"Snorkeling" with the Sharks

Joopman

Port-of-Call - Nassau

I am looking for an excursion involving me Snorkeling/Swim with Sharks.

Of course, there are several Scuba with the Sharks adventures, but I am just interested in a snorkeling adventure.

It has been about 20 years since I have been to Nassau, but I can remember the abundance of sharks off the West End.

I have already done the Swim with the Stingrays thing a couple times and that is now boring to me. I would love some semi-safe action footage of me and some sharks.

I also want to clarify that I would like an organized tour and not a . . . "Ohhh, You want to see some sharks? Bobby will take you out to see some sharks".:D

My daughter and I went snorkeling with Staurt's and were able to snorkel with the sharks. This was an great experience and something I will never forget. You do two regular sessions and then you go to a third spot and spend about ten minutes in the water on a rope line watching the sharks watch you.

Port-of-Call - Nassau

I am looking for an excursion involving me Snorkeling/Swim with Sharks.

Of course, there are several Scuba with the Sharks adventures, but I am just interested in a snorkeling adventure.

It has been about 20 years since I have been to Nassau, but I can remember the abundance of sharks off the West End.

I have already done the Swim with the Stingrays thing a couple times and that is now boring to me. I would love some semi-safe action footage of me and some sharks.

I also want to clarify that I would like an organized tour and not a . . . "Ohhh, You want to see some sharks? Bobby will take you out to see some sharks".:D

Stuart Cove does a shark snorkel every day. weather permitted.

www.stuartcove.com

We just returned this morning from the Sensation and snorkeled with Stuart Cove on Friday. It was a fantastic snorkel trip.

The pickup location is literally straight out the front gate. Transportation both to and from the shop was efficient and comfortable. As for the snorkeling, we did get to snorkel all three sites, since the weather was great. The first reef was good, the second reef was fantastic. Then the crew took us over to a spot where one of the crew could find a starfish for us to look at. The third spot where we snorkeled with the sharks was awesome! There were probably about 20 sharks swimming about 12-15 feet below us; much closer than I anticipated but they were so oblivious to us that I really wasn't scared of them.

The trip had a crew of four. My DH is a diver and doesn't usually do snorkel trips, but since we had the kids with us, he joined us snorkeling. He was VERY impressed with the reef snorkel sites, the professionalism of the crew and the whole operation. He wants to go back for a dive trip with them.

I can't say what photo equipment they have. I know that they rent various digital underwater cameras and different lenses. I'm sure they would be happy to answer any questions if you called them directly. Lots of people brought their own cameras and the crew made sure they had an opportunity to photograph/video everything.

Stuart Cove does not film your snorkle trip. They do on dives. In April, I counted 37 sharks in view at once. Several came within a few feet cruising by, terrific experince. Top notch operation, sit up front and you can get a nice tour from the bus driver as you go across the island. We got dropped off near a resturant so we could get some Bahamian food, conch fritters, local beer, etc. then a short walk to dock.

We did Stuarts Cove a few years ago and LOVED it.......one of the best excursions we ever did.........very professional........I,personally, always hated swimming with the stingrays,but for some reason,I didnt mind the sharks...............

At the time, it was not offered as a ship excursion and we booked it on our own.........was nice to go to the other side of the island for a change.........

HIYA JAXXX:) --yes,you will get a vest..

heres some pics..............I think they were taken pre digital camera...:p 73152939FGwsZp_th.jpg

A little clarification on my OP.

Concerning the filming . . . will I be able to get in a good enough position IN THE WATER to be able to have a picture/video taken (by my wife) with me AND the sharks below me in the background?

I see a lot of pics of this excuresion of the sharks, but have not seen one YET of a person with the sharks in frame in the water.

i understand that you hold a rope or are tethered to a rope, thus possibly not enabling you to move in position of any ACTION shots.

Someone please explain.

The sharks will be several feet below you........they wont surface till you get back in the boat and the crew throws chum overboard.........

You do hold onto a rope and move very slowly as you get off the boat........you're only in the water a short time.

Parrothead . . .

Yes, I do understand that a rope is involved.

My question is . . . Will I be able to get into position for some shots with me in frame with the sharks below me.

If I am to hold onto a rope AT THE SURFACE or if I can't drop a few feet BELOW THE SURFACE, then a good pic/video will not be obtainable.

If I can't position myself for a camera shot, then that concerns me.

I can go online and download pics of the sharks on that excursion underwater and on the surface. I also found ONE pic of someone's fin in frame with the sharks below. That discourages me, because I would think that IF IT WERE POSSIBLE, I would see shots of people in the water with the sharks. All pics depict either the sharks or the people . . . never both.

I want action shots of "ME AND MY WiFE" in the water with the sharks in frame.

I am not trying to be difficult, and if I am appearing to be so, then I am sorry.

I just beleive this to be a simple question.

Im going on this excursion in 6 days from now. If it can be done I'll send you a picture of it. My girlfriend in no way will get near the water if there are sharks around. So I will have her (try) and take a picture of me in the water with the sharks and see how it turns out.

Ok, let me try explaining this way..........you slide off the back of the boat and hang onto the rope which extends out some.......You never let go off the rope.........you are told not to flail your arms or legs......moving very slowly to your position on the rope...........

You then put your face in the water and look down at the sharks which are far down from you(think of doing a Deads Man Float).........in fact, when we went,there were scuba divers at the bottom and the sharks were closer to them.........

They will not be close to you,except for an occasional stray,who may get about 6 ft from you.....But they will not surface,until you are back in the boat.........

So therefore,I say no.......you wont be able to get a pic of you and the sharks together.......

check this Board about 1-2 month back, someone has posted awsemoe pictures and I did see people and sharks on the background.

and do book it in advence, we unfourtunatly were not able to take this tour b/c orig. itenarery said that we arrive in Nassau at 1pm and stuarts cove will not pick you up after 12:15 i beleive. Well......our ship arrived at 10:45 or so and I called them to see if they had a space but they were completly full ....

check this Board about 1-2 month back, someone has posted awsemoe pictures and I did see people and sharks on the background.

and do book it in advence, we unfourtunatly were not able to take this tour b/c orig. itenarery said that we arrive in Nassau at 1pm and stuarts cove will not pick you up after 12:15 i beleive. Well......our ship arrived at 10:45 or so and I called them to see if they had a space but they were completly full ....

Ok,I looked back and found this thread with a few albums with pics......the only pics I see with people and sharks are when the people are back on the boat.........if you read the posts,you will see someone even saying how far down the sharks are..........

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=556372

It should be booked ahead of time because they have a bus that picks people up and if you're not on the list,they wont pick you up.........it is too far to take a regular bus on your own.......

Why not email them?? It is listed on their website.........also a place on there to check availibility for the day you want to go...

The sharks stay far enough away that getting a picture in the water with a shark in the background will be very difficult. It would be possible to get a picture after the snorkel of the sharks on the surface in the background with you in the foreground.

My pictures are available by clicking on the webshots link in my signature below.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from doing this tour. FANTASTIC! it was very professional. The 2 snorkeling sites that we went to first were just amazing. Lots of coral and fish everywhere! The third stop was my favorite though. They lower a chum bucket about 40 feet in the water and the reef sharks mostly swim around it. We had about 7 or 8 of them. There are strays that come closer to you but not close enough to get a picture of you in the water with sharks. I was lucky enough to be the first one in and the last one out. I guess after a while the sharks tend to come closer near the surface (after the chum has sorta worn out a bit). This was the most amazing part. They were coming within 3-4 feet of me! Some would call this crazy.. I call it amazing! unfortunatly it was time to get out of the water. Then they pull up the chum bucket and feed whats in there to the sharks. WOW i recomend staying near the back of the boat for that one. you can get some amazing pictures of the feeding frenzy.

hope this helps!

Archived