"Snorkeling" with the Sharks

Joopman

I have already booked the excursion with Stuart Cove since we will be in Nassau on Tuesday (aboard Sensation) -- just booked it last night to take advantage of the online discount. I am with a group of 10 people, me included. DH is scared of the water so I'm not sure if he is going in. DD9 loves to be in the water.

Can anybody who has done the snorkeling tour with Stuart Cove share some information? I would like to know how they handle the first-timers (me included). I also would like to know how they deal with people like my DH. :D Also, how do they deal with children? DD9 is quite comfortable in swimming pools but this is the first time that she will be in open water--she normally stays close to shore, of course, when we go to the beach.

I will appreciate any information you can give...

Thanks in advance,

TNC

Just returned from the Bahamas on Majesty, and we did Stuart's, including the shark swim, which was fantastic. The sharks did come up at times from 20 feet to maybe 10 feet, making some nervous - guy next to my wife kicked her hard enough to make a bruise as he was flaying around, however I didn't feel there was any real danger.

That said, I was annoyed with the crowd situation. When the bus showed up, there was not enough room, so everyone sat around for about 15 minutes while the driver rounded up a buddy with a taxi to take the overflow. Also be aware that the location is on the west tip of the island. Our drive in the hot taxi was almost an hour, and it ended up being two hours from time of pickup until the boat left the dock. I'm sure that some of this delay cut into our snorkel time, also made for a late return leaving only 30 min. to get ready for main seating formal night. I know stuff like this happens once in a while, but the boat was alos booked extremely heavily, - so much that a few people had to sit on the floor. The shark swim makes this a very desirable excursion, however I think that people should be aware of the long ride and possible crowding.

Archived