Just back from the Pride

mcorrus

This cruise was nothing short of AWESOME!! I cruised with my hubby, two kids as well as my brother inlaw and hubbys parents. Dispite it being a summer cruise, (the ship was sold out with over 350 kids) I honestly don't remember being bothered by the number of kids. Now to be completely honest, when we were at either of the main pools (not the adult pool) the number of kids was exuberant but that just made for a better time for my kids. We took our kids 5 and 8 to dinner with us everynight and they were extremely well behaved but I don't remember seeing to many other kids in there. The food was above and beyound what I was expecting, amongst other things I had the Lobster, Prime Rib, Chateau Briande, Filet Mignon, Lobster Bisque and those were all just amazing. I had heard some bad things about the Lobster tail here on the message boards and well the one that I got was large in size and tasted exquisite. We were in cabins, 6132 and 6134 which were connecting cabins, this was more than enough room for the four of us. My kids loved having "thier own" cabin and balcony. We had the cabin steward open the slider between the balcony's and we had a nice large open space to be able to sit outside and relax. The kids really enjoyed Camp Carnival, and fortunately that let my five year old move up to the 6-8 group. He will be six in October and has already finished Kindergarden, they made him hang with the 2-5 the first day and he was really board. I think my biggest complaints were the cost of drinks and the cost of the photographs. They make you buy the 8x10 before allowing you to purchase any other size (unless it was orginally printed in a different size). The 8X10 were like $23 each, and of course they were all amazing. It got to the point I didn't want to take any more photo's because I knew I'd want to buy them. Oh speaking of pics here is a link if you want to see some great pics from the cruise.

Over all it was such a great time, and I am already tryiing to plan another one for sprink break of next year. Only this time I am going to try the Western Carribbean. If you have any questions feel free to ask away.

OOOHHH forgot one really really bad thing. The pool deck was extremely slippery, we sat there one day and counted over twenty people in just a couple hours taking pretty good falls. I talked to the pursors desk and they said that the ship will be going into dry dock within the next couple months and they are going to resurface the deck.

This cruise was nothing short of AWESOME!! I cruised with my hubby, two kids as well as my brother inlaw and hubbys parents. Dispite it being a summer cruise, (the ship was sold out with over 350 kids) I honestly don't remember being bothered by the number of kids. Now to be completely honest, when we were at either of the main pools (not the adult pool) the number of kids was exuberant but that just made for a better time for my kids. We took our kids 5 and 8 to dinner with us everynight and they were extremely well behaved but I don't remember seeing to many other kids in there. The food was above and beyound what I was expecting, amongst other things I had the Lobster, Prime Rib, Chateau Briande, Filet Mignon, Lobster Bisque and those were all just amazing. I had heard some bad things about the Lobster tail here on the message boards and well the one that I got was large in size and tasted exquisite. We were in cabins, 6132 and 6134 which were connecting cabins, this was more than enough room for the four of us. My kids loved having "thier own" cabin and balcony. We had the cabin steward open the slider between the balcony's and we had a nice large open space to be able to sit outside and relax. The kids really enjoyed Camp Carnival, and fortunately that let my five year old move up to the 6-8 group. He will be six in October and has already finished Kindergarden, they made him hang with the 2-5 the first day and he was really board. I think my biggest complaints were the cost of drinks and the cost of the photographs. They make you buy the 8x10 before allowing you to purchase any other size (unless it was orginally printed in a different size). The 8X10 were like $23 each, and of course they were all amazing. It got to the point I didn't want to take any more photo's because I knew I'd want to buy them. Oh speaking of pics here is a link if you want to see some great pics from the cruise.

Over all it was such a great time, and I am already tryiing to plan another one for sprink break of next year. Only this time I am going to try the Western Carribbean. If you have any questions feel free to ask away.

OOOHHH forgot one really really bad thing. The pool deck was extremely slippery, we sat there one day and counted over twenty people in just a couple hours taking pretty good falls. I talked to the pursors desk and they said that the ship will be going into dry dock within the next couple months and they are going to resurface the deck.

Hi mcorrus, Glad to hear you had a good time!! We will be on the Pride in January and are really looking foward to it. Do you know about when the pride will be doing a dry dock? I thought I had seen somewhere that it would be in early december. If you dont no biggie :D

mcorrus, Glad to hear you had a great time!! :) I have a few questions ... Did you have to place a request with the purser to have the partition between the balconies opened? Also, does the partition swing open to the bow or aft? Thanks!

We did our own thing in port. For Puerto Vallart we took a cab and went to Sea Life Park, and in Mazatlan we negotiated with the venders when we got of the ship and went to Stone Island where we had open bar and lunch and beach activities for only $150 for six of us. The onboard price for this same trip was like $75 each. Then in Cabo we just walked around,took a glass bottom boat ride which again we were able to negotiate a good price I think we paid like $20 for all four of us. As for the Balcony divider, the pursors desk has a sign up list and you have to get there early because they only have a limited number of clamps. Once the divider is open you can't close it yourself, and it opens forward.

mcorrus - thanks for the review. Could you please tell us what time you got back to Long Beach and approx what time it was when the first people got off the ship? Stupid me:o . When I booked my airfare, I just assumed the ship got in around 6 or 7 am like usual and booked an 11:45 am flight home. Then I notice that the ship isn't supposed to arrive until 9 am :eek: . Also, does Carnival allow you to be off the ship first if you carry your own luggage? Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheryl

Thank you mcorrus for your awesome review and terrific photos! You have a beautiful family and it sure looks like you ALL had a great time on Pride! I sail in 32 days and can hardly wait! Thanks again!

We just booked this ship for 11/18 7 days to Mexico. We have never sailed on Carnival before. The T/A told us yesterday that the ship was going to be refurbished in December...does it look kind of run down, or does the wear and tear not really show. She told us that it was new in 2002 and that it was scheduled to be redone at the end of this year.

We just booked this ship for 11/18 7 days to Mexico. We have never sailed on Carnival before. The T/A told us yesterday that the ship was going to be refurbished in December...does it look kind of run down, or does the wear and tear not really show. She told us that it was new in 2002 and that it was scheduled to be redone at the end of this year.

The ship is beautiful! It does not look worn or run down by any means. You will be very happy with the Pride!

We were on the Pride then, as well. We had a terrific time. I know what you mean about the decks, I slipped every time I walked on them, never fell, though,thank God. My DH and I were without kids this time, and we had a wonderful second honeymoon. Met one of the other cruisecritic members and his son on the Randi's happy horses tour in Mazatlan. Every port was a blast, I was a little surprised at the persistance of the vendors in ports, I expected it, after carribean cruises, but IMHO, the mexican vendors were much more persistant. We purchased a cruise video(my DH was in it, in the hairy chest contest), but when we got it home, the video didn't work. I called Carnival and they said they would send us a new one.

Already thinking about next year, I would love to go to Hawaii, but Carnival doesn't sail there in the summer. NCL does, but I wasn't happy with them when we cruised with them last year, but we'll have to see.

mcorrus - Could you please tell us what time you got back to Long Beach and approx what time it was when the first people got off the ship? Stupid me:o . When I booked my airfare, I just assumed the ship got in around 6 or 7 am like usual and booked an 11:45 am flight home. Then I notice that the ship isn't supposed to arrive until 9 am :eek: . Also, does Carnival allow you to be off the ship first if you carry your own luggage?

Cheryl

Cherlynn, Just go to the Purser's desk on the last night of the cruise and show them your plane tickets. They will give you luggage tags for early departure. When we cruised in July, we arrived in port before 7 AM. We decided to carry our own luggage since I had to be at work by 10:30 about an hour's drive away. We were pulling out of the parking garage by 8:15 AM. You shouldn't have a problem. The longest wait was the line at Customs. I'm not sure whether the early flights or self-carry got off the ship first. They dismissed self-carry by decks (I'm sure it was to cut down on the lines at Customs) but no one checked what deck we were on when we left. We were on Deck 7, and were in the 2nd group called. I think Decks 8 and 2 were called first.

We did our own thing in port. For Puerto Vallart we took a cab and went to Sea Life Park, and in Mazatlan we negotiated with the venders when we got of the ship and went to Stone Island where we had open bar and lunch and beach activities for only $150 for six of us. The onboard price for this same trip was like $75 each. Then in Cabo we just walked around,took a glass bottom boat ride which again we were able to negotiate a good price I think we paid like $20 for all four of us. As for the Balcony divider, the pursors desk has a sign up list and you have to get there early because they only have a limited number of clamps. Once the divider is open you can't close it yourself, and it opens forward.

How was the Sea Life Park? Is it worth going to?

Thanks

I see you have a picture of the piano bar. Did you spend any evenings there? I was on the Pride in February, and Duane played in the piano bar at night. We had a blast with Duane. He made the whole week sooo much fun. He even found a few groupies along the way. I am wondering if he is still on the ship. I can't remember when he was getting off.

Love2relax - thanks so much for the info. My blood pressure went down a few notches! A trip to the pursers office will hopefully take care of us. I just wonder why it says that we won't be into port until 9 a.m. We'll just have to pack light and hope for the best. Our biggest concern is that we will have our 4 year old granddaughter with us and I don't want to stress her out. If she acts like most kids I hear about, she will have to be dragged out kicking and screaming because they don't want to leave Camp Carnival! Thanks again.

Archived