Dining in Long Beach

DougandEric

We are staying overnight 11/17/2007 at the Renaissance Long Beach before our Diamond Princess Hawaii cruise and I have a couple of questions.

1. On the maps I'm seeing something called the 'Promenade' that appears to be a pedestrian walk from Ocean Blvd to the harbor area and through the convention center. Is this true and is it accessible in the evening - thinking of walking from hotel to Shoreline Village for dinner. Google Earth says it's about 1/2 mile which is fine with us for walking. Is this a good route to take or should we stick to the major streets?

2. We plan to take a taxi from the hotel to San Pedro on sailing day. Can anyone give me an approximate cost for this? It appears to be about 7 miles so I'm thinking $20?

3. Any other suggestions for restaurants for dinner on Saturday night? We're on vacation so price doesn't really matter but good food and atmosphere do! Is there any restaurants that serve 'California cuisine' in the area - most just seem to be chains that are everywhere any more.

Thanks in advance!

Doug

Here's a website for you to check out:http://www.visitlongbeach.com. It's got lots of great information for visitors. We have a great selection of restaurants.

Also check with your hotel regarding your plans for walking to the restaurant of your choice. We also have great transportation. The Passport (a local bus) is free in the downtown area if you're unable to walk.

I hope you like the information on the web site.

Winnie

Um, what's "California cuisine?":o

There are quite a number of nice restaurants along Pine Street. King's Fish House is a little boisterous, but serves good seafood and sushi, Madison Steak House is pricey but great steaks and an elegant setting in a converted bank building. L'Opera across the street from Madison serves great Italian. All of those are within easy walking distance of your hotel.

A little off the beaten path (requires a cab ride) is Cafe Piccolo, a wonderful Italian restaurant in a garden setting, Christy's (more Italian), Lasher's ("American")...

Lots of choices for a unique dining experience!

I just don't know what "California" cuisine is anymore...

Hello...

I agree with all of Critterchick's recommendations...right on target...

ALL of the restaurants she's suggested are very popular and I'd make your Saturday night reservations a week in advance. My personal favorite for food and ambiance is l'Opera.

Have fun!

murphysmum;)

I'll throw in my favorite here as well:

Parker's Lighthouse

It's in Shoreline Village--right at the "point" (duh...it's a "lighthouse", or, at least ostensibly is one)...Pretty good California style Seafood and great harbor views, including a view of the Queen Mary...

http://www.visitlongbeach.com/listings/index.cfm?action=displayListing&listingID=263&catID=46&locID=0&startrange=All&endrange=All&substart=A&subend=Z&notify=1&navid=30

http://www.parkerslighthouse.com

Thanks for all the info.

'California Cuisine' as I think of it is fresh local ingredients, lots of fresh veg, herbs, cooking with local wines - sort 'new American'? There is a restaurant in San Diego at Horton Plaza called something like the Napa Grill which is what I think of (from Florida!) as California cuisine. The food was varied and tasty with a good wine list.

We had a Parkers Lighthouse in Tampa a number of years ago but it left for some reason. It was on the water and there was a person who came around to the tables handing out cheddar/garlic biscuits and butter. Is this the same at the PH in Long Beach? Maybe not the same outfit.

We're narrowing it down to either Parkers or l'Opera but that could change at any time!

Doug

http://www.lopera.com/

To help you make your decision. I will warn you that the wine list is eyepoppingly expensive. We had a Bartolo Mascarello, Dolcetto d’Alba, 2004 h(yes, I had to cut & paste that) whiich at $45 was one of the least expensive wines on the list. But it was heavenly. Do a search on the wine list for "yum" and you will find it.

Here are two of our favorite restaurants in Long Beach:

1) The Auld Dubliner on 71 South Pine Ave. 90802 562-437-8300 is walking distance from the Renaissance. You just cross Ocean walking towards Rainbow Harbor on Pine & it's across the street from the convention center. You can see the menu here. We've never needed a reservation.:

http://www.aulddubliner.com/logo.html

2) Our other favorite is the Chelsea Restaurant on the Queen Mary. You would definitely have to make a reservation for this one. 562-499-1685. You enter (no charge) through the hotel entrance & go to the promenade deck. Open for dinner Wed. - Sun. 5:30 - 10 p.m. but we like to take the tour at 6:45 p.m. (around $12) & to dine around 8 p.m. You can also just enjoy walking along the promenade deck & doing your own exploring of the ship before or after your dinner. Free validated parking.

www.queenmary.com

http://www.queenmary.com/index.php?page=dining

You can see their menu using the above link.

We enjoy having a pre cocktail also at the Observation Bar. Unique decor!

How about a good Mexican food restaurant in Long Beach, near the Hyatt? We will have our car, so I guess it doesn't HAVE to be near the Hyatt. :p

Looks like Sharky's might be good??? We will have DD with us or we would hit the Mai Tai Bar for some Hawaiian fun. :) Will save that one for another visit. We are just looking for good food that isn't outrageously expensive... after a long drive.

Hi suzihmkr, across from the Hyatt looking at Rainbow Harbor is Shoreline Village. Just as you enter through the parking gate, you'll see Tequila Jack's Beachhouse Cantina, 407 Shoreline Village Drive, 562-628-0454. It's right between the Carousel & The Yardhouse. They have a happy hour until 6 p.m. with $1 tacos, $2.50 beer, free nachos & salsa & $2.95 margaritas. Their food is reasonable. They have a salsa bar so you can spice up or spice down :) your Mexican food. Besides tacos, burritos, chile rellenos, tostadas, fajitas, etc. they also serve fish, shrimp, steak, burgers, etc. Here's their website: www.tequilajacks.com You can see their menu with prices & also a map. If you sit outside you'll have a great view of the marina.

Don't forget to validate your parking ticket & it will end up being around $1.

And for other choices within walking distance of the Hyatt (in case your tastebuds overrule you), there's Gladstone's 4 Fish, PF Chang's & Outback Steakhouse almost right across the street from the hotel. Also California Pizza Kitchen, Islands, Chilis (?) and a few more I can't remember along Pine Street south of Ocean.

Just as you enter through the parking gate, you'll see Tequila Jack's Beachhouse Cantina, 407 Shoreline Village Drive, 562-628-0454. It's right between the Carousel & The Yardhouse.

And for other choices within walking distance of the Hyatt (in case your tastebuds overrule you), there's Gladstone's 4 Fish, PF Chang's & Outback Steakhouse almost right across the street from the hotel. Also California Pizza Kitchen, Islands, Chilis (?) and a few more I can't remember along Pine Street south of Ocean.

Tequila Jacks sounds perfect! Thanks Scampi! Love the idea of kicking off a Mexican Riviera cruise with a good Mexican meal!

Jean - it sounds like you have been down to Long Beach alot! ;) :D PF Changs is one of my fav's... Lettuce wraps! Tried to make them at home, and it just isn't the same! And we never get to Outback because the closest one is in a city we don't travel to at night.... Islands sounds fun! Oh, the choices!

I would also suggest Bubba Gumps to anyone that wants a fun meal and they don't have one near them. They even have one in Lahaina! We have one in Monterey. Fun & good food too.

Does this Shoreline Village have it's own website? I imagine there is shopping there too. I definitely want to check out the Pirate store!

Jean - no comments about my bootie!! :rolleyes: :D :eek:

Suzihmkr, here's the website. Shoreline Village is right across the street from the Hyatt but it's a very busy street. That's why suggested using your car. Also, just to the west of the Hyatt is the Long Beach Pike area, lots of interesting shops, restaurants, etc. There's

a ferris wheel there. Often there are outdoor craft & art shows on weekends near the ferris wheel.

www.shorelinevillage.com

Thanks so much! Sounds like we need to leave the house a little earlier so we can have some more time in Long Beach.

Oh! It looks like Seaport Village in San Diego!

Ohhhh! And a boat parade the night we will be there. Added fun! yeah!

Thanks again!

http://www.lopera.com/

To help you make your decision. I will warn you that the wine list is eyepoppingly expensive. We had a Bartolo Mascarello, Dolcetto d’Alba, 2004 h(yes, I had to cut & paste that) whiich at $45 was one of the least expensive wines on the list. But it was heavenly. Do a search on the wine list for "yum" and you will find it.

Are jackets required or would khakis and a nice shirt suffice? The menu looks great and you're right, the wine list is a bit pricey.

Archived