jellyfish sting or other creature mishaps?

beccadoby

Today I took my kids to Tybee Island to the beach. My DS (9) was stung by a jellyfish and he got it BAD! Both ankles and feet - swollen red with huge welps. MAJOR pain.

So I tired to comfort him by carrying on conversation with him about our next cruise and how in those clear blue caribbean waters he wouldnt have to worry. DID I LIE TO MY SON? :o

Has anyone had problems with jellyfish or any other sea creatures while on your cruise? If so what beach?

I know it can happen and does happen just wondering if there are some beaches we should stay away from during certian times of the year. I didnt know until today (after my son was stung) that the jellyfish stings are "over the top" right now at Tybee Island - I dont watch the news!

Talk about jellyfish,

On a Meditteranean cruise 2 years ago one of the islands we visited must have been overrun with the not-so-little bastards! No matter which beach we went to, there they were. Just like a scene from that video game, SPACE INVADERS!!!! :D :D :D

The Mrs swears by Safe Sea lotion, she's ordered in the past from amazon.com and she always carry it with us on our voyages. Here's a link to the product page and a pic:

http://www.amazon.com/Safe-Sea-Jellyfish-Protective-Lotion/dp/B0000Y3GDE/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/105-3425271-9090812?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1186486360&sr=8-2

Happy cruising everyone :D

2018765854_SafeSea.jpg.37672c2367f1f0eea733e7f962871d93.jpg

My wife and I got back from a Carnival Destiny Cruise yesterday. While in Antigua we booked an excursion with Wadadli Cats who took us snorkeling. Upon entering the water, we quickly realized they placed us in a SCHOOL OF JELLY FISH!

My wife and I quickly exited the water. Over 1/2 the boat suffered stings. One poor girl was stung on her face and back.

Neither of us were stung because we were in the water for only about 3 minutes. The company had no plan B and still charged everyone for snorkeling despite the fact that we saw 0 fish.

I wouldn't recommend this shore excursion to anyone getting ready to go on Destiny.

Were you on the big cat or the little cat? We were also on that excursion. Saw tons of fish....and also tons of jellyfish. Caught a few of the smaller ones on one arm. Stung like the dickens for 20 minutes, until the rum & cokes kicked in;) . I was able to avoid the big ones. It was the little ones that you couldn't see until they got you.

I also think the trick was to stay out of the crowds. My wife was pushed more that a few times by people trying to flee.

We were on the big cat. My dd was the winner of the limbo contest.

Hi beccadoby,

I live in Savannah and yes this time of year at the peak of summer the stingrays are really bad this time of year..I am sorry to hear that your son got stung I hope he is alright. What cruise are you going on next? I know on cast away cey they have nets up to keep them out so I have heard. Happy cruising!!!!

I stepped on a sea urchin many years ago. When I was snorkeling in St. Maarten. It went right through my fins. Boy did that hurt. I went into the

hotel that was near the beach. They then poured hot wax on my foot. Boy did that hurt. Back on the ship I went to the Doctors and he pulled the stingers out. Except one, which got infected. Boy did that hurt. Had to get my family doctor to take that one out.

Ouch:eek:

I stepped on a sea urchin many years ago. When I was snorkeling in St. Maarten. It went right through my fins. Boy did that hurt. I went into the

hotel that was near the beach. They then poured hot wax on my foot. Boy did that hurt. Back on the ship I went to the Doctors and he pulled the stingers out. Except one, which got infected. Boy did that hurt. Had to get my family doctor to take that one out.

Sea urchins,

they are considered a delicacy to eat by many, I tried them once but did not care much for them.

Just make sure you crack it open before you attempt to eat it! :D ;)

Happy cruising everyone :)

sea island lady, do you leave on Sea Island? I am in Brunswick

Nope, we live in TN, but I am from SC. I did however, come up with the sign-in name SIL, after a trip to the Cloister. I have been vacationing there since I was a little girl. Our last trip, was just before the River House was torn down. I have seen photo's of the new resort, but we have not been back. With the elimination of the dining plan and the high rates, I doubt we will ever return. It's just not the same down there.:(

We loved Brunswick and have said that it would be a nice place to retire. We use to live in Beaufort, SC and we felt that Brunswick is very similar in size and looks.

The wife and I have been snorkeling and swimming all over the Caribbean, and we've never been stung................yet! There is always the possibility. We have seen jellyfish, and steered clear of them.........

The wife always checks out the water before going in........if she sees ANYTHING that doesn't look right, she'll ask........me...........I just jump right in...............

I am up at Ft. Campbell, maybe we'll see you up here at your next duty station!

LOL- we just left ft campbell. WE were there for 4 years. I lived on Bell St. WE miss our church and friends so much! WE are thinking of coming the end of August to visit (the kids and I cause Hubby is already deployed again). We left Ft Campbell the last days of FEb. to go on our Disney cruise. We reported to Hunter Army Airfeild in March after our vacation. Loved Ft Campbell and didnt want to leave! The good thing is since now we are closer to the cruise ships.:D

Hi beccadoby,

I live in Savannah and yes this time of year at the peak of summer the stingrays are really bad this time of year..I am sorry to hear that your son got stung I hope he is alright. What cruise are you going on next? I know on cast away cey they have nets up to keep them out so I have heard. Happy cruising!!!!

We just moved here in March. The times we went to Tybee went to the beach by the pier. This time, I wanted to see the lighthouse. So, we went to the beach there. I felt even worse that there were no lifeguards on that beach- I had no idea.:( I saw the lifeguard stands and assumed they were walking around. My son is doing better he says the pain is gone but he still has huge purple marks on his ankles.

After he was stung, I had googled tybee and the jellfish and saw a TV news story that had just aired about how bad the jellyfish are right now. I cant watch the news because hubby is deployed and my youngest gets upset when she hears "bad stories".

Castaway Cay does have nets. We were just there the first of March. It is paradise!;)

We are doing a 4 nighter on Sensation followed by 4 days at Disneyworld in April! Hubby put in for R&R during the kids Spring break. Then, we are doing Royal Carr. - Liberty of the Seas in Dec. 2008 as a homecoming gift to DH!

The Mrs swears by Safe Sea lotion, she's ordered in the past from amazon.com and she always carry it with us on our voyages. Here's a link to the product page and a pic:

http://www.amazon.com/Safe-Sea-Jellyfish-Protective-Lotion/dp/B0000Y3GDE/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/105-3425271-9090812?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1186486360&sr=8-2

Happy cruising everyone :D

THANKS! I am going to try to get some of this!

So, already 2 people have mentioned it - HOPE it really works!

Castaway Cay does have nets. We were just there the first of March. It is paradise!;)

!

Just wanted to say that although they have nets, this will not hold in some small jelly fish. There has also been reportings of sea lice at CC. my sister-in-law was one of the lucky ones! She got too near the bottom, near some seaweed.

..... I cant watch the news because hubby is deployed and my youngest gets upset when she hears "bad stories".

My thoughts and prayers to you and your family. We're not in your shoes just yet but our son is being deployed in December. He leaves for some type of mob training in October, may get to come home for Thanksgiving but will be leaving in Dec.

We do know several that are there. My DH's friend is on his 3rd tour, one of my friends just came back from his second, one friend's son is on his 2nd and another friend's son just left in July for his pre-deployment mob training (he's leaving behind a wife and 9 month old son).

It will be nice for your family to have a reunion cruise when he gets home.

My wife and I got back from a Carnival Destiny Cruise yesterday. While in Antigua we booked an excursion with Wadadli Cats who took us snorkeling. Upon entering the water, we quickly realized they placed us in a SCHOOL OF JELLY FISH!

My wife and I quickly exited the water. Over 1/2 the boat suffered stings. One poor girl was stung on her face and back.

Neither of us were stung because we were in the water for only about 3 minutes. The company had no plan B and still charged everyone for snorkeling despite the fact that we saw 0 fish.

I wouldn't recommend this shore excursion to anyone getting ready to go on Destiny.

Oh No!! Overall did you like the Destiny and ports? I'll be on her in 5 days, WOOHOO! Did you do a review? If so,I'd love to read it. :)

THANKS! I am going to try to get some of this!

So, already 2 people have mentioned it - HOPE it really works!

I'll vouch for Safe-Sea as well. We used it at Coco Cay last October. There were jellyfish in the water and my (adult) kids had some significant contact with them. Other people got some stings, but my kids didn't. It prevents the stinging mechanism on the jellyfish from working. Here is their official web-site: http://www.buysafesea.com/ . It looks like they also have an after sting product now.

The man-o-war are the blue bubble looking things that float at the surface and have a single thread like whip ( incredibly painfull , feels like a blow torch on your skin ) , of course we all know what a jelly fish looks like . Just thought Id throw that out there ..Oh yea , they also can sting you when dead on the beach , just blowin in the wind :eek:

mpk

It prevents the stinging mechanism on the jellyfish from working. Here is their official web-site: http://www.buysafesea.com/ . It looks like they also have an after sting product now.

Its weird how I have never read much about jellyfish, sea lice, wan o war, ect....

But after this accident and with all the info you guys are giving us, I have been reseaching online about all these "critters".

We are going to buy the safesea. I have already told my son about it, so if it doesnt work, Im coming to find us guys (make sure you have city and state in your profiles). Just joking - but I do hope it works! He says hes ready to try it and get back on his "boogie board". Honestly, Im scared :(

Back to seasafe - I wonder why you can only buy it online? Are there any stores out there that carry it? I see online it says "some dive shops carry it but is hard to find" Anyone saw it in a store?

The man-o-war are the blue bubble looking things that float at the surface and have a single thread like whip ( incredibly painfull , feels like a blow torch on your skin ) , of course we all know what a jelly fish looks like . Just thought Id throw that out there ..Oh yea , they also can sting you when dead on the beach , just blowin in the wind :eek:

mpk

Another thing to add about man o war, if you know that is what stung you, do not use the vinegar. It will make the pain worse.

SEE, I told you I had been researching!

Hi,

I must say welcome to Savannah, I hope you enjoy it here I have lived here for 16 years and I drive a school bus for chatham county, My family and I are going on the sensation in 2 weeks, I will let you know how it goes. We are going on the 3 day cruise. Our twins are excited they are going because it is the 16th birthday cruise. I will post a review when we get back. Glad to hear he is doing fine.. Have some fun in Savannah..

We just moved here in March. The times we went to Tybee went to the beach by the pier. This time, I wanted to see the lighthouse. So, we went to the beach there. I felt even worse that there were no lifeguards on that beach- I had no idea.:( I saw the lifeguard stands and assumed they were walking around. My son is doing better he says the pain is gone but he still has huge purple marks on his ankles.

After he was stung, I had googled tybee and the jellfish and saw a TV news story that had just aired about how bad the jellyfish are right now. I cant watch the news because hubby is deployed and my youngest gets upset when she hears "bad stories".

We are doing a 4 nighter on Sensation followed by 4 days at Disneyworld in April! Hubby put in for R&R during the kids Spring break. Then, we are doing Royal Carr. - Liberty of the Seas in Dec. 2008 as a homecoming gift to DH!

Did have a little encounter with some coral in Carribbean (thankfully not the REALLY bad red stuff --but did not get reaction till I got home (days later) --besides localized infection on leg --also had welts/hives all over my torso--spent weeks on steroids ....

janette (jaja)

Hi,

I must say welcome to Savannah, I hope you enjoy it here I have lived here for 16 years and I drive a school bus for chatham county, My family and I are going on the sensation in 2 weeks, I will let you know how it goes. We are going on the 3 day cruise. Our twins are excited they are going because it is the 16th birthday cruise. I will post a review when we get back. Glad to hear he is doing fine.. Have some fun in Savannah..

Thanks! It is a small world huh? I just noticed the zip code - we have the same one - and I am assuming Savannah has a few? We live in Georgetown.

Ahh, you are beating me to the Sensation. We were actually booked on her back April 2006. But she had "issues" and we were changed over to The Fantasy. Have a fun 16th bday cruise and make sure to get them a cake and have the waiters sing to them. :D At 16 - they might be a little red. :o

Enjoy the cruise - we only have a few more weeks until school starts. Cant wait to hear the review!

yes Savannah does have a few.. I drove for Georgetown Elementry Last year out of Kings Grant and the back side of georgetown down chevis and gertrude green and eagles landing area. It is a small world lol I hope to be able to drive for gerogetown again this year. I will let you know how the cruise goes and yes we are going to decorate their cabin with decorations and have the staff sing them happy birthday at the dinner, It is going to be a blast.

Thanks! It is a small world huh? I just noticed the zip code - we have the same one - and I am assuming Savannah has a few? We live in Georgetown.

Ahh, you are beating me to the Sensation. We were actually booked on her back April 2006. But she had "issues" and we were changed over to The Fantasy. Have a fun 16th bday cruise and make sure to get them a cake and have the waiters sing to them. :D At 16 - they might be a little red. :o

Enjoy the cruise - we only have a few more weeks until school starts. Cant wait to hear the review!

Archived