here.

I'm including a nice map link of downtown Victoria:

http://tourismvictoria.com/Content/EN/1066.asp

If you use that link, it takes you to a map that shows the downtown core, the Inner Harbour (around/near which SO much of the city activity occurs). It also clearly shows the Ogden Point Cruise Ship Terminal where your vessel will dock.

Walking into downtown can happen over most of those streets. A nice walk is to take Oswego over to Belleville, turn east to Government St., and head north on Government. Taking this route takes you through lovely residential neighborhoods and past the iconic parliament buildings right to the equally iconic Empress Hotel.

Have a GREAT time, I know from reading the Boards that you ALWAYS do!

CM

P.S. The map prints well, too. I just printed one off this morning to give to members of my September cruise group.

CelebrityMan, thanks for the link to the map:)

And thanks for the kind words! I appreciate them.

And I see you are sailing on Mercury next month:D

I have to wait until October:eek: ...oh, that is only 2 more months!

I hope you have a great cruise too:). This will be my 4th and

5th times sailing Mercury. She is a wonderful ship with a fantastic

crew!

And who knows, maybe our paths will cross one day on an

X ship:)

Hi Lois,

Glad to help!! :D

We've been sailing with Celebrity for 10 years, since the maiden season of Mercury. We, too, have been on Mercury many times and love the ship.

I'll be taking a bunch of pics in September and posting them as soon as I can on my Webshots page. I'll try to remember to post a link here so you can see more of Victoria.

Cheers!

CM

Oh wow:D ...You have sailed her since she came into service?

Do you have a favorite waiter???

When I sailed her back in March there were 6, yes 6 waiters

who had all been my waiters on prior cruises:D

Talk about coming home again:) it was a wonderful week for me!!!

And it was my birthday as well!

Hi Lois,

...no, I wouldn't say we have favorite waiters. There was one many years back that was one of our best. Dainus was his name, and he was from Estonia. He had so much fun with us and our table that the sectional Maitre d' gave him cutting looks.... LOL He admitted later that he was scolded for showing too much favoritism to one table.

It has been awhile since we sailed Mercury, and we're anxious to be aboard the ol' belle of the water again. I'm very anxious to see what was done in her last drydock with the aft balconies and the replacement of soft goods and bedding.

Cal

I sailed her right before the drydock. I went in March and the drydock

was in April.

I can tell you a bartender named Juro will be on board. He used

to be in the Martini Bar but is now up at the Oasis Bar (you know,

Portside AFT beyond the Buffet;) ).

Should you see him, please give him a big hello from me!:D If you look

at my photos on Flickr in my signature you will see me with him

in the Martini Bar. He is from Croatia....they are the March 18-26

Mexican Riveria Photos.

Thanks!:)

I see you signed your name..so I will call you CAL...is that ok?:)

I can tell you a bartender named Juro will be on board. He used

to be in the Martini Bar but is now up at the Oasis Bar (you know,

Portside AFT beyond the Buffet;) ).

Should you see him, please give him a big hello from me!:D If you look

at my photos on Flickr in my signature you will see me with him

in the Martini Bar. He is from Croatia....

Thanks!:)

I see you signed your name..so I will call you CAL...is that ok?:)

Hi Lois,

Certainly, you can call me "Cal." That's why I signed my name.

I'll try to remember to look for Juro (gosh, that name sounds familiar!). I know how much hospitality staff enjoy being remembered by past passengers. He'll get a kick out of it.

Yup, I know the spot, the Oasis Palm Springs Bar. I love hanging out back there in the pool area.

Cal

You can let him know I will be back in October too:D (if you see him)

and yes, I agree~it is always great passing on good wishes

from other pax!

Archived