Whittier Glacier Tours the Day of Departure

ladyhoneybee

Sailing from Whittier to Vancouver next summer~

It appears as though many have done either the 26 glacier tour or the Major Marine tour in Whittier prior to boarding their ship.

Our ship is set to leave at 9:30pm and the glacier tour I'm leaning toward (Major Marine) returns at 6:30. Being that I'm a first time cruiser and have pretty much no idea what to really expect , I just want to confirm that checking ourselves in to board our ship at around 6:30'ish for a 9:30 departure isn't so bad and completely fine and realistic.

I know it's 3 hours :p ~ I'm just one of those people who always likes to be where she's supposed to be in plenty of time because I always feel the need to scope things out prior to being comfortable in my new, temporary space ---

So.... jumping off the train upon arrival in Whittier and NOT boarding our cruise immediately is like taking a walk on the wild side for me :cool: (kinda like showing up to see a movie right as it is starting) However, checking in NINE HOURS prior to scheduled departure seems a bit unnecessary, even for me and these glacier tours sounds wonderful.

It is my understanding that at the railway station, we can leave our suitcases with the appropriate people and our bags will be waiting for us in when we get to our rooms. Am I correct?

As always, look forward to your responses and I appreciate your thoughts!

We took the 10:30 tunnel, checked in by noon, and went up to the lido for a light lunch. Since we had our S&S cards, we were able to walk back off the ship, go on our 4 hour Glacier cruise, then when we finished we just went through security and re-embarked the ship. It was easy, and we did not have the stress all day of thinking about the long line-up to get processed. When we got back to our cabin, all our bags were inside waiting for us and we just went down to dinner , which was open seating on the day of embarkation.

You will have a great time!

Sailing from Whittier to Vancouver next summer~

It appears as though many have done either the 26 glacier tour or the Major Marine tour in Whittier prior to boarding their ship.

Our ship is set to leave at 9:30pm and the glacier tour I'm leaning toward (Major Marine) returns at 6:30. Being that I'm a first time cruiser and have pretty much no idea what to really expect , I just want to confirm that checking ourselves in to board our ship at around 6:30'ish for a 9:30 departure isn't so bad and completely fine and realistic.

I know it's 3 hours :p ~ I'm just one of those people who always likes to be where she's supposed to be in plenty of time because I always feel the need to scope things out prior to being comfortable in my new, temporary space ---

So.... jumping off the train upon arrival in Whittier and NOT boarding our cruise immediately is like taking a walk on the wild side for me :cool: (kinda like showing up to see a movie right as it is starting) However, checking in NINE HOURS prior to scheduled departure seems a bit unnecessary, even for me and these glacier tours sounds wonderful.

It is my understanding that at the railway station, we can leave our suitcases with the appropriate people and our bags will be waiting for us in when we get to our rooms. Am I correct?

As always, look forward to your responses and I appreciate your thoughts!

Absolutely doable with NO RISK. In my opinion this is the only way to fill up a day in Whittier, compared to being on a ship. :) Far far superior in terms of sightseeing compared to anything seen from your ship.

There are differences between the various tours. Major Marine has park service rangers on board. 26 Glaciers is more of a "race" to see that number of glaciers than spending more time at any one. Prince William Sound cruises sees fewer glaciers (like Major Marine) but no park service ranger on board.

There are differences between the various tours. Major Marine has park service rangers on board. 26 Glaciers is more of a "race" to see that number of glaciers than spending more time at any one. Prince William Sound cruises sees fewer glaciers (like Major Marine) but no park service ranger on board.

I have gone with these companies, and did NOT find it a "race" with Phillips. These glaciers are very close together and you do have plenty of time for excellent glacier viewing. The Alaska Heritage capts. are superb and in my opinion, just as knowledgable as the Park Rangers. What companies have you gone with and what route???

Archived