tell me about the Crown Princess?

dfishner

I have been travelling on RCL the last couple of years and yes I like them very much but have always wanted to do a Princess cruise and was reading a little about the Crown and it sounds like an awesome ship. Since they will be sailing out of Ft Lauderdale (My home town) in 08 I was honestly thinking of cancelling my Marnier cruise to try the Crown. Just so you have a clue what we like. We think the Radiance class is fantasic in reading about the Crown it kind of reminds me of that class of ship.

Anyone who has been on the Crown if you can share your experiences about her it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much

Seeing as how the whole idea of the boards here is to ask questions and get guidance, I will choose to answer your question and guide you elsewhere, rather than be offended if you do not use the search function.

Here's the link to my trip report from when I sailed on the Crown on 6/17. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=585822

DH and I truly enjoyed our cruise and found Princess to be better in service than RCI. That being said, we loved RCI too.

(Kafitty - I find your small print in your signature to be rude and offensive. You certainly do not come across as helpful. JMHO.)

I was on the Crown last summer and really enjoyed her. In fact, I will be returning to cruise the Crown next February out of San Juan. I have not cruised the Radiance class ships, but was on the Mariner and the Explorer this year. RCI seems to have a lot of activities geared toward families with kids - the rock climbing wall, in-line skating, ice skating, etc. The Crown, although family friendly, just seemd to cater more to an adult crowd. The ship itself is beautiful. I like the food better on Princess. I think you should give the Crown a try.

Seeing as how the whole idea of the boards here is to ask questions and get guidance, I will choose to answer your question and guide you elsewhere, rather than be offended if you do not use the search function.

Here's the link to my trip report from when I sailed on the Crown on 6/17. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=585822

DH and I truly enjoyed our cruise and found Princess to be better in service than RCI. That being said, we loved RCI too.

(Kafitty - I find your small print in your signature to be rude and offensive. You certainly do not come across as helpful. JMHO.)

Thanks for the pictures and your review it was helpful. I do appreciate it.

The Crown really sounds like a great ship. We are planning on going on the Crown in October and will be leaving out of Brooklyn. We will fly into Newark a few days early and visit NY. My question is...how to get back to EWR from the Brooklyn pier? Is it expensive? Thanks for the help.

Mafiamom

We are big Princess fans who have also sailed RCCL, Celebrity, NCL and Windstar, and I think the key to a good cruise is deciding in advance what is important to do -- otherwise, you may well be disappointed. If you like large atriums with parades, multi-tiered DRs ,24 hr free ice cream, ice shows, and more active pursuits such as the rock climbing wall, then Princess may not be for you. Princess has a quieter decor (most say classier), and by design has many smaller, intimate spaces (including 3 smaller DRs) so you seldom feel crowded. But we see a number of indignant reviews here on these boards from cruisers who are upset about things they could have researched in advance. My family loves Princess for its refined decor, anytime dining, MUTS, freshwater pools, 24 hr buffet, evening entertainment options, etc. -- but not everyone feels the same way. We sailed the Crown last August and enjoyed her so much we are returning for the Southern itinerary this November. Good luck with your decision.

Our family sailed on the Crown last summer and this summer we tried Explorer of the Seas. We couldn't help but make comparisons (we had balcony rooms on both ships and similar itineraries). Everyone preferred the Crown. It is a beautiful ship, had more pools to choose from, and the food was generally better.

Have fun!

The Crown really sounds like a great ship. We are planning on going on the Crown in October and will be leaving out of Brooklyn. We will fly into Newark a few days early and visit NY. My question is...how to get back to EWR from the Brooklyn pier? Is it expensive? Thanks for the help.

Mafiamom

We were on the Crown last October (and will be on it again 8/28). When we got off the ship there were lines of cars (car service) that were going to Newark airport for a flat fee of $40. I don't know if a cab would be cheaper, as they're metered and if you end up stuck in traffic then it might run higher.

Hope this helps.

Sharon H.

I was on the Crown last summer and really enjoyed her. In fact, I will be returning to cruise the Crown next February out of San Juan. I have not cruised the Radiance class ships, but was on the Mariner and the Explorer this year. RCI seems to have a lot of activities geared toward families with kids - the rock climbing wall, in-line skating, ice skating, etc. The Crown, although family friendly, just seemd to cater more to an adult crowd. The ship itself is beautiful. I like the food better on Princess. I think you should give the Crown a try.

I agree with this poster 100%. Loved our cruise on Navigator a couple of years ago and just did Crown in July. Both beautiful with excellent service but RCCL does seem to cater more to family and Crown to adults, that's not to say you won't enjoy Crown with kids. Ours was a great cruise and I would definetly recommend the Crown I was traveling with two 15yr olds who thoroughly enjoyed themselves.

We have cruised Princess (not Crown yet but sister ship) & RCI and we enjoyed both. Food was similar to us, have to give the cabins to RCI, their balcony room is like a mini suite on Princess but we enjoyed the freshwater pools on Princess better.It depends on what interests your groups have. I don't think you will be disappointed!:)

pendi

Yes, I agree this board is for questions (bring them on!) but

Kaffity signature tag just points to the search feature which is a function to aid people in finding answers. Some people don't even realize it exists. It is there for that reason.

The reviews are also a great idea, a gentleman just wrote a review on Crown comparing it to RCL. It is a perfect review for the OP's question. JMHO!

Hi all,

I have cruised mostly on RCCL, but have been on Celebrity, Carnival and took a nephew and niece on a 7-day Disney cruise. This will be my first Princess cruise. I am bringing my mother (her first ever cruise!!) and her sister and a friend are joining us as well. I do have a two-day to no where on Norwegian booked for December 2007 on the Gem out of Boston. Just want to see the ship - - brrrrrrrrrr!!!! I also have a cruise booked with some friends in April 2008 on RCCL Liberty of the Seas. Looking forward to the Princess cruise. I understand they offer open seating for dinner - - I have never done that before so giving that a try. :)

Talk soon -

Pat

Archived