jellyfish sting or other creature mishaps?

beccadoby

yes Savannah does have a few.. I drove for Georgetown Elementry Last year out of Kings Grant and the back side of georgetown down chevis and gertrude green and eagles landing area. It is a small world lol I hope to be able to drive for gerogetown again this year. I will let you know how the cruise goes and yes we are going to decorate their cabin with decorations and have the staff sing them happy birthday at the dinner, It is going to be a blast.

We live in The Colony. LOL world is getting smaller. You might have been my kids bus driver! :D

The stinging cells on a jellyfish can break off and float free from the main jellyfish, you don't have to even see a jellyfish to be stung. Also the stinging cells on a jellyfish washed up on the shore may still be potent.

I started scuba diving in the caribbean in 1975. We were taught to put Adolphs Meat Tenderizer on jelly fish stings to help neutralize the venom and ease the pain. Years ago my young daughter was stung by a jelly fish that had washed up on shore. I rushed her to a local clinic, the doctor brought out a shaker of Adolph Meat Tenderizer.

I always carry Adolphs with me when we go to the beach or snorkle. Don't ask me why it works or why it has to be Adolphs.

thanks

The stinging cells on a jellyfish can break off and float free from the main jellyfish, you don't have to even see a jellyfish to be stung.

And so the news gets worse!

Meat tenderizer, vinegar, after sting, safe sea - my beachbag is getting bigger!

On my last cruise, I met a nice guy who told me about his story. He went to a local's, secluded beach in St. Thomas with a friend who ended up getting stung by a huge jelly fish right in the spinal column. It instantly paralized him. St. Thomas hospitals are a poor substitution for US hospitals, so the was medivaced to Miami, where he died a few weeks later of the sting. This guy I met is a traval agent, and was taking a cruise because he had to get over his fear. He only went on excursions where there were a lot of people around because as he said, when there are people around, the wildlife disappears as fast as it can. I would like to go to Emerald Beach on my next visit to St. Thomas, but part of me is now a little scared. I personally was lightly stung by something in the Bahamas that caused an itching/tingaling sensation that abruptly ended my beach excursion. Also, if you snorkel, don't touch the coral. Not just because you can hurt it, it can also help you as I learned when my backside accidently brushed against coral in Isla Mujares, Mexico!

I just wanted to add one more thing....RELAX. :D

My 2 year old got stung in Cape Cod last year. Whatever it was swam between her legs in VERY shallow water and got both sides. :eek:

Since then she has been on 2 cruises with the 3rd one in 10 days and there have been no more stings.

When we were in Labadee (Haiti....RCCL private beach) we saw 2 people wisked away by medics from some kind of sting.

My point is that not THAT many people get stung by jelly fish. It's kind of like being stuck by lightening...yes it happens. And let's hope it doesn't happen twice.

I considered buying the safe sea but I didn't. Your child is older than mine is so this would put him at ease....so yes I would make sure to buy it and use it.

I am sure he will be fine. No worries mama! :D

Archived