Ecuador - Quito & Vicinity

ShipsandDipper

Hello, all!

We are planning our honeymoon for November, Ecuador & the Galapagos. We have three days in Quito. Besides touring Quito itself, we aren't sure what would be best to do. We have to be in Quito to fly out to the islands on Saturday, so unfortunately we can't visit the big Saturday Otavalo market. Maybe Cotopaxi National Park? Bellavista Cloud Forest Reserve?

Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks

We did Quito/Galapagos this past December - with three extra days in Quito.

GO to Otavalo, doesn't matter that it's not a Saturday. We visited on a non-Saturday and enjoyed it very much. Bring lots of small bills. We did a tour which also took us to a weaver's and musician's house and included a native lunch. It was a great day.

Our other full day we spent around Quito. We went to the "real" Equator monument - and liked it a lot. It has experiments and is not as touristy as the one that is official, but not actually on the equator.

Our last full day we spent at a spa in the clouds - Papajacta. It was nice and relaxing, because we'd been go-go-go the entire trip.

We set up these trips with Lindblad, the operator we used for our cruise around the Galapagos.

Don't forget that Nov. 2 (All Saints Day) and 3 (Cuenca's Independence day) are national holidays. We went last november during that Holiday and stayed at a wonderful hosteria outside of Otavalo on Lake San Pablo (get reservations early because there are a lot of local (ecuadorian) tourist). You'll get great deals in Otovalo and like another poster said, you don't have to go on Saturday.

Other options:

1.Cotachi for leather goods (great handbags $30 - $40, Womens leather jacket $60., etc.).

2.Ibarra, Laguna Cuicocha for sightseeing and San Antonio de Ibarra for great wooden crafts

3.Middle of the World, as you probably know they have since found out that they made a mistake about the location, but at the monument they have museums and shops and if you go toward Otovalo your driver can stop and show you the "real" middle of the world

I've been to Quito before, but had to try the "Teleferico" but it was just OK. I definately wouldn't stay in Quito for 3 days. But one night if you have a good guide or driver you should go to the old part of the city and if you can eat the the restaurant at Teatro Sucre at night, it's great. If you come late in November don't forget that Quito will be gearing up for their Founders day celebrations on Dec. 6, and they really go all out, even bull-fighting (never been and don't know if I would like it, but they've got it)

If you have specific questions I'll try to help, but I usually don't get to Quito except for a couple times a year and don't usually do the tourist thing unless we've got visitors from overseas.

Tish in EC

Please be careful with the altitude (approx 9500 ft-almost twice as high as Denver). And make sure you have good sunblock-the sun burns ferociously.

AMS (altitude sickness) is NOT a pleasant thing to get. If you are not used to the altitude, take it VERY easy the first day or two. And do a Google search for precautions. The most common prescription drug, Diamoxx, can only be taken by some.

Cotacachi is an artisan's dream-leather works, wood workers, quite a few American ex pats live around there. To learn more about Cotacachi and what it offers, please see this website: http://www.garyascott.com/2002/01/11/784.html

The Scotts have a fantastic B & B and are residents about 1/2 the year. Enjoy!!!

I forgot to mention a GREAT restaurant - Mare Nostrum. It is run by a chef who is Ecuadorian but trained in Montreal (a great restaurant city.) There is a dish that I cannot remember the name of, but is a sampling of many seafood entrees - chef's choice. A couple who had traveled with us recommended both the restaurant and the dish. They were right. And, we are right.... you'll love it (assuming you like seafood.)

We went to the other "famous" restaurant in Quito, it was on a Plaza, and I can't remember the name! It was the one with the reputation as the "best." It was good, but not as good as Mare Nostrum.

In my opinion, the beef was not very good in any of the places we ate in Ecuador. Not aboard the Lindblad Polaris, and not in that famous (expensive) restaurant. It could be just where and what we ate, but I suspect you should save your orders of steak for other countries. In contrast, I just this week got back from Peru, and my mom had a great Osso Bucco at La Rosa Nautica.

Great, thanks everyone, I'm writing all these ideas down and checking them out!

We're actually going to be there mid-November, so no worries about national holidays. And I don't feel too bad about missing the opportunity to see bullfighting.:)

Sunblock is a good thing to remember. Luckily we go up in the mountains here sometimes and haven't been too affected by altitude sickness (knock on wood). That's one advantage to starting from a mile high -- it's only a mile more up, rather than two!

edited to add -- Oops, I just realized my sig block doesn't show my location. We're from Denver.

Even though you can get good seafood in Quito, since you are going to the Galapagos I would definately recommend it there. Quito is not close to any ports, so the seafood is not as fresh.

In general the beef in EC is not prepared like the steaks we are used to in the US, but you can get good choices.

I highly recommend pork dishes, especially local things like hornado o fritada.

If you are adventurous and want to try something very different, try CUY, it's Guinea pig, once you get over the idea of eating it, it really is quite good.

Tish in EC

I tried Cuy. It didn't taste like chicken. It was tough and gamy, and aside from any issues with eating a pet - I prefer other meats.

FYI, after eating the Cuy (this was in Otavalo,) we asked if we could see where the guinea pigs are kept in the kitchen. I thought it would be an interesting photo to show the cages of guinea pigs... The establishment took my husband (and two others) back to the kitchen to show them. There were no cages. The guinea pigs were running loose on the floor.

I don't think there were any serious sanitary issues with eating the Cuy since it was deep fried, but what about the other things in that kitchen??

In any case, the seafood at Mare Nostrum was exceptional. I particularly loved the octopus. It was the first time I had eaten it, and it was fantastic. I've had it since, and not liked it as well.

when eating in EC. Obviously there isn't the same high standards in the food industry. I've never thought cuy taste like chicken and I have seen lots of "gringos" trying it and apparently enjoying it. I wouldn't eat it every day, but if one is inclined to try new things it is one I would recommend. As far as restaurants are concerned, it's always best to use ones that are recommended and never eat out of carts in the streets.

Octopus is great, but very hard to cook, I have tried many different recipes but can never get quite right.

Unless you've seen it before or are not "grossed out" by things never go to the food markets, especially the meat/chicken/fish areas.

Tish in EC

• 7 months later...

Any specific recommendations on hiring a driver/company for one day in Quito? We'd like to go to the "real equator" monument and the touristy one, too, and find a good wine shop if we could . . . other than that, not sure what to best do with our one day or how to find a good driver in advance.

[quote name=Tish in EC;

3.Middle of the World' date=' as you probably know they have since found out that they made a mistake about the location, but at the monument they have museums and shops and if you go toward Otovalo your driver can stop and show you the "real" middle of the worldTish in EC[/quote]

Really, exactly where is this? I have been to Otovalo.

Archived