Help! Need to justify getting a GS

OK - I did it - went and spent an extra $200 for the GS on Grandeur 5 day to Bermuda. I'm going with my 80+ parents and my husband doesn't know yet that I upgraded from the JS to the GS. I figured my parents would spend as much time in the room as on deck and would appreciate the larger cabin. Husband was ok when I upgraded the balcony room to the JS for $200 more - I just need help in justifying another $200 for the GS. Tell me I did the right thing!

Are you sharing the GS with your parents? :rolleyes: Is you DH going also? If the answer is yes, then you will need the extra room. I cannot imagine sharing a stateroom with my parents.:eek:

Agreed! If the 4 of you are actually sharing the GS, I suggest looking at the prices for 2 balcony cabins.

###

Yes, I'm sharing the room. Both are in so-so health and this is kind of my "gift" to them. I don't mean to sound all self-sacrificing but they wouldn't go if I didn't. My sister and family are in another stateroom and invited my parents to go - I thought it would be a nice treat for them. My husband is not going with us but thinks it's a great idea the three of us are. I'm just not sure I've made a sound decision upgrading to the GS for the extra money.

Yes, I'm sharing the room. Both are in so-so health and this is kind of my "gift" to them. I don't mean to sound all self-sacrificing but they wouldn't go if I didn't. My sister and family are in another stateroom and invited my parents to go - I thought it would be a nice treat for them. My husband is not going with us but thinks it's a great idea the three of us are. I'm just not sure I've made a sound decision upgrading to the GS for the extra money.

Okay, for the three of you, I say yes the GS will be great :D

###

It is worth every square penny for the extra space. I took my mom and aunt on Rhapsody (Granduer's sister) a year and a half ago. I originally booked a JS and then upgraded to a GS - it was worth every penny. We only had 3 adults sharing, if we'd added a 4th person we would've had issues. The GS is 349 square feet with a 107 square foot balcony. The JS is only 245 sqaure feet with a 58 square foot balcony. In addition, the GS has a large curtain which can be dragged between the bed and the sofa bed - creating more privacy for both sleeping areas. I'm not sure if the JS on Granduer has a curtain or not.

Thanks - that's good news about the curtain providing privacy, I thought it had one based on the virtual tour but I wasn't sure.

No problem. As adult children used to being independent from our parents, a little privacy goes a long way.:)

OK - I did it - went and spent an extra $200 for the GS on Grandeur 5 day to Bermuda. I'm going with my 80+ parents and my husband doesn't know yet that I upgraded from the JS to the GS. I figured my parents would spend as much time in the room as on deck and would appreciate the larger cabin. Husband was ok when I upgraded the balcony room to the JS for $200 more - I just need help in justifying another $200 for the GS. Tell me I did the right thing!

You did the right thing.

$200 total more for five days is $40 a day. There are three of you, so that's $13.33 per day more per person. Definitely a good upgrade.

I don't know about others but I can recall a few times when my parents shelled out a few $$$ for me and my family especially when time were tough. Now that I can afford it, it's time for paybacks. My Dad passed away a few years back so Mom is on a budget, not poor but won't spend money on luxury so last year we booked her on a trip with us, called her up and told her she was going our treat. She hasn't stopped talking about that trip yet. GREAT MEMORY for both of us. They brought us into this world and cared for us, now it's our turn to take car of them. Enjoy

For the DH tell him I said it was OK.:)

Under the circumstances, I would most definitely stick with the GS.

We had the JS on the Grandeur and it does not have a curtain. Didn't need it however, because my parents were next door.

I guess if my husband was not along for the cruise, then I could share a GS with my parents. It does have the curtain! Like your parents, mine will not (should not) cruise alone anymore. I am just not sure that they would want to share a stateroom with me. :D

If your parents were able, I agree that getting two regular balconies would make more sense, because you would have the two bathrooms.

Have fun!

I'm trying to do the same thing and every pricing I start with the balcony and end right up with the GS and try to think how I can explain the cost to DH. Sure we can afford it, we've always chosen not to spend the $$ on more than a balcony.

I'm just going to pull the... hey, this is very special for me and mom, might not get the chance to go again... so I'm putting us in a suite.... wish you were going too hon... thanks for understanding;)

my DH would just roll his eyes and say "you could have gone for 2 weeks in an inside cabin for the same price".:rolleyes:

Time with elderly parents is too short, just hug your DH and thank him for understanding(how could he not?):D

You absolutely did the right thing in upgrading. I, too, travel with my parents. Dad uses a wheelchair to get around and both parents have some health issues. They spend a LOT of time in the cabin and the extra space is most welcome. You will appreciate the privacy afforded by the curtain as everyone tries to dress on formal night!

I agree with other posters who say it's nice to be able to treat your parents to something special. I was able to use airline miles to get first-class airfare for all 3 of us for our upcoming Serenade cruise. And I covered the difference to upgrade us to an OS this time.

Enjoy your suite!

Susan

Thanks for all your replies! Yes, I am going with my 83 year old parents - husband is NOT going so it is just the three of us. I'm so glad you mentioned about no curtain in the JS - the photo online shows one so I assumed there was one. We're a close family but not THAT close .:D That makes the GS decision a no-brainer! All your comments about spending time with elderly parents were appreciated - thank you nimbex1970.

I told my husband this morning about the extra cost - and was pleasantly surprised. No biggy.

Thanks again for all your support - I can't wait. This cruise will most probably be my parents last - they haven't travelled in 8 years - so I really want them to enjoy it!

Thanks for all your replies! Yes, I am going with my 83 year old parents - husband is NOT going so it is just the three of us. I'm so glad you mentioned about no curtain in the JS - the photo online shows one so I assumed there was one. We're a close family but not THAT close .:D That makes the GS decision a no-brainer! All your comments about spending time with elderly parents were appreciated - thank you nimbex1970.

I told my husband this morning about the extra cost - and was pleasantly surprised. No biggy.

Thanks again for all your support - I can't wait. This cruise will most probably be my parents last - they haven't travelled in 8 years - so I really want them to enjoy it!

Great news!! I hope all of you have a wonderful time making memories :D :D

###

I'm so glad you mentioned about no curtain in the JS - the photo online shows one so I assumed there was one. We're a close family but not THAT close .:D That makes the GS decision a no-brainer! All your comments about spending time with elderly parents were appreciated - thank you nimbex1970.

!

The photos show a "faux" curtain in the JS. It is really just a 3' wide divider between the sofa to the bed.

IMO, you don't need to justify it at all! What a nice thing you are doing for your parents. That alone should be all the justification you need, but if you need more, how about this: You're simply "paying" back a little of all the good things they did for you when you were younger; now it's their turn.

Go, enjoy every minute, and treasure the memories you will make.:D

beachchick

p.s., $200 total for the three of you is an incredible deal, IMO.

Archived