jellyfish sting or other creature mishaps?

beccadoby

Today I took my kids to Tybee Island to the beach. My DS (9) was stung by a jellyfish and he got it BAD! Both ankles and feet - swollen red with huge welps. MAJOR pain.

So I tired to comfort him by carrying on conversation with him about our next cruise and how in those clear blue caribbean waters he wouldnt have to worry. DID I LIE TO MY SON? :o

Has anyone had problems with jellyfish or any other sea creatures while on your cruise? If so what beach?

I know it can happen and does happen just wondering if there are some beaches we should stay away from during certian times of the year. I didnt know until today (after my son was stung) that the jellyfish stings are "over the top" right now at Tybee Island - I dont watch the news!

My 17 year old son was stung by a baby jellyfish in Sapphire Beach on St. Thomas. He was out swimming with friends when all of a sudden we see him swim back to shore using only one arm. He said it hurt like crazy. Luckily there really was not much of a welt but he has a great story to tell his grandkids.

Today I took my kids to Tybee Island to the beach. My DS (9) was stung by a jellyfish and he got it BAD! Both ankles and feet - swollen red with huge welps. MAJOR pain.

So I tired to comfort him by carrying on conversation with him about our next cruise and how in those clear blue caribbean waters he wouldnt have to worry. DID I LIE TO MY SON? :o

Has anyone had problems with jellyfish or any other sea creatures while on your cruise? If so what beach?

I know it can happen and does happen just wondering if there are some beaches we should stay away from during certian times of the year. I didnt know until today (after my son was stung) that the jellyfish stings are "over the top" right now at Tybee Island - I dont watch the news!

I still have scars from a bad jellyfish sting while in Puerta Vallarta.

Jumped out of a boat and began swimming for shore between Yelapa and PV. Nearly flew back into the boat, swimming backwards. If I could have breathed, I'd have yelled JELLYFISH!

A totally clear jellyfish with loooong tentacles got me.

I have scars from my wrist to my elbow where it initally expelled it's venom. It whipped down my arm, around my waist, and across my leg. The venom eats into the adipose tissue and it never bounces back. It's been about 10 years ago.

My waist was covered with a one piece bathing suit, but my arm got the brunt of the experience, and I have smaller scarring on my lower leg.

That sounds like a man o war. My son got stung by one of those and was in terrible pain. I think they are everywhere, weve seen them in Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Mexico, and all over Florida and Texas beaches.

That sounds like a man o war. My son got stung by one of those and was in terrible pain. I think they are everywhere, weve seen them in Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Mexico, and all over Florida and Texas beaches.

So how do you know? Man o war is just big? I never saw this one but he got wrapped around both of my son's ankles and feet.

I guess the difference in here in GA and somewhere like Mexico and Grand Cayman is that in the clear waters, you can see them!

Havent been to Jamaica yet (not until dec 2008:o ). How are the waters there? Can you see a danger like this?

DH an I came back from Nassau (Did the swim with the Stinrays) both of us came back with Sea Lice. Nasty little buggers. Itch like crazy and last about two weeks. We tried everything until a friend from Florida told us to put clear finger nail polish on them. It helped instantly. Wish I had known sooner.

Yes you lied to your son.

:rolleyes: Oh thanks!

When your child is in pain, you will promise them the world.

I basically know that these creatures are in all oceans- just wondering if there are periods of time/places when and where they are worse.

I also meant that at least we can see these things coming better in the clear waters than we can in this dirty water we have for a beach.

Your poor son! That looks terribly painful! Of all the places we have sailed, I saw my first jellyfish at Costa Maya this year. It was easy to spot, and I only saw a few. I stayed in the water most of the day and did not get stung.

2239442900064948802S600x600Q85.jpg

My arm swelled up like a balloon on the plane ride home. I got stung late in the day before we were leaving the next day.

I had to go straight to the doc's and get a shot of cortizone and some oral steroids.

Man, that hurt!

Ok, this is terrible for a vacation memory.

Ammonia works great (thats why they use to tell you to pee on it!). Now you can travel with a pen like dispenser called AFTER BITE. You get it in the drug store with the bug repellent. I keep it in my beach bag, and since it looks like the size of a marker, its easy to carry. If you get a sting, rub this on it right away. If you look at the ingredients, its 100% Ammonia, so perfect!

I was in Cozumel. The snorkel guide was dragging me by my arm to look at something. I was fighting and screaming cause I was scared. The tour guide let me go right on top of coral. I was on fire. I have scars like burns on my legs above my knees. It hurt for about 2-4 weeks. Nothing made it any better.

I was about to post the same thing! Sounds like a man-o-war. My brother was stung by one at Myrtle Beach when he was a child and still has a scar. A jelly fish stings in one area because their tentacles are not that large. However, a group of jelly fish could have been the culprits that stung your son.

My husband was stung by a stingray in Florida. Talk about pain! Nearly missed the vein in his ankle.

My wife and I got back from a Carnival Destiny Cruise yesterday. While in Antigua we booked an excursion with Wadadli Cats who took us snorkeling. Upon entering the water, we quickly realized they placed us in a SCHOOL OF JELLY FISH!

My wife and I quickly exited the water. Over 1/2 the boat suffered stings. One poor girl was stung on her face and back.

Neither of us were stung because we were in the water for only about 3 minutes. The company had no plan B and still charged everyone for snorkeling despite the fact that we saw 0 fish.

I wouldn't recommend this shore excursion to anyone getting ready to go on Destiny.

The last time that I was in Tybee Island my friend also got stung by a jellyfish. The locals there told us that every other year they are really bad. I don't know whether or not that is true, but I have been to Tybee Island many times and have never gotten stung. Also, have been to the Caribbean many times and haven't been stung there either. After reading everybody else's posts, I must have just been lucky. The water that I was in at Ocho Rios, Jamaica was clear. The best water that I like was at Grand Cayman Islands. I am up at Ft. Campbell, maybe we'll see you up here at your next duty station!

Ft Campbell is only about 45 minutes away from us...we're close to Dickson, TN.

When we were in the caymans it had been raining so the water was pretty cloudy. Half Moon Cay had crystal clear water though when we went there. Sooo pretty. We saw a sting ray but stayed clear on it just to be safe. Didn't see any jelly fish though, thankfully.

I stepped on a sea urchin many years ago. When I was snorkeling in St. Maarten. It went right through my fins. Boy did that hurt. I went into the

hotel that was near the beach. They then poured hot wax on my foot. Boy did that hurt. Back on the ship I went to the Doctors and he pulled the stingers out. Except one, which got infected. Boy did that hurt. Had to get my family doctor to take that one out.

I was in Cozumel. The snorkel guide was dragging me by my arm to look at something. I was fighting and screaming cause I was scared. The tour guide let me go right on top of coral. I was on fire. I have scars like burns on my legs above my knees. It hurt for about 2-4 weeks. Nothing made it any better.

That sucks weeks of that really sucks this is why some guy out there made pools nothing living in there, at least you can see it if it is;)

A Guide was dragging you by the arm while you were Fighting & Screaming ??

:rolleyes: Oh thanks!

When your child is in pain, you will promise them the world.

Well you did lie to him. Call a spade a spade :rolleyes:

There is a product out that is supposed to repel said jellyfish and prevent them from stinging...it's called Safe Sea.

Archived